Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where do you get duplicate keys made?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bazza
Hello all.....

I only have 1 key for my teener. It's a Ilco brand duplicate that came with the car - no key code on it.

I bought a couple blanks and took them to my local hardware store and the guy tried to make a duplicate but the key kept popping out when he tried to do the second side. Apparently there's not much surface area left for the gripper to hold onto.

I went to a more specialized locksmith this morning and after looking at it he said he could try but couldn't guarantee success. I elected not to destroy another blank so just left.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA!
mepstein
Send it to "tweet" on this site. Full service. Great service. Fast service.

He's done Porsche and motorcycle locks and keys for me. 100% satisfied.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
call your local locksmith and they will cut for you, they could even guess the different tumbler heights and cut a perfect key rather than duplicating a worn one.
We cut Porsche keys here all of the time and although a bit tricky, especially when worn, have no problem with them. Best though to go to a locksmith who can put the heights into his machine and cut a perfect one

QUOTE(Bazza @ May 23 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Hello all.....

I only have 1 key for my teener. It's a Ilco brand duplicate that came with the car - no key code on it.

I bought a couple blanks and took them to my local hardware store and the guy tried to make a duplicate but the key kept popping out when he tried to do the second side. Apparently there's not much surface area left for the gripper to hold onto.

I went to a more specialized locksmith this morning and after looking at it he said he could try but couldn't guarantee success. I elected not to destroy another blank so just left.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA!

ChrisFoley
Find a locksmith with a digital key cutter and see if they can use program New ITL #354 on key blank P05.
The cut pattern has 10 digits. Starting with the first position closest to the handle of the key the digits are numbered 1 thru 4, with one being the tallest and four being cut down practically against the fat center part of the key. If you took apart a key lock cylinder each wafer is stamped with the correct number.
When I can't "see" the height of each position by eye I measure with a caliper. As I said, there are 4 heights, although some keys may not use all 4. Each height is a uniform distance from the next.

This is so much better than trying to copy a worn key.
nditiz1
I took to a local locksmith. Thought it would be a lot, but it was only $3.00. Worked great.
Bazza
Thanks for all the replies so far.

For those advising to take it to a local locksmith - I did and it didn't work out.

I will see about the digital cutter and maybe go that route.

Never heard of the member named "tweet" but will send him a PM too.

Thanks again!
Chris H.
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 23 2018, 12:05 PM) *

Send it to "tweet" on this site. Full service. Great service. Fast service.

He's done Porsche and motorcycle locks and keys for me. 100% satisfied.

Yes he also sells rekey kits for those whose locks don't all work with the same key. PM him and he'll help you.
Bazza
Quick followup....Tweets was very helpful and offered to reproduce my key, however I was at Walmart this morning and for the heck of it checked out their services and they have a machine there that uses a laser to cut keys. You stick your original in, it copies the cuts, then tells you what blank to use (I brought my own blank, naturally), stick in the blank, and it cuts it just like that!

Got home and tested it and it works perfectly!

Out the door....$1.90! smile.gif

I didn't check out the local Home Depot but heard they make keys too - maybe with a similar device.

Nice to have options.....

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.