Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any non-terminal reasons for a car to sit low in the back?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
OK, OK, I know that nothing is truly terminal but why would a car sit lower the back if not for suspension mounting point rust? have you seen people cut springs in just the rear or otherwise lower the car but not the front?
Mark Henry
Original 914's sat higher in the front to meet headlight height requirements.
Easy to lower the front, it has adjusters, but if you lower it by much you need an alignment (camber).
We don't cut springs, you can buy rear shocks with adjustable spring perches. Many also buy better springs, but this isn't how you lower the rear.
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 25 2018, 07:00 AM) *

OK, OK, I know that nothing is truly terminal but why would a car sit lower the back if not for suspension mounting point rust? have you seen people cut springs in just the rear or otherwise lower the car but not the front?

Sagging springs is the main cause.
I have not seen any one cut springs to lower a car. Not the way to do it.
Tdskip
SO, the approach would be use the very handy front ride height adjustment and then refresh the rear bits and see how she sits before freaking out?

Not my car, looking at one.

Yeah, I know Gabe, I know....

Thanks gentlemen!
mepstein
Every 914 I have purchased, about 20 so far, has had worn out rear springs. The stock ones were very light - I have heard as little as 60lbs.
Paragon products carry 100lb springs.
If you also replace your rear shocks, make sure to save the spring pearches. They are not included with new shocks.

Buying tip - If the rear passenger tire is leaning in more than the driver side, it’s usually a failing rear console. $$$. It’s not just an alignment issue.
Tdskip
Good reminder on that, thanks!
burton73
That reminds me of a song by WAR

All my friends know the low rider
The low rider is a little higher
Low rider drives a little slower
Low rider is a real goer
Low rider knows every street, yeah
Low rider is the one to meet, yeah
Low rider don't use no gas now
Low rider don't drive too fast
Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip and see
Take a little trip, take a little trip
Take a little trip with me

Bob B driving-girl.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.