Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA 1.7L vs rest of US
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
CA engines had lower compression and thus less HP: 69 vs 76 respectively. Since I own a CA car, but live in SC, can I make any "free" modifications to increase HP?
Brad Roberts
You can do whatever you like. Going with a good stock 2.0 would be the first "mild" upgrade if you want to stay "stockish" with injection. Otherwise you can do anything that your wallet can handle.

B
BCinSC
I meant can I increase compression, advance timing, etc to THIS motor to improve HP?
anthony
At what cost though to get back 7hp? I think you have to replace pistons to remove the CA specs from the engine but I'm not sure.

Find a 2L core engine and rebuild it over time to 2056 specs. You'll have 110-120 hp if you spend money on head work and a nice cam.

Or, find a known good running complete 2L engine from someone who is doing a 6 conversion and drop it in. That would be the best bang for the buck.
garyh
QUOTE(anthony @ Jul 12 2003, 09:11 AM)
I think you have to replace (the) pistons to remove the CA specs from the engine.

Correct.
Bruce Allert
My 73 is an EB (California) 1.7. It runs strong but not like the stock 2.0's I've driven. I just aquired a 2.0 that's been sitting for 5 years and am about to dive into it & see if it will run. I was told it ran good before being parked so...
the adventure begins chowtime.gif Need to find a motor stand and I'll start having fun smile.gif
bruce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.