Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help on tightening the alternator belt!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
On-going alternator belt issue...

Put my old belt back on (shorter than my new belt that kept falling off, hmmm), but I am still having a massively hard time tensioning it! I can't really yank on the pulley very hard, and certainly can't tighten the screws while doing that. I don't see a jack screw anywhere.

So what's the trick?
Cairo94507
I could be wrong, but I think it is shims on the pulley. beerchug.gif
rhodyguy
It's possible the bottom bracket or the arm the alt slides along are broken at the attachments points. I had a chirp when the engine was running and the alt belt would go loose immediately. Iirc it was the bottom bracket.
Cairo94507
OOOPPPS, 4 cylinder car. Sorry.
mobymutt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 25 2018, 07:20 PM) *

It's possible the bottom bracket or the arm the alt slides along are broken at the attachments points. I had a chirp when the engine was running and the alt belt would go loose immediately. Iirc it was the bottom bracket.

I think those are ok, I just can't figure out how to pull the belt tight.
Mark Henry
Did you also loosen the pivot bolt?
I've had to get under the car and pry the alt back and forth a few times to loosen it enough to slide easy.

Don't loosen the adjuster bolt too much, it's a bitch to get back in.
iankarr
As Mark said, first make sure the pivot bolt is loose enough to allow the alt to easily move. Then remove the plastic oval cover facing you, stick a long screwdriver or socket exctension in the hole and lever it against the alt while you tighten the adjuster.
mobymutt
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ May 26 2018, 12:10 AM) *

As Mark said, first make sure the pivot bolt is loose enough to allow the alt to easily move. Then remove the plastic oval cover facing you, stick a long screwdriver or socket exctension in the hole and lever it against the alt while you tighten the adjuster.

To be clear, I am levering against the slot in the tin? Seems a bit iffy, but I'll give it a go!
Dave_Darling
Do not lever against the engine tin unless you want to bend it.

There are two plastic covers over two slots in the engine tin; one on front and one on the side. The front one covers up the pinch bolt. The side one lets you push down on the outer ear of the alternator where the pinch bolt threads in. So that's what you do, use a screwdriver or a socket extension or something to push the outer end down while tightening the pinch bolt through the other slot.

--DD
mobymutt
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 27 2018, 07:52 PM) *

Do not lever against the engine tin unless you want to bend it.

There are two plastic covers over two slots in the engine tin; one on front and one on the side. The front one covers up the pinch bolt. The side one lets you push down on the outer ear of the alternator where the pinch bolt threads in. So that's what you do, use a screwdriver or a socket extension or something to push the outer end down while tightening the pinch bolt through the other slot.

--DD

Ah, thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.