Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear too low - V8 conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DickSteinkamp
I know..."If it's too low...I'm too old". But maybe not in this case.

1976 with a SBC conversion using Renegade and Kennedy parts. Stock rear springs.

I'd like it to sit 1 1/2" higher in the rear (I don't want the front any lower).

What's the solution?
New stock rear springs?
914-6 rear springs?
Some after market springs?
Adjustable spring plates?

IPB Image

Thanks!

mepstein
Probably 180lb springs. Place a WTB in the classifieds. A member here probably has a set.
toolguy
Bilstein shocks for height adjustment and 180-200 lb springs
Steve
Buy a set of Rebel Racing adjustable coil overs. You can manually adjust the ride height. I had to do this when I upgraded to a 915 trans.
barefoot
El-cheapo mod is to use some short pipe couplers placed over the top spring mount.
(That's how mine was configured when i got it)
bdstone914
QUOTE(barefoot @ May 26 2018, 03:32 AM) *

El-cheapo mod is to use some short pipe couplers placed over the top spring mount.
(That's how mine was configured when i got it)

I can see how that could work on the bottom perch as long as they are not Boge shocks. They are special and locate the lower perches on three nubs. Putting it on top spring mount will compress the spring. Adding it to the bottom will also compress the spring too.

Better to get adjustable perch shocks that others suggested.
JRust
Second the 180lb springs. Coil overs are great as you can adjust to what you like. Just springs alone you are stuck with where it sits. I like the option of setting it where I think it looks best
My 914
agree.gif

If you go to all the trouble, it will be nice to have some flexibility in the final height.
Chris914n6
Stock springs are 100lbs and no good for the weight of a V8. 180lb springs are common at most p-car stores. Renegade sells 200lb springs last time I checked that supposedly match better with the stiffer 911 front suspension swap.

Stock shocks will work just fine unless they are dead/leaking. Bilsteins are great for our cars plus have the advantage of some height adjustability. The KYB (white) are valved too stiff and I'd swap them out for a much better ride.
DickSteinkamp
Thanks for the help!

I totally agree that an option that includes an adjustable ride height is the way to go. With my luck, just changing springs would result in a ride height I wasn't happy with.

My understanding is that springs with a higher rating than stock are also shorter than stock. If I'm correct it would be a real crap shoot to know what the ride height would end up being with just a spring change. I guess it could even end up being lower than what I already have.

I drove the car about 50 miles today (first time it's been driven since the late 1980's) and then got it on a level driveway. Here's how it looks now....

IPB Image

When measured at the top of the rocker, it's got a very slight downhill rake (to the front). As a perfectionist dry.gif I would still like it a shade higher in the back (1/2-1"), but I'm going to try to live with it as is.

Thanks again for your input and help!
My 914
It sure looks a lot better than when you started but I agree that another inch of height would be perfect.
Andyrew
Rennegade hybrids sells the springs that go on the stock perches that will fit your needs well...

I wouldn't drive with stock springs. I bet you have 140s in there now or you they would be much lower.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.