Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Install a Blaupunkt Radio?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Biggles
Hi All,

Please can someone advise how i go about installing this Balupunkt Hamburg radio in my -6 car? It didnt have a radio when i bought it so I don't have a reference.

I've been given a couple of brackets with the 'new' radio but i can't see how it's supported on the bulkhead or from above.

I've included a few pics of what i've got, plus one from ebay which shows the U shaped bracket being screwed onto the back - is this right, and what else does it attach onto?

thanks

Chris.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there is a factory blaupunkt u clip that hangs into the two round holes in the firewall bracket, and two clips that bolt around the knob shafts. Then the radio "snaps" in and you install the factory brickweave faceplate with double faced tape and then the radio trim plate then the knobs.
jdamiano
here is a picture of the clip. Not sure where you would buy one. I made mine. I also made two tabs that go on the knob shafts to sandwich the dash between my tabs and the faceplate.
Biggles
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 26 2018, 08:22 PM) *

there is a factory blaupunkt u clip that hangs into the two round holes in the firewall bracket, and two clips that bolt around the knob shafts. Then the radio "snaps" in and you install the factory brickweave faceplate with double faced tape and then the radio trim plate then the knobs.

thanks George. Seems like from jdamiano's post i have the wrong clip at the back.

just seen this link which illustrates things if others are wondering:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=319799
Biggles
QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 26 2018, 09:11 PM) *

here is a picture of the clip. Not sure where you would buy one. I made mine. I also made two tabs that go on the knob shafts to sandwich the dash between my tabs and the faceplate.

thanks. Does anyone have one ?
gcrotvik
QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 26 2018, 01:11 PM) *

Be aware there is a long and a short "C" clip. If you have a short depth Blapunkt chassis, the short clip may not be long enough. If you a long depth chassis. the short and the long "C" clip will work. The clip in the picture is the short clip I believe.

Greg
edrotol
QUOTE(Biggles @ May 26 2018, 04:03 PM) *

Have one.$60.00 plus shipping to UK. Can send picture if interested to your email address. Let me know.
Biggles
QUOTE(edrotol @ May 27 2018, 12:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Biggles @ May 26 2018, 04:03 PM) *

Have one.$60.00 plus shipping to UK. Can send picture if interested to your email address. Let me know.

Thanks but for $60 I’ll make one !
Biggles
QUOTE(gcrotvik @ May 27 2018, 12:16 AM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 26 2018, 01:11 PM) *

Be aware there is a long and a short "C" clip. If you have a short depth Blapunkt chassis, the short clip may not be long enough. If you a long depth chassis. the short and the long "C" clip will work. The clip in the picture is the short clip I believe.

Greg

Ok thanks Greg for the advice
76-914
No one has mentioned this so I will. If drilling, just remember the gas tank sits about 1/2" on the other side of that bulkhead.
jdamiano
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 27 2018, 10:54 AM) *

No one has mentioned this so I will. If drilling, just remember the gas tank sits about 1/2" on the other side of that bulkhead.

When I made my clip I used a big punch at an angle against wood and made the tabs that fit in the holes in the firewall bracket just like the one made for the job. I used some needle nose pliers to shape the tabs.
Biggles
QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 27 2018, 06:38 PM) *

When I made my clip I used a big punch at an angle against wood and made the tabs that fit in the holes in the firewall bracket just like the one made for the job. I used some needle nose pliers to shape the tabs.

Thanks, yes I’d agree with that approach for thin gauge metal.

porschetub
QUOTE(Biggles @ May 28 2018, 08:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jdamiano @ May 27 2018, 06:38 PM) *

Thanks, yes I’d agree with that approach for thin gauge metal.

Yeah that will work but just go for a metal fastening bracket as in the pic.....good way to stop some bugger stealing your nice restored radio.
I ditched the Blaupunkt clip for my newer Blaupunkt h/unit cause it wouldn't fit made a bracket to hold the unit solid.
My original euro Frankfurt stays in my collection in a safe place beer.gif .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.