Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 914 1.8 Fuel Pump going out?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
auto_cran
Long time 914 owner and lurker here...

Car is a '74 914 1.8 - all stock (original FI) - the fuel pump has been relocated to the front.

Took the car out to a friends house to day - car drove fine but as I reached my destination, I noticed a hum noise. Didn't think much of it.

About 2 hours later on the drive home, driving at speed (30-40 mph was fine), but every time I approached a red light (let off the gas) - the engine died. Started right back, idled fine, ran.

By the time I got home, that hum I had notice earlier was very loud - and I realized it was coming from the front of the car (fuel pump). Car barely idled and barely got it in the garage. Tired and late, I left it at that.

My initial thought is my fuel pump is shot. What do you think?

And if it is my fuel pump - where do I get a replacement? Quickly looked on Pelican's and didn't see one listed.

thanks in advance!

Chris

TheCabinetmaker
clean or replace filter.
StarBear
Yep; try fuel filter. Other (much more painful) is the sock filter in the bottom of the fuel tank. Yes - replacement parts are getting harder to find, but try other sources; they're available (but not always useful....)
auto_cran
Thanks guys - will examine the filter first. Simple enough.

I guess I didn't think of that due to noise the pump was making. Typically I never hear the pump - but man, it was making all kinds of noises!

Anyways - I'll check the filter and report back.

Chris
jim_hoyland
What caused the humm....,,,,,
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I agree, AND the strainer sock!

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ May 26 2018, 08:24 PM) *

clean or replace filter.
TheCabinetmaker
Yes. Please add a follow up, so someone else might benefit from the experience. Thank you @auto_cran
SirAndy
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Dec 1 2018, 08:48 AM) *

What caused the humm....,,,,,

If the fuel filter gets clogged, the pump doesn't get enough fuel which in turn makes the pump get louder.

It's pretty bad for a pump to run dry, they use the fuel to cool the pumps internals. If it runs on fumes for too long, it will eventually seize.
shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Andy said it right!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.