Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could you guys do a virtual PPI on this one for me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
'75 2.0l converted to a single carb.

Passenger side jacking donut is rusty and needs to be replaced. AC car but likely not factory AC (I don't know much about AC on these). Front and rear trunks were crudely sprayed during a repainted that was done 10-15 years ago, some scab there but hard to tell how serious.

Car sits low in the back, has for at least 10 years. Starts, runs, drives, stops.

50+ pictures on the link.

1975 914 with pictures click here

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
McMark
Can't really see too much. A couple first impressions:

-The battery tray has been... uh.... replaced? hacked? confused24.gif I'd expect something ugly below that. This correlates with the 'jack donut rust', and is probably a larger rust issue. It may not be a deal-breaker, but there's no pictures to indicate if it's bad or terrible or horrific.

-The AC is a pretty standard 914 install. None of them were factory A/C, everything was dealer installed. The system can be refurbished to work pretty well.

-Aftermarket alarm system should be carefully removed. They're not necessarily a problem, but usually these are wired in terrible, horrible ways. Removing the hack-job and repairing any damage will reduce the possibility of any of that causing unexpected problems down the road.

-Lots of overspray indicates a low-dollar paint job. Those are the types of paint jobs where bondo is used heavily. So there could very well be problems hiding just below the surface that will reappear in a few years.

-The price seems on the high side of the ballpark, based on the pictures. But a WAY more thorough inspection should be done before committing. The hell hole being the most concerning, but also removing the rockers, inspecting under the carpet where the seat belts mount and behind the seats. It seems likely that it's a decent driver-quality car, and seems like an acceptable starting point for a restoration. There WILL be metalwork needed. If you're not ready for that, consider you'd spend $4k-10k on shop-labor to make the chassis perfect.

And I'll reiterate that the pictures are VERY inconclusive. So I'm being a bit optimistic, and reality could turn ugly fast.
rhodyguy
I think it might have some rust issues. dry.gif when you get to the gapping hole in the front trunk you might be in for a surprise or 2. Not to include the holes everywhere for the lines. The right front of the engine compartment will be a thing of beauty.. icon8.gif
Coondog
Your in Calif and the cars in Georgia........means keep looking.

In my book OBO on a fixer upper means your at my front door with cash, not your out of state trying to make a phone deal and then it’s got to be shipped...., mad.gif

Good luck in your search. Took me 2 years
Tdskip
Thanks for the responses. I am "just" looking for a driver to pick at while I slowly progress my 914/6 build, but you've confirmed the alarm bills that were ringing on body condition here.

If anyone here is local to this car in Georgia and is not scared away send me a PM as the seller has expressed flexibility on price.
Cairo94507
Plenty of better starting points here in CA. Shipping that car from GA would likely cost $1,200 or more.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 27 2018, 09:33 AM) *

Plenty of better starting points here in CA. Shipping that car from GA would likely cost $1,200 or more.

Oh fine, save me from me.

Thnaks for the sanity check gentlemen.
PanelBilly
Move on
Tbrown4x4
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 27 2018, 07:24 AM) *

Thanks for the responses. I am "just" looking for a driver to pick at while I slowly progress my 914/6 build, but you've confirmed the alarm bills[color=#FF0000] that were ringing on body condition here.

If anyone here is local to this car in Georgia and is not scared away send me a PM as the seller has expressed flexibility on price.

Deep down you know this is a bad situation. You actually typed "alarm BILLS", because that's all you will have down the road.

Take it from someone who has purchased a car he should not have. Run.
McMark
agree.gif Didn't even look at the locations...

Pass.
walterolin
'nother obvious flag: 50 photos, but not one pic of the things you really need to see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.