Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this be done?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Ok, I'm in the 'can I do this' stage of planning my next project. Here's my thoughts on what I'm thinking things will cost.

Without copying EXACTLY, I'm looking for what Joe did with the 914RS. I don't need a 3.6, more like a 2.4 or a 2.7. I DO want steel flares, big brakes, custom leather interior, 17" boxter rims, and custom paint. I could see myself building a wiring harness from scratch if the one in the tub I get is trash. That's the kind of stuff I like to do. I'll just do the rough bodywork this time, and let someone more qualified do the REAL mud/paint. Oh...and I want to drive it to Portland for WCC-06. biggrin.gif

Take a gander, let me know how far off I am...and I'm sure I am.

Tub & Strip $900
Flares $600
Longs and floors $600
Paint $1,500
Rotors and Suspension $2,500
Wheels & tires $1,200
Motor $3,500
Interior $1,500
Misc Extras $1,500

Total $13,800
Joe Bob
In the ball park.....don't forget oil tank and lines....that's about a 1,000 more or less..
CptTripps
Oh, I almost forgot...

I'll be selling the one I just did to fund it... :duck:
tat2dphreak
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 11:31 AM)
Oh, I almost forgot...

I'll be selling the one I just did to fund it... :duck:

ohmy.gif chair.gif spank.gif

you better be jokin' tonto! unsure.gif
Mueller
steel flares for $600??? where???? smile.gif

try $900 from the usual suspects.....

for the paint, unless you do a TJ job, I don't see anyone touching the car for that price....
djm914-6
As said before, it's better to start with a partial project than create a new on for scratch.

Take my car for example. I bought it for $5k. Did a buncha work. Still needs $1.2K in fender repairs plus flares and a cage.
TravisNeff
I think you could do it for that price. I'd yourself at least another 5k cushion for the unknown.
CptTripps
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 10 2005, 11:34 AM)
steel flares for $600??? where???? smile.gif

try $900 from the usual suspects.....

for the paint, unless you do a TJ job, I don't see anyone touching the car for that price....

ok, so I'm off by 300 there...

The paint is from the body sop next-door. They did the last coat on this one, and if I di the rough-work, they'll shoot it for that.
anthony
All the 4 to 6 conversion parts retail for $4K. Maybe you can shave $1K off that my deal hunting for the next year.
SLITS
Body.....$500
Paint (TJ)....$800
Engine (2.0).....$350
Tranny (side)....$100
Engine Tin.........$100
Throttle shit.......$ 75
Wheels..............$250
SC Front End.....$700
Rear T Arm.........$200
Tairs..................$300
Oil Tank.............$500
Lines..................$300
Tach...................$ 50
Shift Linkage.......$100
SS brake lines.....$80
Shocks (KY).........$250
What ever...........$300

Total..................$4965 biggrin.gif
John
I'm sure it can be done for under 15k, but I don't believe that you will end up with the same caliber end product as 914RS.

That car took some serious cash to put together.

Keep a close eye on the classifieds and find the best deals you can, (and find a bargin motor like Trekor did).
Mueller
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Jun 10 2005, 09:42 AM)
I think you could do it for that price. I'd yourself at least another 5k cushion for the unknown.

agree.gif ....I think it's a doable project/goal...the key is getting the what is needed and what is "wanted"

you want nice big brakes, but do you need to spend the extra money for the bling-bling factor of GT2 calipers???

boxster/944 turbo calipers are nice and cheaper...the money differance can be put to better use someplace else on the car....
Kerrys914
wink.gif
Speaking from experience...

Don't forget to plan on some "unexpected" issues to come up.
- Upgrades due to a bad case of "While you are there" and reading this board headbang.gif
- Tune-up parts
- Special Tools
- Fixing mistakes, they do happen
- The engine might need some work. $3500 will get a engine with some miles on it. Nothing wrong with that but it's hard to tell what you have. I broke an exhaust stud and that lead to some decent cash.
- Headers and other exhaust items
- Oil cooler mod
- Engine mount
- And installing/fab'n anything you can like flares?? welder.gif welder.gif

Cheers

Cheers
CptTripps
Yeah, I know he dumped a lot into it, but I don't need things like CF lids, 5gal oil pump, and a euro-3.6. I'm more looking at things like the concept he ended up with. No glass in the doors, wide and low, clean/new wiring...

I agree that finding a half-done project is a good place to start, but I'd almost rather KNOW what I'm dealing with...you know?
SirAndy
seems like i'm in "nagging" mode today ... biggrin.gif

every /6 conversion that i have seen that was done "on a budget" looked like a /6 conversion that was done on a budget.
some looked even worse ... icon8.gif

if you do it right, it'll cost 'ya,
rolleyes.gif Andy
CptTripps
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 10 2005, 11:57 AM)
seems like i'm in "nagging" mode today ... biggrin.gif

every /6 conversion that i have seen that was done "on a budget" looked like a /6 conversion that was done on a budget.
some looked even worse ... icon8.gif

if you do it right, it'll cost 'ya,
rolleyes.gif Andy

I'm certainly not planning a 'budget 6' at $15K...am I?

The 'budget' ones I've seen have all been Sub-5K jobs...
John
Yours is definately a workable project.

It is similar (but faster paced) to my own current project.

My current -6 project is in extra slow motion. Mine will have steel flares, a 3.2, a 915 trans, SC front end, etc.

I'm not adding up my totals.

I am going to do mine in two big steps:

1. Steel Flares / SC front suspension, 5-lug conversion

2. 3.2 Carrera eng / 915 trans.

My car will be street driven and will not be a "show quality" paint job. I will make it as nice as it needs to be for a street car.

I have most of the parts to do my flares (i still need some bearings and misc parts). I have a few of my engine and trans parts.

I am collecting all the parts to complete the phase before I will start. I hate getting to a point where I'm waiting to get a major component and have the whole project sit midstream..

I forsee completing Phase 1 (this winter).

I know exactly what you mean about knowing what you have and not wanting someone elses unfinished project, but there are some serious cost savings to obtaining all the required parts in a one-shot deal.

Just my $0.02 and some food for thought.
Eddie Williams
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 10:26 AM)
...I'm looking for what Joe did with the 914RS...

Is there a thread detailing Joe's car? I'm too lazy to search.
dakotaewing
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 12:03 PM)

The 'budget' ones I've seen have all been Sub-5K jobs...

Doug -

The talent you showed putting this last car together was incredible - I have no doubt that if you build a six it will be an awesome car -
That being said, if I were a betting man, I would dare say that building any six conversion on a budget will run close to 20K - The turtlegirl build I beleive has an estimated budget "I believe" of about that amount -
I would guess the "RS" was twice that amount...
Just my .0002

Thom
brant
Yeah...
I think it would be safer to figure 20K.

You seem to do VERY nice work and good attention to detail, so that will surely drive up the "while your there"

and TONS of things will pop up that you didn't count on like rebushing the webbers, or exhaust, or the flywheel.

I am really scarred to total up my car.
I think I spend close to 40K on it, and it was supposed to be on a budget too.

brant
SirAndy
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 10:03 AM)

i wasn't talking to you. i was talking to the guys that were quoting numbers < $5k ...

wink.gif Andy
CptTripps
Man, if Craig hadn't sold the orange Root Works 6...I should have just gone for that...

I think I'll just start collecting parts...I'll see if I can get my hands on a $200 tub and start there. Maybe just a piece at a time.

bondo
I think you could do it for that.. but by WCC06? That seems like the tough part. Doing things on a budget takes time because the good deals aren't all available at once.. you have to jump on them as they turn up. smile.gif It can take 6 months just to find the right tub at the right price.

I vote for the 2.4... Gotta love the MFI! smile.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 09:40 AM)
Man, if Craig hadn't sold the orange Root Works 6...I should have just gone for that...

I think I'll just start collecting parts...I'll see if I can get my hands on a $200 tub and start there. Maybe just a piece at a time.

When I get my AA flares (Ordered 4 weeks ago), Criag might have a steel flared 2.7 (late big oil pump 77' case), dark grey car for sale. idea.gif
goose2
Doug...I'm the guy who bought the orange RootWerks 6. By the time I get done with wheels, tires, brakes, heat, cosmetic stuff, and all the other little nicities, I expect to be over that 15k mark. The help I've gotten from club members has been invaluable in keeping the costs under control. I actually traded my way into the car so it's impossible to say how much cash I have invested...I think Craig and I both did OK on the deal...but 15k should be doable if you're resourseful, and I know you are from watching your posts.
brp914
A good rule of thumb is to detail all the known costs (as you have done), and allow for extras. Then make an estimate of time required. Then double each. You'll be surprised that even this is a conservative estimate. Car work, cumpooter work, no matter. If making a street/pleasure car, carbs can be a pain. Kinda hard gettin' the the thing goin', even after sitting a week or so. Plus warm-up, throttle response, gas mileage. If you want a good running OE setup thats not an effin pile of spaghetti, you end up with a 3.2 and a 915, which I'm now doing. But then...
CptTripps
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jun 10 2005, 12:50 PM)

When I get my AA flares (Ordered 4 weeks ago), Criag might have a steel flared 2.7 (late big oil pump 77' case), dark grey car for sale. idea.gif

Well NOW were talkin'...can I pick the color? =)
Root_Werks
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 10 2005, 10:26 AM)
QUOTE (Root_Werks @ Jun 10 2005, 12:50 PM)

Well NOW were talkin'...can I pick the color? =)

Well, the trunks, lids, doors, hinges ect have all already been painted a late 80's Porsche Stone Grey. All I have left to paint is the fender and door jams. But I am waiting on flares still. rolleyes.gif I have heard they hope to get a delivery in on Monday now. So maybe another week or so and I will have flares on!

Right now I am working on the engine bay. Putting in a new engine shelf, cleaning things up and preping for paint. Putting the bulk head mount on ect. welder.gif biggrin.gif
redshift
You guys should just charge a small premium for snagging guys BEFORE you pick colors.

Great work Dan, you rock.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.