Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting an old motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eric914
I have finally realized that to get my car on the rod this summer something needs to be left for next winter. So, I have decided to put a spare 1.8L motor I have in the car and do the 2L rebuild this winter.

I know nothing about this motor. I purchased it from a wrecker in FL for $75.

I started cleaning it up last night. So far no surprises Any suggestions on what I should do to it, or look for, or test for, before I attempt to start it? It turns over by hand OK.

I can borrow the tool to do a compression test. What is the minimum # I want to see.

Thanks in advance.

tat2dphreak
QUOTE (eric914 @ Jun 10 2005, 12:02 PM)
I have finally realized that to get my car on the rod this summer something needs to be left for next winter. So, I have decided to put a spare 1.8L motor I have in the car and do the 2L rebuild this winter.

I know nothing about this motor. I purchased it from a wrecker in FL for $75.

I started cleaning it up last night. So far no surprises Any suggestions on what I should do to it, or look for, or test for, before I attempt to start it? It turns over by hand OK.

I can borrow the tool to do a compression test. What is the minimum # I want to see.

Thanks in advance.

you want ATLEAST 100 on each cylinder and no more than 10% variation between cylinders IIRC... it's in the Haynes, so double check...

put oil down the cylinders, make sure nothing is in the intakes(like rags or rat nests), and exhaust, fresh oil, check the timing, etc...

say some prayers..

jd74914
1) Marvel Mystery Oil down the cylinders is a must (even if it turns over, you don't want to bust any piston rings)
2) Make sure it is all oiled up correctly
3) Crank it a few times to build up oil pressure
4) make sure the exhaust is ok, and do not run it without headers (or heat exchangers) if you do that you're asking for burned valves.

Theres more stuff, but I can't think of other important things right now.
Mueller
i'd replace the push rod tube seals before installing the motor in your car...., just pop off the valve covers and the rocker assemblies....
SLITS
Set valves

Change oil & filter

Static time

Leterrip!!!!!!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.