Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Seat belt options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OLAF
Hi guys, love this forum. I'm finishing my 3 year restoration with the seat belt installation. The retractables I have wont fit. Can you tell me what i need for my 71 and where they can be obtained?

Remember, the 71 has a fixed passenger seat and no headrest mount for a retractable base... I think i need non retractable belts... but not sure. Thanks guys!

Tom_T
Paul,

You need the early 70-72 type of non-retractable 3-point belts for your 71, since the firewall isn't the right one to fit the retractors. Only 73> were retractable & have a different rear firewall section.

Check the classifieds on here, 914club.com, TheSamba.com, evil-bay, etc. &/or check with 914 parts sources like Bruce Stone/bdstone on here, George Hussey at AA, Rich Bontempi at HPH, etc. who are the known sources with stashes of nice used/NOS parts - depending on how perfect you need/want. AASE in OH may also have something nice used/NOS but very pricey, &/or auto yards, pick-a-part, etc. may have something in various used condition.

PS - Maybe Stoddard's there in OH too?

Good Luck! beerchug.gif flag.gif
Tom
///////
theer
agree.gif with one small exception: my ‘72 has provisions for retractable belts, so the changeover must have been mid-72 model year sometime.

Dave_Darling
A good welder/fabricator can transplant the reinforcements from a later firewall to yours; that would allow you to use the later retractable belts.

The stock belts were not retractable, though.

There is another type of belt that bolts the retractor on the B-pillar where the upper bracket mounts in the stock setup.

--DD
mepstein
This thread will explain your options.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=seat+belt
dr914@autoatlanta.com
all 72-76 models had provisions for the retracaibles, however until the end of 12/71 production the belts were non retractables.
The original 70-71 cars had no provision in the firewall for the roller assembly, so you are relegated to the non retractalbes. At one time an aftermarket manufacturer made a set but those are long gone. The roller assembly mounted on the inner roll bar bolster.
Check with seat belt planet, maybe they would have something that would fit, they seem to offer retractables for a early 911 912
The original factory belts are impossible to find, as 914-6 owners are gobbling them up and do not care what they pay for them. Snake oyl products restores the originals if you have anything, and we have many many many new (NOS) holsters (receivers) with release button (Tom can attest to this! LOL)
McMark
I'm planning to get a set of original non-retracting belts rechromed and rewebbed. Adjusting those belts is a pain, but I suspect that once everything is redone they'll be MUCH easier to adjust.
OLAF
Thank you all. Again, this is an amazing group, full of good information.

best regards,
Paul (OLAF)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.