Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: goose, cooked
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r3dplanet
Gentlefolk,

As some of you know I've been sparring with cancer and renal failure for quite some time. Thirteen years now. I've had some less-than-ideal news recently that forces some very big changes, and one of those changes is selling or donating almost everything I own. Especially my cars and projects because those are my real assets.

That includes my 914.

I've been working on a 3.0 liter Corvair engine build and swap but I haven't touched it in months. I'll get a friend to help finish the work and sell the complete engine separately. Once the Corvair engine is assembled, maybe someone can give a go at installing it in some other 914.

In order to sell the car I need to put it all back together. I have the '73 engine all torn apart and all of the machine work done - line bored, head work, new pistons and cylinders, rebuilt Dellortos, etc. Everything as far as I remember is ready for assembly.

I need an engine assembler who can put it together because I physically can't do it. I have it all prepped as a 1911cc conversion, but I suppose it could go together as a 2056 with a different crankshaft or whatever else that would need.

Does anyone know if anyone in Oregon or Washington or Northern California that can do this work in the next month or two? Basically anywhere within a day's drive of Portland. I can drive but not lift. I spoke with a couple of builders already who were either six months out or are only doing race engines now. Portland Engine Rebuilders moved and isn't doing air-cooled stuff anyway. One of my other go-to guys is retired and just curses at air-cooled everything.

I'll also be selling all my tools, extra 914 parts, and whatnot - reserving all the 914 stuff for sale here at 914world. For example, I have a complete D-Jet system just sitting a box collecting dust. That needs to move but I want to test it first.

Anyway, that's the news. I'm sorry for publicly dumping out my purse like this but I need to move quickly on repairs and selling. So I'm relaying all of this because shame and pride aren't a problem for me any more and speed is necessary. I welcome any helpful input.

Cheers,
Marcus
JeffBowlsby
Take care of yourself first Marcus. Nothing else matters.
Porschef
Jeezus, Marcus... sad.gif
r3dplanet
Thanks guys. I promise that I'm not shedding any tears for myself. Right now it's all about getting as much done as quickly as possible. It's all oddly rushed and pragmatic.

My ladyfriend has cancer too, and recently found out that she also has lime disease. The infecting tick also carried worm eggs. So ... brain worms. Apparently benign, but geez.

I have nothing to complain about. I have a long list of scenarios that each and every day I'm grateful for not having: I'm not a child solider in Africa, or a child bride in Calcutta, or the only white guy in a Colombian prison riot. Also, no brain worms. In comparison I think I'm super lucky.

But right now, I need to get things done and quick. I have a ton to do and I feel intensely motivated to put all my toys away.
iankarr
Sending good vibes, Marcus. I’m sure this amazing community will provide whatever you need. Wish I lived closer.
Beebo Kanelle
Our thoughts & prayers are with you, my friend.
Mike Bellis
I'm sad to read this... sad.gif
phillstek
Oh man, that's so f'ed up. Don't know you but your courage and humility is inspirational. Hold on brother.
Coondog
So sorry my friend, too much of this going around. Prayers sent.
914-300Hemi
Sorry to hear the sad news. Wish I was knowledgeable about rebuilding engines and lived closer, so I could help.
Boomingbeetle
Damn dude, sorry to hear that. I’ve been following your corvair build long before I even signed up as a member to the ‘world. I’d love to do a corvair -6 conversion of my own someday. You are definitely an inspiration and I hope this will just be another page in your long story. Good luck!
white1975
must be somebody near Portland that can put that motor together for you

I used to come home from work and the other racers would bring their offroad class 10 car over if they removed engine I would rebuild it in a few hours I had most parts in
stock ready too go p and cs all balanced and ready getup in the morning and go to work
then come home hook up the trailer and head out for the desert

its the rebuilds in the middle of the desert on a trailer with blowing sand is the fun part

if I was closer I would put it together now if I am in the garage for a day I spend two days resting after . past my bed time 2am here I cant even get up energy to work on mine
porschetub
Shit shit and double that,man that's hard,don't know you but know and have been down that road.
Just go the best you can,ok .
rick 918-S
icon_bump.gif someone will post soon. Stay positive it does make a difference.
Mark Henry
sad.gif
Best of luck.

I wish I could help, but different country, different coast and I'm in the same boat as the other machine shops.
Cairo94507
sad.gif Oh my God. My prayers for you and your girlfriend. I hope an engine builder is located so this comes together for you. pray.gif
EdwardBlume
God be with you.

Can someone pallet the parts? I had a motor shipped back east with good results. Maybe someone can help do that?
rhodyguy
A&P in Portland?
PanelBilly
If you can get the engine to the point where the heads are on I can help with the rest of the assembly.
RoadGlue
I have a great engine builder here in Santa Rosa, CA - Soren Andersen Machine. He's old school, so you just need to pick up the phone and call him. Might be a bit of a trek from Portand though - (707) 542-7872

Wishing you better news.
rhodyguy
If that one worked you might be able to get it hauled down for cheap from the WCR. Guys towing usually have a pretty much empty truck beds. co-ordinating load up help for the newberg leg should be easy. A number of us are heading down thurs AM.
r3dplanet
Good idea, but bad chemistry. Last time I spoke with them they flat out told me they refuse to work on 914s. I'll call them and at least ask if they know a good builder. Thanks!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2018, 05:47 AM) *

A&P in Portland?

r3dplanet
That's an idea. I totally forgot about WCR, despite a poster right next to me on the wall. Santa Rose isn't too far. It's a good excuse to take a road trip with my brother, who I'm enslaving to do my tasks for me.

Thanks!

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 29 2018, 09:50 AM) *

If that one worked you might be able to get it hauled down for cheap from the WCR. Guys towing usually have a pretty much empty truck beds. co-ordinating load up help for the newberg leg should be easy. A number of us are heading down thurs AM.

burton73
Marcus,

Very sorry to hear of your health troubles.

I have an idea. Just sell all of what you have as a package or at least see what someone would pay you for it as a car and parts. You will need good pictures but if the car is clean you may get a decent amount for it without too much trouble.

Again, sorry to hear of you bad health.

Bob B

mepstein
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 29 2018, 07:59 PM) *

Marcus,

Very sorry to hear of your health troubles.

I have an idea. Just sell all of what you have as a package or at least see what someone would pay you for it as a car and parts. You will need good pictures but if the car is clean you may get a decent amount for it without too much trouble.

Again, sorry to hear of you bad health.

Bob B

agree.gif engine kit with roller. price separate and as a package.
Mikey914
Marcus,
I’d spot you a tow bar, and if you want to bring to WCR even have a truck to get a roller there.
Wouldn’t hurt to get it out there.
Let me know if you need any help getting it there. Newberg isn’t that far.
Mark
cary
I've thought about 3 different folks here in PDX.

Thought #1 was a strike out. Semi retired not interested.
I'll try and call #2 tonight. Once again semi retired but the 356 crowd keeps him pretty busy.
r3dplanet
Hey there.

Some good news - I found a local guy who can do the build. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully it can all get done soon.

The realist in me thinks that selling everything off as a project in one swoop is a great idea. Especially with WCR so close and so soon. I wished I had kept in the loop so I could have planned it better.

Another part of me just wants to finish what I started and get the car back together. I just want to see it one piece and driving. There's only a couple of things necessary to get it buttoned up once the engine is assembled. I'd like to drive it a couple of times before selling it.

Hopefully a month or so from now it will be all ready to sell. Maybe there's a signal orange car in your future!

Thank you all kindly for the well wishes. It means a lot. I forget sometimes that I'm part of a stellar community.

I'll keep this thread open to keep the engine updates coming along.

-marcus
mepstein
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ May 31 2018, 11:40 PM) *

Hey there.

Some good news - I found a local guy who can do the build. I'll let you know how it works out. Hopefully it can all get done soon.

The realist in me thinks that selling everything off as a project in one swoop is a great idea. Especially with WCR so close and so soon. I wished I had kept in the loop so I could have planned it better.

Another part of me just wants to finish what I started and get the car back together. I just want to see it one piece and driving. There's only a couple of things necessary to get it buttoned up once the engine is assembled. I'd like to drive it a couple of times before selling it.

Hopefully a month or so from now it will be all ready to sell. Maybe there's a signal orange car in your future!

Thank you all kindly for the well wishes. It means a lot. I forget sometimes that I'm part of a stellar community.

I'll keep this thread open to keep the engine updates coming along.

-marcus

beerchug.gif
cary
biggrin.gif
whitetwinturbo
unsure.gif ..........the next time I feel down I'm going to think of your strength to keep going
76-914
QUOTE(whitetwinturbo @ Jun 12 2018, 09:03 AM) *

unsure.gif ..........the next time I feel down I'm going to think of your strength to keep going

Amen. Obviously a Gentleman of Grace, Honor and Dignity.
r3dplanet
Also, thank you gentle 914ers. You guys are the best.

I don't know about all the praise though. I've never met my health crash as something to fight or overcome. Instead I treat it with indifference and patience. That works well for me. Basically I just do what the doctors order and then deal with the fallout.

I never like reading obits with the cliché "died after a long battle with cancer" because it puts suffering into heroic terms. To me, heroism is a fireman saving a litter of kittens from a burning building. Implied selflessness. Putting things into heroic terms for illness has, in my little opinion, a backhanded way of putting pressure on the patient, and that doesn't help. But every patient has a different way of approaching it.

It usually happens that I average three or four funerals per year because of the young oncology group I run with, and each time I think "suffered mercilessly from cancer" instead of "battle with cancer." But the upshot is that all of those hot, stuffy funerals gave me a business idea: SALAD BAR SERVICE for funerals. I just need a funny name for the business and some vegetables. Cool and refreshing is just the thing. Then you could say things like, "It's such a bummer about Phil but check out these cherry tomatoes. They're heirloom. Wow."

Hoping to get the 914 engine back in the next couple of weeks. Getting there.

-m.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jun 12 2018, 06:55 PM) *

I don't know about all the praise though. I've never met my health crash as something to fight or overcome. Instead I treat it with indifference and patience. That works well for me. Basically I just do what the doctors order and then deal with the fallout.

I never like reading obits with the cliché "died after a long battle with cancer" because it puts suffering into heroic terms. To me, heroism is a fireman saving a litter of kittens from a burning building. Implied selflessness. Putting things into heroic terms for illness has, in my little opinion, a backhanded way of putting pressure on the patient, and that doesn't help. But every patient has a different way of approaching it.

It usually happens that I average three or four funerals per year because of the young oncology group I run with, and each time I think "suffered mercilessly from cancer" instead of "battle with cancer." But the upshot is that all of those hot, stuffy funerals gave me a business idea: SALAD BAR SERVICE for funerals. I just need a funny name for the business and some vegetables. Cool and refreshing is just the thing. Then you could say things like, "It's such a bummer about Phil but check out these cherry tomatoes. They're heirloom. Wow."

-m.

Hmm, funeral salad company names...

Last Stop Salad Catering
Styx Salads and Fixins
Farewell Greens

gandalf_025
I hope I have the style and grace to face this
As well, When my time may come....

We will all have to deal with this....
and Some sooner than others..
Thank you for sharing this with us..
Tdskip
Come to the pending 1911 build tech weekend in SoCal and DYI.

Seriously.
914_teener
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jun 12 2018, 03:55 PM) *

-m.

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.

-Emerson

You are a hero Marcus. Godspeed with the engine.

Rob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.