Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 283 V8 Project
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gearup
Good afternoon-
Hey guys. I was hoping to get some input from you guys. After a lengthy stoppage we are about to continue my V8 project. I have 95% of the parts and as of now the car has almost everything stripped from it but the dash which I got a new one from 914 rubber. We are about to start adding reinforcement to the chassis and steel flares. I have a Brad Mayuer rebuilt 901 transmission with Billie intermediate plate. We are estimating 320 HP, and still have work to do on the,linkage etc, have the upgraded shifter, but am wondering if i should pivot to a Boxter 6 speed and cable shifter.. I’m sure I could resell the 901 and the other parts (renegade heavy duty axles; etc). If I’m gonna pivot it needs to be at this point. Is the 2.5k increase worth the 6 speed and shifting qualities. Input appreciatedClick to view attachment

Lastlly, the car will be mainly for street use but I am building a car that might be used on the track. I have Boxster brakes etc., ground control coil overs etc. all these parts are either new or rebuilf and look new.
76-914
If your going to whip it, Audi. beerchug.gif
Gearup
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 29 2018, 05:59 AM) *

If your going to whip it, Audi. beerchug.gif

I know I have a good setup for a 901. Rebuilt well and with the JWest shifter. However, I really would enjoy a transmission that can handle the HP. I know the 901, if properly driven, works well, but before we spend more $/time on redoing linkage etc. with the 901 the Boxster/Audi option is on the table.

Is the Audii/Boxster transmission similar? What is the price of a used Audi tranny and shifter? Seems like the Boxster 6 speed is 2k and cable shifter $170 ish. Thanks for your reply. BrettClick to view attachment

Longs look good to me.

I Might just transition this into a project thread:)
Andyrew
A billet intermediate 901 is pretty good. For the size of your engine and anticipated HP I would stick with that so long as its a fresh build that shifts nicely.

If you have an extra 4k you could go with the boxster S and associated conversion bits.

Yes this is similar to the Audi box. Note they are not the same. To be honest there isnt enough research on the Audi box to determine which exactly will work and hold the power correctly. I have my hunches but until its tested we dont know. The only Audi box that is known to be STRONG is the early S4 6 speed that is converted to 2wd and that is not any cheaper than the Boxster S trans.

Gearup
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 29 2018, 06:28 AM) *

A billet intermediate 901 is pretty good. For the size of your engine and anticipated HP I would stick with that so long as its a fresh build that shifts nicely.

If you have an extra 4k you could go with the boxster S and associated conversion bits.

Yes this is similar to the Audi box. Note they are not the same. To be honest there isnt enough research on the Audi box to determine which exactly will work and hold the power correctly. I have my hunches but until its tested we dont know. The only Audi box that is known to be STRONG is the early S4 6 speed that is converted to 2wd and that is not any cheaper than the Boxster S trans.

The 901 is a rebuilt Brad Mayuer build so I am assuming it should be perfect based on his reputation:). If I were to sell that 901 to offset some of the cost what is it worth these days?
Beebo Kanelle
I think you'll find the boxster's gearing better suited to the v8's characteristics
Joemo5
While researching transaxles for my project, V8 with slightly higher hp goals, I gathered that the G86.20 boxster s trans is the industry answer. That's what Renegade uses in their conversions and they claim that it has lived behind some 500+ hp cars. Has anyone heard of one that failed?

For your application I think it depends on how the car will be driven. Without autocross events and hard shifts, many transaxles would suffice. If your planning on aggressive driving, either pay for a G86 now or at some point pay to rebuild your 901 again.
burton73
I have a 930 trans, CVs, and stub axels all for 930 for my V8 car. If you like to lay rubber the CVs are going to be the weakest point. I had a built 283 Chev back in 79 and I drove it hard out of the hole and POP went a CV. It would be nice to do what you want with the car and not have it break. Very inconvenient to POP a CV as you are not going anyplace till you replace it.

Renegade says that the Boxster is the trans to use and he says there are plenty of them around if one goes bad on you. He knows the conversion game. I am an old Rod Simson (V8 guy)

I do not know what stub axles you use on the Boxster but if you are going to make more HP on your car I think you may want to change up.

Good money for the built box you have.

Bob B

driving-girl.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif w00t.gif
90quattrocoupe
QUOTE(Andyrew @ May 29 2018, 07:28 AM) *

I assume you are referring to the 2000/01 Audi S4, because the earlier S4(92-94) was the same transmission, except it was just a 5 speed. There were both what we call an Audi 01E transmission.
Personally, I would stay away from the 2000/01 S4 01E transmission. These cars were modified a lot and the trans pretty well beat.
If you want to convert a Audi AWD trans to 2wd, the Audi 01E you want is from a 2002/03 Audi A4 3.0L Six. This is the last of the 01Es. It has a transmission code of FYF or GBE. They came with a wide 1st gear and a flexiable input shaft(kind of like a torsion bar). The inner CVs on these are 108mm. They have a 4.11 final drive. These are pretty stout transmissions. They are the go to transmissions for early Audi peeps.
I have a friend of mine running a 89 Audi 90 with a 640whp through his. It holds up very well during his track days. AWD cars a lot tougher on trans than 2wd cars.
About the only problem with these 01e transmissions is the 1st/2nd gear shifting collar, but Audi does have a upgraded collar available.
For running a V8 I would also upgrade to a Audi TDI 01E .56 6th gear. It will make cruising a lot nicer. It lowers the rpm about 1000rpm. This is what I am running in my 1990 CQ with an 99 S8 V8 motor.

These transmission are well proven to take the power.

Greg W.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.