Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fan hub puller
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jneilon
I am replacing my front oil seal which of course requires you to remove the fan hub. Anyone have any tricks/suggestions for pulling it without the VW/Porsche tool? Any insight would be appreciated.
scruz914
Get a simple harmonic balancer puller at your FLAPS. Pops right off.
scruz914
Oh yea, I would also get a new bolt from Porsche/VW. It is the only thing connecting the whole impeller/fan to the crankshaft. You don't want it to let loose.
Cap'n Krusty
3 x 2" long all threaded 8mm bolts, 2 old fashioned "church keys behind the hub. You figure it out from there. Easy and cheap. Change the o-ring, too. The bolt NEVER fails, IME. The Cap'n
type47
probably what the cap'n means, but i just took 2 pieces of flat metal stock roughly 4-6" long and strong enough, and put in the 8mm bolts until they touched the stock, now located under the hub, and gently tightened, that is, screwed in the bolts to try to force the hub off the crank. cheap enough and i am.... biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (type47 @ Jun 10 2005, 10:36 AM)
probably what the cap'n means, but i just took 2 pieces of flat metal stock roughly 4-6" long and strong enough, and put in the 8mm bolts until they touched the stock, now located under the hub, and gently tightened, that is, screwed in the bolts to try to force the hub off the crank. cheap enough and i am.... biggrin.gif

Beer openers are ideal because they're fairly thin, REALLY hard, and minimize bending and possible case damage. The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.