Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Canadian insurance options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mobymutt
I just learned that my current insurance company will drop all my coverage if they learn my car has been 'tracked' (I go autocrossing).

I currently carry only the minimum legally required liability insurance. My car is not covered at all, except as part of my garage contents, to a maximum of $1000.

Can anybody provide me leads to a Canadian insurer that will allow a car to be tracked? To be clear, I am NOT looking for insurance at the track, I simply want to be able to carry the legally required minimum liability insurance.
mepstein
Do you drive your car on the road or just at the track.
Can you drop the car off your insurance and trailer to the track.
mobymutt
I do drive it on the road as well. I don't have any means of trailering, plus I still want to be able to drive it around.
AlanG
I asked my broker (in Brockville). The following wss his response;

There is only 1 company that I’m aware of that allows a vehicle to be tracked/drifted/raced while being insured and that’s Facility Association. It’s usually quite expensive unfortunately.

They also do not allow physical damage coverage on the vehicle at all if they plan on using it in such event (no collision , no comprehensive)
PatrickB
QUOTE(mobymutt @ May 29 2018, 10:30 PM) *

I just learned that my current insurance company will drop all my coverage if they learn my car has been 'tracked' (I go autocrossing).

I currently carry only the minimum legally required liability insurance. My car is not covered at all, except as part of my garage contents, to a maximum of $1000.

Can anybody provide me leads to a Canadian insurer that will allow a car to be tracked? To be clear, I am NOT looking for insurance at the track, I simply want to be able to carry the legally required minimum liability insurance.

Check with some of the mutuals. I've been autocrossing mine... I'm in sw Ontario. Talked to my agent he said no problem BUT!!! you're not covered at the track. I don't want to say who just in case his bosses have a different opinion.
I do have full coverage on the car same as my daily drivers.
EdwardBlume
Autocross isn't racing. Its drivers training.

Don't ever say you are racing your car.
cwpeden

When all the GT Pcars are trying to better my time its definitely racing. smilie_pokal.gif
Mark Henry
I'm pretty sure most guys are just running regular insurance, keeping their mouths shut and know that any track mishaps are their problem.

This is 3rd hand, but several years ago a guy with a big buck P-car smacked it up at the local track, managed to get it back on public roads and made a claim.
The insurance company and cops sheeplove.gif him.
GeorgeRud
I thought there are (were?) companies that provide on track insurance here in the states, though I don’t know about Canada. I’d imagine Lloyd’s of London would write a policy, though i’d Hate to th8nk what the premium might be.
jd74914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 31 2018, 08:43 AM) *

I'm pretty sure most guys are just running regular insurance, keeping their mouths shut and know that any track mishaps are their problem.

agree.gif

Especially since with AX there is almost no car-to-car damage potential.
mobymutt
The "don't ask, don't tell" policy seems to be the best option. I'm sticking with that one.

However, I met a guy at the not-track during the not-race autocross last weekend, who brought his daily driver to his first ever event. He said he called his insurance company to verify that it was ok, and not only was it ok, but he could buy extra insurance at $20/day to cover him while at the event.

So it does seem like there are options, but I'm guessing it's highly dependent on the particular insurance agent, and his or her misunderstanding of their corporate policies.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.