Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tail Light Wires Busted
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jandro62
The 914 runs well now after 2 years in pieces. Pull onto street to test car out, promptly pulled over by cop for inspection/registration within a block of my house, argh!

Anyway, the right rear tail light housing has two wires that have broken off at the bulb connector. Any thoughts on trying to fix these? They aren't standard spades, they seem integrated with the bulb contact. What to do?

Image of tail ight
Image of tail light 2]
Image of car
BMartin914
Had the same thing happen. They are permanently attached at the factory. Once they break, that's it.

I ended up drilling out and removing the broken piece and replacing it with a small bolt and washer through the hole. Attached a round wire lead to the bolt. Works fine. Probably not an ideal fix though. Wanted it fixed and used what I had lying around.
jandro62
I'm kinda wondering if a female bullet connector would fit over the end of the broken connector?
mihai914
If you can locate a busted tailight housing with good internals and connector, you can scrape off the reddish epoxy and swap the internals from one to the other, painfull but it can be done. You may also look for a good used unit.
jandro62
So, in case anyone else has this problem, here is my homebrew solution that passed state inspection:

1. Clean the connector that has broken at the wire.
2. Find a female spade connector and widen it out with a flatblade screwdriver
3. Strip and crimp the wire into the spade connector
4. Slip one side of the spade connector over the connector.

Done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.