Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need a trustworthy independant Porsche mechanic in MN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I just got back from a brief trip up to MN for my Nephew's graduation, and while there the Accessory belt snapped ( it was fairly new) when the a/c clutch froze up ( i am getting the info second hand here but pretty sure thats what happened- a local shop in New Ulm(90 miles S.W. of MSP) put a new belt back on so he can drive the car but no A/C right now is a bummer since you guys up there have it way hotter than back here in SC!
anyway if any you MN guys know of a shop in MSP area or better yet Mankato, Shokope etc that would be great!
Thing is someone up there told him last fall that you cant get "new" ac compressors for those as they dont make them and put a used one the pulled off another dang car!!! this i didn't know until now, AND the charged a 17!year old kid $900 for that piece of $H1T!!

Any help appreciated!!

Phil

PS it is porsche content may not be 914 directly but its in the family-
Optimusglen
I'd take it to Further Performance in Minneapolis.

Other options include Broadway Auto Tech and Eurotech Auto Service
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ May 30 2018, 11:49 AM) *

I'd take it to Further Performance in Minneapolis.

Other options include Broadway Auto Tech and Eurotech Auto Service

Glen,

Thanks for the response,
when the AC was "fixed" last summer, it was at "certified auto repair", not sure which location, they have 3.
I will pass this information on to him.

Phil
Mikey914
The only potentially bad news is the transmission is in the rear, and there's a torque tube that connects them. This makes servicing the clutch more expensive.
mettelman
I have had good luck using DuFour Automotive in Eden Prairie for my 968. As a former Porsche tech, Paul worked on these cars when they were new.
https://www.dufourautomotive.com

iwanta914-6
Not sure about anything in the southern areas. Auto Edge in Mahtomedi is a fairly popular shop for Nordstern PCA members if I recall. Back in the day my dad would have his 951 serviced there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.