Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: home to roost
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Our shop is a mess these days because we are under reconstruction, trying to rebuild the old building. As you can see the beams in the service department, we are doing the same in the parts department, pouring footings and then dropping ibeams through the old roof and building the new structure over the old. THEN we will tear down the old building. Means moving many parts shelves where the beams are coming down through the roof have to be moved. Will be pretty great when completed, we are building also a "Jay Leno" type garage area in the back with a lot of vintage 914s, and classic nos parts, original advertisements, period accessories, original documents, etc., so when you come to visit us you will now have two 914 display areas to see!Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Those types of projects are always loads of fun, more logistically complex & more expensive George!

I've been involved in a few of those over my 50+ career in the construction industry, so I know what you're going through.

Also, we're in the midst of a resto/renovation of our own 1921 Craftsman Bungalow home & garage/office while living/working here - so smaller scale, but same BS to work around! The schedule, scope & budget keeps changing - e.g.: an old abandoned septic tank uncovered during the drain/sewer liner work which wasn't properly filled & capped - so we get to pay for it now! dry.gif

PS - That & other stuff keeps pushing the garage/office back - ergo getting my 914s & parts out & to the shop to start the mechanical & paint/body work started is also delayed ..... yet again! sad.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
theer
We did the same thing on our house.

We added a second story by building the new roof first then tearing off the old from underneath. In February. In New England. While we still lived there.

Sometimes, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Just glad we won't be doing that again anytime soon!
mepstein
I wanted a home office so I tore off the roof and had it rebuilt with windows, stairs and hvac. New siding. Also did the yard with 15" drainage pipes, sod and took down a dozen trees. It was a big project since I was my own GC and had never done anything like that before. Got the permit after it was all done biggrin.gif

48x24 space to myself - Priceless.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
WOW what a dramatic transformation, the color you chose really makes it pop, great job, Mark! (did your wife have a lot to do with the design and color choice?)

QUOTE(mepstein @ May 30 2018, 12:47 PM) *

I wanted a home office so I tore off the roof and had it rebuilt with windows, stairs and hvac. New siding. Also did the yard with 15" drainage pipes, sod and took down a dozen trees. It was a big project since I was my own GC and had never done anything like that before. Got the permit after it was all done biggrin.gif

Coondog
Hey Mepstein, Chip and Joanna Gaines got nothing on you..... first.gif
Place looks awesome.
mepstein

It started because she asked me to take off the roof antenna.
When I was up on the roof, I noticed it was deteriorating.
Then a roof contractor told be the beams under the roof were undersized for the area and slope of the roof.
Then I decided to build a taller space with dormers, skylights and HVAC,
Installed a stairwell to the space.
Cedar siding was getting damage from carpenter bees and woodpeckers.
Cedar shake vinyl siding installed. Same color I used before on rental houses.
Remove a family room/kitchen wall while we had the dumpster.
Replace windows with sliding glass door to deck.

Remove and trim trees
Drainage pipes and swals to controle storm runoff
Sod entire yard / hill. - one storm would have washed away all the grass seed.
Repave bottom of driveway.

Had some issues during the build but I am happy with the result. Yard doesn't look as neat as when the sod was installed. Tree guy warned me that you can't expect to grow grass in the woods.

Still have to replace all the old doors and windows, repave the rest of the driveway and redo / side my workshop - once I get my youngest through college - 2 more years.

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 30 2018, 04:19 PM) *

WOW what a dramatic transformation, the color you chose really makes it pop, great job, Mark! (did your wife have a lot to do with the design and color choice?)

mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ May 30 2018, 04:47 PM) *

Hey Mepstein, Chip and Joanna Gaines got nothing on you..... first.gif
Place looks awesome.

I've seen that show before. I did it pretty cheap. Well, cheap compared to the numbers the home shows throw around. I was pretty happy that I could add about 1000' of space as well as make things look nicer. My wife was sort of surprised that I made everything work out.

r_towle

George,
Build a lounge with comfy chairs so I can sit and look at your nice cars while drinking a beer. Seriously...

Rich
dr914@autoatlanta.com
that is a good serious suggestion, I appreciate it Rich. Pretty easily done as soon as we have the second story donw

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 30 2018, 03:20 PM) *

George,
Build a lounge with comfy chairs so I can sit and look at your nice cars while drinking a beer. Seriously...

Rich

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.