Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone recognize this turbo set up?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Yeah, so, um, I kind of bought this today.

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
More better pics please. biggrin.gif
Mike Bellis
Think about adding methanol injection. Those carb into turbo setups are notorious for inducing heat into the intake stream. Methanol after the turbo will cool it back down. There's no way to install an intercooler on this type of setup.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ May 30 2018, 07:34 PM) *

More better pics please. biggrin.gif

I didn't get enough/better ones. I'll take a bunch tomorrow.

Click to view attachment
My 914
Please add a description as well.
Larmo63
Remember, you CAN'T turbo a 914. screwy.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 30 2018, 09:25 PM) *

Remember, you CAN'T turbo a 914. screwy.gif

Oh sure, tell me that now....
SKL1
I had a turbo set-up on my '71 back in the late 70's and early 80's- had a side draft carb off the turbo. It definitely ran HOT and I used water injection to avoid pinging etc. Ran OK but too many little problems and didn't have time to play with it- new marriage, new kid etc!

Now I have the time but think I'll stay NA...
Mark Henry
I believe McMark has had the best luck using 1.7 with a turbo. The small bore and thick cylinders has a bit better strength for the boost, he's also limiting it to lower boost levels.

But he's also using MS, one reason is because to get less detonation issues you need to be able to retard the timing under boost.
Mueller
Neat setup. Almost looks like a professional setup for something back in the day.

CB performance has a distributor that is boost friendly, I bought the 10psi unit, they also have one for 18.

Tdskip
Good morning, and thanks for all of the responses.

I am scheduled to pick the car up late morning and will post lots of pictures and findings etc. I am expecting I am going to need some help sorting out the weirdness I find....

Oh, and I blame you guys for all of this. Especially Larmo, for no reason other than that he is a good guy. Life is unfair like that.

evilgrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I'm guessing the trunk has been cut out to allow the piping?

Curious to hear how it runs.

Zach
Tdskip
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 31 2018, 09:21 AM) *

I'm guessing the trunk has been cut out to allow the piping?

Curious to hear how it runs.

Zach

Hi Zach, it has.

Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
get off my lawn
Only a real kook would try to turbo a 914 with a pull through side draft carb! poke.gif welder.gif

Serial, a system like that works fine and doesn't run hot if set up right and not over-boosted or run lean.

I definitely did not want to mess with ethanol injection and did not need it.
I limited my boost to around 7 psi but cranked it up to 9 psi a few times. It was happier around 7.
That was on the street on pump gas without additional cooler or oil cooler or anything else.
Unless you switch to a different induction you can forget about inter-cooling.
Your setup has fuel being mixed with the air and going into the turbo. that's already bad in that it can centrifuge out the fuel and cause puddling a little. It's manageable. but if you add an intercooler, you'll be giving the fuel an even better motivation to puddle and separate and pool, causing rich and lean spots which on a good/bad scale, are down near the bottom closer to bad.
Run it a little rich on top end, manage your timing so it isn't too advanced, keep the boost reasonable, and you'll have lots of fun without turning it into a hand grenade.
Tdskip
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ May 31 2018, 01:45 PM) *

Only a real kook would try to turbo a 914 with a pull through side draft carb! poke.gif welder.gif

Serial, a system like that works fine and doesn't run hot if set up right and not over-boosted or run lean.

I definitely did not want to mess with ethanol injection and did not need it.
I limited my boost to around 7 psi but cranked it up to 9 psi a few times. It was happier around 7.
That was on the street on pump gas without additional cooler or oil cooler or anything else.
Unless you switch to a different induction you can forget about inter-cooling.
Your setup has fuel being mixed with the air and going into the turbo. that's already bad in that it can centrifuge out the fuel and cause puddling a little. It's manageable. but if you add an intercooler, you'll be giving the fuel an even better motivation to puddle and separate and pool, causing rich and lean spots which on a good/bad scale, are down near the bottom closer to bad.
Run it a little rich on top end, manage your timing so it isn't too advanced, keep the boost reasonable, and you'll have lots of fun without turning it into a hand grenade.

Good morning. I just bought it like this and am NIT wedded to this set up or even the engine (much to Mr Epstein delight). It would be kind of fun to figure it out but if it is a bad idea we can scrap the set up.
Mueller
got any underneath pics of the exhaust manifolds?
Tdskip
Click to view attachment

Runs OK, a bit rough but old gas and has been sitting.

Got it to idle OK - tires are scary cracked so can't really drive it except around the block (working on new tires asap).
burton73
You can get a great Tire installer to come to your house to install the tire for less than you can get them done by a tire shop. One of the guys suggested them here and they did me more than right. You get the tires or they can get them. The owner worked for a Porsche race team.

I got nothing to do with them but I was very happy with them. Just got a new DD and am good for 3 years but will use them in my next set of wheels I put tires on.

Bob B

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=324690&hl=
Tdskip
Thanks Bob.
Chris914n6
Holy flashback Batman!

There was a red 914 turbo for sale in Vegas around 90-91. Couldn't get my parents to take me to look at it but I'm wondering if this was it. It was in the newspaper classifieds for months.
gandalf_025
QUOTE(get off my lawn @ May 31 2018, 02:45 PM) *

Chevrolet must have employed a Lot Of kooks back in the day..
That looks a lot Like a Corvair Turbo Setup with the Carter Carb
changed out for a Weber 45 DCOE 2 barrel side draft carb.
That was a popular upgrade on the Corvair Turbo’s along with the
bigger E Flow impeller in the Turbo.
A Simple design that Chevy was able To get 180hp out of
164 cubic inch displacement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.