Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission surgury
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
Background: I am working to take the best parts from 2 trannies and make one.

One tranny has yellow (brass?) shift forks and the other one has black. Any difference or preference?

Also, the one with the yellow forks also has yellow bearings. confused24.gif

this weekend (hopefully) I will start dismantling both gear stacks and inspecting sliders, dogteeth, and syncro's.....this is a blast!!!! smash.gif

thanks all beer.gif
Cap'n Krusty
While you're dismantling those trannies, remember that the paper gaskets between the tunnel case and the intermediate plate are SHIMS, and you need to preserve that precise thickness, WITHOUT any sealant. There are also shims on the pinion shaft that set the depth. Don't lose them and don't swap them! The Cap'n
jr91472
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 10 2005, 11:44 AM)
While you're dismantling those trannies, remember that the paper gaskets between the tunnel case and the intermediate plate are SHIMS, and you need to preserve that precise thickness, WITHOUT any sealant. There are also shims on the pinion shaft that set the depth. Don't lose them and don't swap them! The Cap'n

Thanks Cap'n!! I was lucky that the shims on the box with the "good" ring gear came out completely intact. They are safely tucked away for measurement before re-assembly.

Question, though....what did you mean by "don't swap them". Do you mean don't replace them with new ones (of same thickness of course)?
JWest
They are brass - clean the "black" ones more to make them "yellow" too. Maybe they got overheated, or maybe that trans had very "clingy" gear oil.
jr91472
QUOTE (James Adams @ Jun 10 2005, 11:52 AM)
They are brass - clean the "black" ones more to make them "yellow" too. Maybe they got overheated, or maybe that trans had very "clingy" gear oil.

ahha!!! pray.gif we really need a yoda smiley!

interesting James, the black ones came out of my own tranny which "supposedly" only saw synthetic gear oil while in the PO's possession.

JWest
Scratch one and see if they are brass.
jr91472
QUOTE (James Adams @ Jun 10 2005, 12:05 PM)
Scratch one and see if they are brass.

yep...you nailed it
bondo
I'm sure they're brass... I took apart 7 trannies, and the brass parts had many different colors, ranging from shiny and new looking to black.

To preserve pinion adjustments, keep the case, intermediate plate, side cover, ring, pinion, bearings, shims and 2nd-5th gears together. Swap syncros and sliders all you like, but keep all that other stuff from the original trans.
jr91472
QUOTE (bondo @ Jun 10 2005, 12:15 PM)
To preserve pinion adjustments, keep the case, intermediate plate, side cover, ring, pinion, bearings, shims and 2nd-5th gears together. Swap syncros and sliders all you like, but keep all that other stuff from the original trans.

Thanks Royce!

I had not considered that the actual gears might impact pinion depth. ohmy.gif

fortunately, it looks like the dog teeth on the gears are all in pretty good shape. But I will definetly be robbing the 4/5 slider and using it as a 2/3 slider.

thanks again everyone.
jr91472
Well its done and I took her for a quick ride. Every gear shifted great and that roar that was my bad ring/pinion gear is gone! aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

I did detect a little gear whine (especially in 2nd), not sure what that is. I did have to use the pinion bearing (intermediate plate) from my old tranny, so could be that. confused24.gif confused24.gif

But if all continues to go well, I will definitly live with it driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

Thank you James Adams for the cheap ass parts! Thankyou Clay for tools and advice! And thankyou Bondo and Redbeard for some kick ass articles and photo's!!!

this site rocks aktion035.gif aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.