Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT style cockpit oil line cover.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
I am not 100% sold on this yet but I know I need a protective cover for the GT oil lines. Thought I would share Click to view attachment
mmascari
That is great! I will buy one.

11tenths
How about a combination Dead Pedal/Cover?

idea.gif

Cheers- Harry
mb911
I thought about that as well.. What would we want that to look like though?
Martin Baker
I will buy two if they resemble what the factory did...
mb911
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ May 31 2018, 11:36 AM) *

I will buy two if they resemble what the factory did...

I have a reliable source that each car had a different version.. All were just made for the car and were more a custom part..
mlindner
God Ben, you just keep coming up with neat stuff, love it. Mark
porschetub
QUOTE(11tenths @ Jun 1 2018, 03:34 AM) *

idea.gif

Cheers- Harry

Foot warmer perhaps av-943.gif .
Nice work Ben.
r_towle
QUOTE(porschetub @ May 31 2018, 05:56 PM) *

idea.gif

Cheers- Harry

Nice work Ben.

I was thinking the same thing.
Might want to consider a double walled version to make sure you don't get burned.
Also so fresh air ducted through that new cavity.
mepstein
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 31 2018, 07:45 PM) *

QUOTE(porschetub @ May 31 2018, 05:56 PM) *

idea.gif

Cheers- Harry

Nice work Ben.

I was thinking the same thing.
Might want to consider a double walled version to make sure you don't get burned.
Also so fresh air ducted through that new cavity.

I think you all are trying to make this more complicated than it needs to be. If the metal does get hot, just add some heat wrap to the outside and maybe inside or wrap the lines, or both. The heat wrap that is used for exhaust is cheap and effective.

16’ of 2” exhaust wrap - $10 at walmart
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yescom-2-16-4ft-...13=&veh=sem
Norskpole
I'd be interested in one, if you go ahead with it popcorn[1].gif
Steve
It looks kind of big. If it was more form fitting I would be in for one. It would help keep dirt out. I have the heat blanket around my lines now from PMS.
live free & drive
I'd be in for one, but like Steve says it would be nice if it were a bit more form fitting.
Larmo63
Both of my AN oil lines feed into one big heat shield sock as they go through the passenger compartment footwell.

I've never felt any real heat from that area.

I'd be interested in this if you perfect it, but an exterior shield for road grime and water would be another part idea (?)
mb911
I know it looks big but it actually is pretty small compared to what I started with. Its only 2.5" thick all the way around the radius of the inner wheel well and 4" tall.. Form fitting is the interesting thing as the lines stack on top of eachother and are about 1.5" in diameter it allows for some heat wrap as you say.. I may shrink it a bit more but the bump out that it bolts to is about 2.5" as well..

Steve
Thanks Ben!! It’s probably just the picture. Showing one installed would be better. I would also be interested in one.
davehg
Add me to the interested list!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
Shoot, sorry Ben, should have thought of you when we had to fabricate one for Brutus the 916 (now in the Peterson Museum in LA)
Anyway we took the one out of our 916 and copied it. It looks MUCH different than the one you made, and maybe we could arrange something so that you could copy the original. It also has a built in pedal board clamp!

QUOTE(mb911 @ May 31 2018, 08:11 AM) *

I am not 100% sold on this yet but I know I need a protective cover for the GT oil lines. Thought I would share Click to view attachment
mb911
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 1 2018, 06:42 AM) *

Shoot, sorry Ben, should have thought of you when we had to fabricate one for Brutus the 916 (now in the Peterson Museum in LA)
Anyway we took the one out of our 916 and copied it. It looks MUCH different than the one you made, and maybe we could arrange something so that you could copy the original. It also has a built in pedal board clamp!

That would be really cool..
Cairo94507
I am pretty sure Kent is either working on or soon to be working on one of these for my car. I definitely want the lines covered and protected as well as sealing the exterior from the interior where the lines enter the cabin. beer3.gif
mb911
Gonna do another version maybe this weekend..

rgalla9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 1 2018, 10:42 AM) *

George please post a picture of the original.

mb911
Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
I vote for the type shown in post #23. 2 each, please. Simple, and effective.
mb911
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Jun 1 2018, 01:37 PM) *

I vote for the type shown in post #23. 2 each, please. Simple, and effective.

Lol really hard to produce that in 1 piece lol
Martin Baker
Its a die stamped part correct?
rgalla9146
Home cobbled
Cairo94507
rgall9146 - That looks to be just right. Nice work.
mb911
Guys realize mine is just like regallas except the 1" radius at the edge of the 90 towards the floor. My prototype is they same otherwise. Now the question is how deep is everyones wallets. If I make 10 of them and it takes me 4 hours each to make something that looks one piece then that is $300 dollars at current labor .. I am not sure 10 people would step up. Now by comparison the prototype could be made and sold for 90-125.

What say you all?

mepstein
I want the cheaper one. It’s going under carpet / in back of the pedal board.
Norskpole
Prototype biggrin.gif
rgalla9146

I did mine out of necessity and personal kicks.
No intention to market
The easy way is to splash up some fiberglass over styrofoam.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 1 2018, 06:18 PM) *

Guys realize mine is just like regallas except the 1" radius at the edge of the 90 towards the floor. My prototype is they same otherwise. Now the question is how deep is everyones wallets. If I make 10 of them and it takes me 4 hours each to make something that looks one piece then that is $300 dollars at current labor .. I am not sure 10 people would step up. Now by comparison the prototype could be made and sold for 90-125.

What say you all?

Um.... the cheapest one!! beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Jun 1 2018, 05:57 PM) *

I did mine out of necessity and personal kicks.
No intention to market
The easy way is to splash up some fiberglass over styrofoam.

Right I get that.. I ask the others as there seems to be a demand since I had all the lines made (50 sets) and want to make something that works but yet cost effective. Yours looks very nice and I get how its made and could definitely do it but not for free biggrin.gif.
mb911
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 1 2018, 06:32 PM) *

QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 1 2018, 06:18 PM) *

What say you all?

Um.... the cheapest one!! beerchug.gif

agree.gif

Or close to it. Carpet over it and call it good..
live free & drive
I'd definitely be in for one of the "one piece" designs like RGalla made.

I think $300 is a very fair price if it could be done for that.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 1 2018, 09:41 AM) *

that is my GT and its steel
mb911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 1 2018, 06:54 PM) *

My understanding is still a 1 off per Glenn. Is that correct?
pete000
Very nice ! Weren't the ones on the factory GT cars made of fiberglass?
mb911
QUOTE(pete000 @ Jun 2 2018, 08:02 AM) *

Very nice ! Weren't the ones on the factory GT cars made of fiberglass?

So I have been told is each car had its own home made version
wes
Interested and watching! popcorn[1].gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 1 2018, 06:56 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 1 2018, 06:54 PM) *

My understanding is still a 1 off per Glenn. Is that correct?

Kerry Morse knows for sure..how many he had way back when
mb911
Here is an improved design.. The upper radius is just impossible to do without sectioning or stamping dies$$$$$.
This one could be done for $125 . considering its gonna get some sort of carpet or whatever seems like value engineered..Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
wes
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Here is an improved design.. The upper radius is just impossible to do without sectioning or stamping dies$$$$$.
This one could be done for $125 . considering its gonna get some sort of carpet or whatever seems like value engineered..Click to view attachment

Looking good I’m in for one when ready!
Norskpole
Ready when you are! ( for 1 )
Larmo63
The one in post #23 (Sixnotfour's) is definitely the winner.

No contest.
Steve
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 14 2018, 09:39 AM) *

Ben,
Can you post a picture of it installed? That would help
mb911
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.