Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Temp...What do you think?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Installed a 2.L 1973 combo gauge and wired it up to what looks like the original sensor on the bottom of the motor.

Outside air is 98degrees. Freeway at 65mph. Took a picture every 5 minutes to see what happens. Startup and back to the driveway. Looks like temp is reading correctly.

These 2 pictures are at 30 and 40 minutes. Does anyone know the actual temp's the gauge is showing? i.e. is the last reading a good reading for such heat?
bandjoey
Installed a 2.L 1973 combo gauge and wired it up to what looks like the original sensor on the bottom of the motor.

Outside air is 98degrees. Freeway at 65mph. Took a picture every 5 minutes to see what happens. Startup and back to the driveway. Looks like temp is reading correctly.

These 2 pictures are at 30 and 40 minutes. Does anyone know the actual temp's the gauge is showing? i.e. is the last reading a good reading for such heat?
bandjoey

Outside air is 98degrees. Freeway at 65 + mph.. Startup and back to the driveway. Looks like temp is reading correctly.

mb911
QUOTE(bandjoey @ May 31 2018, 12:48 PM) *

Outside air is 98degrees. Freeway at 65 + mph.. Startup and back to the driveway. Looks like temp is reading correctly.

Wish I could help but looks to be in normal range..
Ferg
Buy a IR thermometer, you can shoot the lazer at different locations including the sending unit area. IMO it's the best way to correlate where the gauge with real data.

Ferg
SirAndy
You do know you can edit your posts/threads?

No need to start a new one just because you forgot to attach an image ...
shades.gif
bandjoey
I blame it on the computer, not the user smile.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 1 2018, 09:07 AM) *

I blame it on the computer, not the user smile.gif

The 911 inserts of this type have the temp numbers right @ the top,somewhat out of view ,don't now about the 914 version as I have the 911 style gauge with vertical inserts and numbers
I have a spare one in front of me its metric but you can convert,end of the first left white mark is 60C next one is 90C then the last white marks is 120C ,the last is @ the start of the "red zone" is 150C
There is a very small mark between the 90 and 120C marks that indicates 110c,this puts the needle around vertical,hope this makes sense and is some help beer.gif .

EDIT sorry missed the pic you added, your scale is some thing a bit different however as mentioned its looks to be reading correct,appears your ''red zone" would be 120c > I think.
r_towle
is 150C close to 1Mm F?
914Sixer
Very normal for early gauge. People were panicking over how close they were to the red scale, that is why they went to the short scale 74-up.
GeorgeRud
I thought many temp gauges had a small marking at 212 degrees Fahrenheit so they could be properly calibrated. You might try to carefully look around the perimeter of the gauge.

The readings seem correct for a warm day.
bandjoey
I'll look up top tomorrow and see what the markings are. Good info.
porschetub
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 1 2018, 02:21 PM) *

I thought many temp gauges had a small marking at 212 degrees Fahrenheit so they could be properly calibrated. You might try to carefully look around the perimeter of the gauge.

The readings seem correct for a warm day.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.