Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 915 Transaxle: Taller 5th gear for a 7:31 box
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
pcar916
Ok Folks,
I'm building a 915 for a stock 3L SC. It's a 7:31 R&P and on the highway it's a screamer. I'm thinking perhaps a TL or TM 5th gear.

Anybody got either of those pairs in good condition of those of you running 915's... inverted or otherwise?

Shiny side up!
Ron
andrew15
I have a TM 915 gear available - sort of.

Unfortunately, it came with a bunch of other gears and parts and looks like it came from a trashed gearbox - The gear looks to have gotten hot - the needle bearing / carrier looks to have failed and woiuld need to be pressed out.

I'll get a few pics up later today - if it looks like it would work for you, I'd be looking at $50 given its condition.

Thanks
Andrew M
pcar916
Thanks Andrew, I'll consider it. If you post those pics I'll take a look!
sithot
Matt Monson at Guard.

http://www.guardtransmissionllc.com/produc...sets/915-gears/
pcar916
QUOTE(sithot @ Jun 26 2018, 06:31 AM) *

Thanks!
I've talked to Matt a bunch of times over the years and got my 914/LSD from him years ago. They make good stuff. I talked to him recently in fact to get an LSD for my Cayman transaxle only to find out that he only makes TBD's for them any more. He can get those high 915 gears but I'm trying to get them for a lot less than the astronomical prices they fetch these days... dang it!
naro914
I will most likely have a bunch of stock gears available but not until next year. Dawe's Motorsports will regearing our 915 over the winter. Was supposed to happen last year, but some things came up.
Justinp71
I'm in the same boat. Have you thought about running a 8.31 R&P? This would also make 1st gear more usable too.
pcar916
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 13 2018, 03:32 PM) *

I'm in the same boat. Have you thought about running a 8.31 R&P? This would also make 1st gear more usable too.

That would do it for sure but this is a friend's transaxle. He likes the low-end torque.. a lot and simply wants a highway gear, thanks.
pcar916
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jul 11 2018, 12:12 PM) *

I will most likely have a bunch of stock gears available but not until next year. Dawe's Motorsports will regearing our 915 over the winter. Was supposed to happen last year, but some things came up.

Thanks, so far I've found a couple of suppliers but costs are in the $800 range. My two mag-case gearsets are both a little lower than the one I'm trying to replace now. So even using my own won't work.

BTW, I haven't welded your excellent engine mount into Penelope yet but won't until I finish this 911 build. It'll be later this year and I'll send pics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.