Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideas - my 205/50/15 front and 225/50/15 rears are obsolete
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Tdskip
In between talking Tire Rack and doing a bunch of searches here, it appears that I am going to have to go to a different tire size.

I am a bit bummed out because I like the stance on the car now, but if it's not an option then I need to suck it up and move forward.

Tire Rack suggested 205/60/15 and 215/60/15, but apparently on a Nero fender car that could be an issue. My rear fenders are already rolled, the fronts or not.

Not sure if these are real, or more likely, replica Fuchs.

This is the "turbo" car and will likely try to run this engine for a while but it's likely to get a 3.2 L at some point and I just assume not have to replace the tires when that happens.

Thank you for all of the help and coaching, I was super active on the farm today and hope I didn't drive anyone crazy.
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
mepstein
Toyo proxes r888r 205x50x15 - $114
205x50x15 - $155
Free delivery on amazon. I’ve also seen them at tire rack (One of their big wherehouses is 10 miles from our shop) Might be a bit more aggressive than you usually buy but on our 914’s tires usually age out before they wear out.
Mueller
Tirerack shows 2 different brands that come in both sizes still, pricey at $190 each for the Pirellis and the Yokohamas are in the 220 each range.
Ed_Turbo
Put some work in it and it can turn out ok.

Welcome to the red 914 club laugh.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2018, 09:06 PM) *

Tirerack shows 2 different brands that come in both sizes still, pricey at $190 each for the Pirellis and the Yokohamas are in the 220 each range.

In the 205/50/15 and 225/50/15? The web site said no go for me and I called to check.

They have different compounds from the same manufacturer, but not the same tire.
burton73
You have been busy. I am trying to track your cars but it seems that you getting a good collection. Very cool. Question on new car. What is on the red car for suspension and brakes.

Wondering if you have adapters on the rear to get the 5 lug or adapters that would push the rear out a little. Tire side may be a little different.

By the way the wheels have a very nice finish on them from the pictures.

Bob B
Mueller
tires for 914

As a plus the Pirelli tires are true Porsche spec tires!
Tdskip
QUOTE(Ed_Turbo @ May 31 2018, 09:09 PM) *

Put some work in it and it can turn out ok.

Welcome to the red 914 club laugh.gif

Thanks. It used to be green, am I still welcome in the red club?
Tdskip
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 31 2018, 09:23 PM) *

You have been busy. I am trying to track your cars but it seems that you getting a good collection. Very cool. Question on new car. What is on the red car for suspension and brakes.

Wondering if you have adapters on the rear to get the 5 lug or adapters that would push the rear out a little. Tire side may be a little different.

Bob B

Hi Bob - it looks like I have a 911 front suspension and brakes on the front (aluminum cross member too) and 914/6 calipers on the rear.

The further the distance the better she looks - 15 footer I would say.

Thanks for the note.

Tdskip
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 31 2018, 09:26 PM) *

tires for 914

As a plus the Pirelli tires are true Porsche spec tires!

Ah - I see now. I was only searching street tires. Thanks for those options.

Kind of spendy, not sure how they would do in damp conditions.
mepstein
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 31 2018, 10:55 PM) *

Bob B

Hi Bob - it looks like I have a 911 front suspension and brakes on the front (aluminum cross member too) and 914/6 calipers on the rear.

Thanks for the note.

Real 914-6 calipers? I hope so. That would be a nice score.
Chris914n6
I feel ya.

A year ago there seemed to be more options.

I want 225/50 on my 7" cookies with at least a 200 tread wear (SCCA A/X limit) Big moola for hobby tires sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
Love the way RA1 feels, both on track on and on the street. Wear like iron (for what they are), and have both sidewalls and tread patterns that don't look out of place on a 914 like so many modern tires do.

I also like the R888, or least I did on a 997 years ago. The owner called them "edge-seeking," and he was right. That worked on his highly modified car, set up by Synergy Racing to the nth degree and beyond predictable near/at the limit. Not sure I'd like an "edge-seeking" tire on a 914, as they're harder to catch just past the no-more-grip zone.

The RA1 ain't cheap, but is worth it in my view. And, unless you are driving the car every day, they may time out before they wear out.
Chris914n6
Let me ask, what is the reason you are not running the same size tires on all 4? I did on my 6 because of the HP but it understeers too much for me so the next set will be all 225s (slightly rolled fenders).
Larmo63
50 series tires just don't look right on our cars IMHO.

poke.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 1 2018, 12:30 AM) *

Let me ask, what is the reason you are not running the same size tires on all 4? I did on my 6 because of the HP but it understeers too much for me so the next set will be all 225s (slightly rolled fenders).

Hi Chris - because I owned it for all of 30 minutes when I took those pictures.

:-)

This is how I bought it.

Tdskip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 1 2018, 12:33 AM) *

poke.gif

So what size 60's with these rims would fit?
sithot
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 1 2018, 01:33 AM) *

poke.gif

agree.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(sithot @ Jun 1 2018, 08:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 1 2018, 01:33 AM) *

poke.gif

agree.gif

This car will likely have a 3.2l in it relatively soon, but 205/60/15's on all four?
Andyrew
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 31 2018, 10:33 PM) *

poke.gif

So Im guessing 35 series tires are also out for you? biggrin.gif
Andyrew
FYI Federal makes the 205-50-15 tire size in a variety of their tires. And they are the cheapest on the market and have a big following for track day cars in the RS tires. Also they run a size wide so its closer to 215/50/15.

595-SS = Street
595-EVO = Performance street
595-RS-R = Street/Race
595-RS-RR = Street/Race in different tread pattern

You can find these on ebay or there are a bunch of different guys that resale them.
rick 918-S
I effin hate tire companies. 16's aren't any better. One street tire left in the size I run on the Alien. dry.gif 255/50/16's and 225/50/16's. I was running Yokohama's and really liked them. discontinued the 255. Change all 4 to Dunlop. went to replace them. Discontinued the 255.

That's why I went to 16's because I couldn't get big 15" tires anymore. I burn up a set of rears every summer.
Tdskip
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jun 1 2018, 08:57 AM) *

That's why I went to 16's because I couldn't get big 15" tires anymore. I burn up a set of rears every summer.

That means you are having fun!
GregAmy
Maybe I missed it, but what tire are you running now?

Another alternative to the Toyo is the Nitto NT-01. Yes, it's a "comp tire" but from experience I can tell you it wears really well and handles great. They make 205/50-15 and 225/45-15.

$155 average each from Discount Tire

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/tires/br...mpetition-tires
gothspeed
Great thread, thanks for posting your experience. I was seriously considering 15" diameter wheels but now will probably with go with 16".
TravisNeff
205x55x15 is another option for you. About the same sidewall height as your 225x50 rears. There are 225x50x15 tires available out there still, you may need to broaden your search.
Tdskip
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2018, 10:02 PM) *

Real 914-6 calipers? I hope so. That would be a nice score.

Or not....

Click to view attachment

Tdskip
Just confirmed that I have replica Fuchs (as expected), the ones on the rear are 15x7.
Mueller
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 1 2018, 07:43 AM) *

205x55x15 is another option for you. About the same sidewall height as your 225x50 rears. There are 225x50x15 tires available out there still, you may need to broaden your search.

I'm ditching my 16" Phone dials , don't care for the 30mm spacers used and I really like my new-to-me BBS 15" wheels.

I am on the fence about 50 series or 55 series, I am leaning more towards the slightly taller tire to fill up the fenderwell and better ride.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 10:43 AM) *

I'm ditching my 16" Phone dials , don't care for the 30mm spacers used and I really like my new-to-me BBS 15" wheels.

I am on the fence about 50 series or 55 series, I am leaning more towards the slightly taller tire to fill up the fenderwell and better ride.

205/60/15's?
Mueller
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 1 2018, 08:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 1 2018, 10:43 AM) *

205/60/15's?

I've only checked tire rack so far, but crappy selection, no Summer Performance or fun tires in that size. I'll check out discount.

Found some no name "summer" tires at reasonable price.

Yokohama ADVAN A048 are $220 each, not sure I want to spend that kind of money, hard to hide that much from the wife, hahaha
Larmo63
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2018, 06:35 AM) *

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ May 31 2018, 10:33 PM) *

poke.gif

So Im guessing 35 series tires are also out for you? biggrin.gif

Depends on how wide and how low. 205/60 x 15 look right to my eye.

Short tires in the wheel wells (I'm talking about 15" rims) look odd to me.

Especially in the back. I ran 205/65 x 15s on another car and they looked too tall.

Again, IMNTBHO.
piscean914
i run 195/65 r 15 michelin's on my 914-4 and that is IMHO the best size/width trade off to run close to stock with some added width - i run street tires on the track

on my '73 911, i run 225/50 r15 rears and 205/50 r15 fronts - i have been noting the lack of these tires sizes so i bought 4 of each size a few years ago - i wrote the dates on them, wrapped them, and under the house - i have these through the end of the decade or so - i doubt that i will find these again

the stock size for the early 911 RS is 195/65 r15 front and 215/60 r 15 rear - that's what i may go to or maybe 225/50 r 15's all around

hope this helps - b
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the help, both on this and my flood of questions of the past couple of days.
Mueller
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 1 2018, 06:41 AM) *

FYI Federal makes the 205-50-15 tire size in a variety of their tires. And they are the cheapest on the market and have a big following for track day cars in the RS tires. Also they run a size wide so its closer to 215/50/15.

595-SS = Street
595-EVO = Performance street
595-RS-R = Street/Race
595-RS-RR = Street/Race in different tread pattern

You can find these on ebay or there are a bunch of different guys that resale them.

They also make a 225/45-15 I just saw in one of those 595 series tires.
burton73
QUOTE(Tdskip @ May 31 2018, 07:55 PM) *

Bob B

Thanks for the note.

You have a nice base to build on. Brakes- Ck, Wheels-Nice, get the tires and see how that turbo works. Not sure how much boost you have there but I had a 2.0 with 7lb of boost going through my injection system and it was a rocket. Thing was after a long hard run the exhaust glowed red and deformed a little. I had bellows on the exhaust to control the expansion and contraction. It looked cool as well.

You are going to learn the turbo thing on a 914!

Bob B
Tdskip
Hi Bob - doing the archeology as we speak.

Eric at PMB was kind enough to look at the rear brakes that I sent him a picture of - apparently I have 911 rear calipers on a 20mm vented rotors on the back. Super people there.

Confirmed that the front sway bar is up-rated, calipers say it is a 21mm front bar.

Rollbar is bolted on to welded in mounts, doesn't look like there are any other body bracing inside the cockpit.
burton73
Do you have a parking break?

If not you may want an old 911 set up. That is what I have on my V8 car
Eric did the trailing arms for me 8 years ago with a Tangerine cable with sheath welded to the arms. Also, there tubes welded through the inside of the trailing arms for extra strength

Bob B
sithot
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 1 2018, 02:58 PM) *

Hi Bob - doing the archeology as we speak.

Eric at PMB was kind enough to look at the rear brakes that I sent him a picture of - apparently I have 911 rear calipers on a 20mm vented rotors on the back. Super people there.

Confirmed that the front sway bar is up-rated, calipers say it is a 21mm front bar.

Rollbar is bolted on to welded in mounts, doesn't look like there are any other body bracing inside the cockpit.

Sticky 175/70 or 185/70 x 15 = Avon FIA Rally-CR6ZZ-DOT

A guy on the Early S Registry runs these on 4.5 Fuchs on his 67-S and from what I hear he's not easy to lose in the twisties. $280 each.
Tdskip
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 1 2018, 02:14 PM) *

Eric did the trailing arms for me 8 years ago with a Tangerine cable with sheath welded to the arms. Also, there tubes welded through the inside of the trailing arms for extra strength

Bob B

Hi Bob-no parking brake. Will need to address that, your set up sounds neat.
burton73
Not sure that you will need extra bracing in the car. The turbo power comes rolling on not a sudden torque monster.

I just got a new Daily Driver twin turbo 2.7 Lincoln SUV V-6 with 335 hp and 380 lb-ft

That turbo feels fast right out of the hole and it is a heavy SUV

Bob B

burton73
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 1 2018, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 1 2018, 02:14 PM) *

Bob B

Hi Bob-no parking brake. Will need to address that, your set up sounds neat.

Bruce Stone has them some times. He can look for you for a set up.
marksteinhilber
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 31 2018, 07:01 PM) *

Toyo proxes r888r 205x50x15 - $114
205x50x15 - $155
Free delivery on amazon. I’ve also seen them at tire rack (One of their big wherehouses is 10 miles from our shop) Might be a bit more aggressive than you usually buy but on our 914’s tires usually age out before they wear out.

Yes on the toyo proxes r888r. They have 205 x 15 which will fit narrow body on 6 or 7 inch wheels usually. It's a great looking tire! Also check the Falken Azenis in 205x/50x15. I think Americas Tire can get them. We used the Azenis on our green 914 for autocross. Nice sticky summer tire! Toyo Proxes 225 shown on 15x8 with flaresClick to view attachment
marksteinhilber
Yes, Americas tire has the Azenis 205x50x15 that will fit on your 7 inch wheels and is the tire we run on our green 75 914. $107 per tire, order and they get within a day or two.
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/falk...615k%2b/p/34274

Click to view attachment
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(sithot @ Jun 1 2018, 12:16 PM) *

A guy on the Early S Registry runs these on 4.5 Fuchs on his 67-S and from what I hear he's not easy to lose in the twisties. $280 each.

Currently running CR6ZZs on my 914, 185/70R15s. Don't love them. Yes, there is a lot of grip once you get them going, as they are essentially hard-compound road racing tires, but the stiff sidewalls and limited (high) temp range to get them working nicely make them less than ideal street tires. Expensive, too. The sidewalls are purty, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably go P6000 N1 spec in 195/65R15 and, if I pull my rear fenders and widen to 7Rs back there, 215/60R15 in the rear.

If I just wanted to go autocrossing, I'd probably do RA1s or maybe R888Rs on a set of extra wheels. Staggered if they'd fit.

For the "right" sidewall height/bulge, Yoko A048s in 205/60 appeal, but if on a budget with a desire for GRIP, very hard to beat 205/50R15, 205/55R15, and 205/55R16 on a narrow car. There are a lot of good tires available in 205/55R16 (and to a lesser extent 225/50R16) thanks to all of the Porsches that used that size, from the 911 SC all the way up to the last 2004 Boxsters on the standard 16s...plus all of the Subaru WRXs etc that used 205/55R16.

The guys with GT flares...yeah, the pickins' are slim if you want those period sidewalls.
horizontally-opposed
delete
Chris914n6
I put 205/50-15 008r on my first car. At 23" they look small, and really fat on 5.5" wheels laugh.gif

The 6 has stock Boxster 16s @ 25" and they look stuffed in the wheel well.

I think the 225/50-15 @ 24" would be a good compromise if I could find stickies. Seem to have all gone 225/45 @ 23" -- too many rpms for the out-of-state drives.
Tdskip
Good morning gentlemen.

What do you all think of the following staggered size on 911 style Fuchs

205/60/15 fronts
215/60/15 rears

Anyone running those?

Extra meat in rear useful if a 3.2 ends up back there?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.