Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need my trans case cleaned
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gcrotvik
I need to have my trans case cleaned. Can someone recommend a shop in Portland (or the outlying areas) that specializes in cleaning and treating mag cases? I want a professional to do it, as I'd probably make a mistake and damage it in some way.

Thanks,
Greg
mepstein
If it’s a bare case, find someone with a hot steam pressure washer. Takes 5-10 minutes and gets it clean without chemicals. The steam melts off the tar, undercoating and oil and the pressure gets all the nooks and crannies clean. If you were around me, I’d do it for the cost of a cheap tyvek suit - $10. It makes a bit of a mess.

Then I would just hose it down with Gibbs or ACF-50
gcrotvik
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 1 2018, 09:39 AM) *

If it’s a bare case, find someone with a hot steam pressure washer. Takes 5-10 minutes and gets it clean without chemicals. The steam melts off the tar, undercoating and oil and the pressure gets all the nooks and crannies clean. If you were around me, I’d do it for the cost of a cheap tyvek suit - $10. It makes a bit of a mess.

Then I would just hose it down with Gibbs or ACF-50

Hi Mark,

It's a NOS case that is clean of grease/dirt/etc. It is NOS though so the magnesium surface has oxidized. There is no pitting so I'd like to remove the oxidation. Some have suggested soda blasting? Will a hot tank clean the oxidation off?

I'm going to pull all the studs this weekend and get them ready to be re-plated.

Greg
mtndawg
I've soda blasted light oxidation with good success. After soda blasting I've been told that it's a good idea to rinse with vinegar.
cary
Greg, Gordon Ledbetter uses plastic beads to finish the high $$ mag cases.
gcrotvik
QUOTE(cary @ Jun 1 2018, 12:29 PM) *

Greg, Gordon Ledbetter uses plastic beads to finish the high $$ mag cases.

Hi Cary,

Thanks for the information. The last time I was in the shop, Jeff mentioned that Gordon wasn't regularly in the shop these days. Is that true? If so, what is the best way to get a hold of him?

Thanks,
Greg
mepstein
The place we use to blast our chassis uses plastic media. I bet if you call around you can find someone. It will look great when done.
cary
They bought a place in Arizona. I think he's finally really retiring.
But he was in the shop week ............. I think you'll need to catch him at weak moment.

When I get home I'll PM you his contact info.
bretth
I believe hot tanking can dissolve magnesium from what I have heard.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.