Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: excess fumes in the cabin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
i love my car, except for the smell of gas fumes in the cabin. my setup is dual weber 40's w/k&n's. it doesn't happen when the roof is on, but even my clothes reek after driving topless. it's especially too bad because i'd like to remove the rain tub to make even more nice noise... i think might pass out if i did that!

is there a way to route more air down through the engine bay? is anyone else bothered by this?

thanks!

paul
Robert21
biggrin.gif i had gas fumes in the cabin ' i turned out to be gas cap .
put on new gasket no more fumes . not saying thats your problem
just one more thing to check .
good luck
\

robert21
lapuwali
Replace the carbs with proper fuel injection.

The carbs, you'll note, have large float bowl vents (those slots between the throats under the air filters) that vent gas fumes into the air quite readily. Most Webers are also set up pretty rich, which doesn't help any. You also want to make sure the fuel tank vent (which goes all the way to the back of the car goes into something. If it's just hanging there open, you're venting the fuel tank directly into the engine bay. The charcoal canister (if you still have one at all) is also likely just a straight pass-through now. The FI airboxes have a place for the tank vent to go so the fumes get stucked into the engine. You can vent this into the air filters with some drilling and tapping, but like the float bowl vents, the fumes will often leak past the filters at idle.

If you're really intent on staying with the carbs, then making some airboxes to fit where the K&N filters go now will help this problem considerably.
Rand
Smell around in the engine compartment, and the front trunk. Where are the fumes the strongest?

I had fumes that were coming from the front trunk.

My fix was eliminating the expansion tank, charcoal canister, and all the hoses and crap that go with that mess. I vented the filler neck to the outside of the car.
lotus_65
yep, my gas cap is old, i'll check it. the smell is strongest at the engine bay, so i'll check up front thoroghly to eliminate this first. also the carbs are set up as lean as we could get them from the start. i don't think i'm spilling that way, but i'll check it too.

i really now respect the injection setup, it seems like i had a wild hair when i kissed it goodby! but that's water passed, so i'm intrigued by the box idea, lapuwali. i would sacrifice the song of the engine some, but it would help a lot i'm sure.
i'll also check the canister and expansion tank.

thanks all~
Eric_Shea
i love my car, except for the smell of gas fumes in the cabin

That's exactly what my wife says about "all" my cars... blink.gif

(I have an extra gas cap if it ends up being that... metal version)
lotus_65
That's exactly what my wife says about "all" my cars...

heh~ mine's now referred to as ex...!

thanks for the offer for the cap, don't you think i can just replace the gasket? besides, i'm almost positive it's coming from the engine. i'll know when i get home from work tonight and update.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.