Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: vintage-look tire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
May be old news, but a friend of mine made me aware of this tire, available from tire rack and possibly other sources - Vredestein "classic". I was looking for something somewhat "period correct" for the spare, but not too expensive. Size choices appear a bit limited, but has a great vintage look:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Next
Yup...Bought a set recently to replace the aged-out tires on my '73. Great vintage look and I like the ride so far also.
rhodyguy
Other makes of 180-60/65 15 non directional tires are available for a lot less $. No need to spend the better part of $600 on a set of tires.
ChrisFoley
Vredestein was the only brand we could find for a set of tires to go on 14" 914-6 Fuchs.
I found it interesting that the name Giugiaro was on the sidewall too.
horizontally-opposed
Had these on my 914 for 2000-3000 miles.

I'd rate the Vreds thusly:

Period correctness: A+
Factory correctness vs Coker Michelins: B+
Steering response/sweetness: A++
Ride quality: A
Grip as a vintage street tire: A-
Grip as a performance tire: C-
Value vs other period correct tires: B+
Value vs more modern tires: B-

For me, the C- was the death knell. I gave mine away to Harvey Weidman when he did some work on my wheels and asked him to mount something else—Dunlops in 195/65, I think. They weren't great, either. Then we changed the wheel finish again, and mounted Avon CR6ZZs in 185/70R15. They're better, and look great, but I think I'd do Pirelli P6000 N1s in 195/65R15 if I had it to do over again.

I like the period looks of the Vreds, Avons, XWXs, CN36s, etc...but I was spoiled by the wider, more modern 15-inch tires of the 1990s and 2000s. Too bad the P6000 and Yoko A048 are the only current choices for those who want performance with a tall sidewall. Curious about the BFG Radial T/A in 205/60R15, but betting it ain't great as a sports car tire.

Cal
Here's an interesting article the compares Vredestein to the Michelin, Pirelli and Blockley tires in the 185/70 R15 size. The Vredestein stacks up pretty well.

https://www.cinturato.net/images/test-classic-tyres-0716.pdf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.