Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Building a Go-Kart
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I'm thinking of building a go-kart. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it. Mainly, the centrifical clutch. Where do I buy one? How much do they cost? Any other tips and ideas? Our shop is on a dead end street and I want to do some weekend go-kart autocrossing. driving.gif
Verruckt
Surely in your neck of the woods there would be several places that sell gokarts and minibikes, and the associated parts. I woudl think a clutch wouldnt be more than about $30? If not, then definitely you could find one online.
Mueller
eBay has a bunch.......pretty cheap like mentioned above...you gotta see how many 914 parts the go-kart can be made with smash.gif welder.gif
i love porsche
id say build something in the vein of a FSAE car....super fast....if you build it big enough you could probably take the drivetrain out of a civic or something and throw it behind you for lots of power and grip...just get a pipe bender and a bunch of pipe, and you can build your own tubeframe...its tons o fun
McMark
I just want something small and cheap. It's just for fun and practice. If this one goes well I'll retire it and build one with suspension. I don't want to buy one, I want the fabrication expereince. I'll have to check out eBay.
Mueller
id say build something in the vein of a FSAE car

might "attract" too much attention and be unsafe unsure.gif

the cops are less likely to bother you if just putting around in a go-kart powered by a lawn mower engine....

I've got a 5.5 hp motor, only problem is that it is a vertical shaft motor.....not sure what is wrong with it....it seized up on me one day and I just went out and bought a new mower...
bondo
QUOTE (Mueller @ Jun 10 2005, 05:37 PM)
eBay has a bunch.......pretty cheap like mentioned above...you gotta see how many 914 parts the go-kart can be made with smash.gif welder.gif

I'd say start with the type 4 and 901, and go from there. smile.gif Every time I see a freshly dropped 914 drivetrain sitting on a moving dolly, I can't help but think "Wouldn't it be awesome to put some wheels and a seat on that?" burnout.gif
McMark
My dad has an old dirtbike that I'm going to check out. I might be able to use the engine off that. happy11.gif
Verruckt
Oh man, gokarts could be so much fun....

80cc dirtbike engine, shifting gears! driving-girl.gif
Look at the ass end of a 4wheeler sometime... nice beefy axles, disk brake... drooley.gif
Then go look at some kart race shop.. wheels, tires, steering... w00t.gif
rick 918-S
Use the bike motor! Cool!

If you use a Briggs find a Nothern Tool and Supply. They sell Mini Bikes, Go Carts, and parts.
Trekkor
O.K., I'm *officially intrested*. biggrin.gif

I'll round up some motors for you to fool with.

6.5 hp spec 914 gokart cup?

KT
i love porsche
heres "my" go-cart, 10 hp, briggs and stratton motor, chromoly tubeframe, lots o fun!

next week is the SAE event!
sj914
There's a place down in San Jose called Cal Carts. You could give them a visit and see what they got as far as parts.
McMark
Just talked to my dad. The motor is torn apart (no biggie) but it's a 175cc. Should be interesting. driving.gif

Step One: Put the motor back together.
Step Two: Buy all the pieces (brakes, wheels, etc).
Step Three: Build the frame.
Step Four: Put it all together.
Step Five: Zoooooooom!
Rand
Play with Google.

http://www.gokartsupply.com/
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gocartpar...arts_index.html
Etc., etc.

I'm with you man. Building a kart from scratch in the garage and playing with it in the neighborhood... what's better than that?

I have a 12-year-old son who loves cars, our 914, and other projects. There's no better way to get him into driving!

Grainger has everything too.

If you're handy with fabbing, you can scout around for parts from lawn mower places, pick-a-part junk yards, etc. We have a motorcycle place around Seattle called "Bent Bike" that's good for parts. It's fun to experiment with this kinda stuff.
McMark
I looked at both of those places today. Lots of nice stuff.

I was looking at McMaster Carr for shocks and springs, but I think this first kart will be solid suspension for simplicity.

Maybe I can make a fiberglass 914-esque body for it. biggrin.gif
Mr.C
Try this http://www.edge.au.com/ They have some awesome plans. I would like to build their sidwinder.
rhodyguy
for a cheap shifter cart, look for an old honda trail 90. the one with the step through frame. 4 speed auto. no clutch.

k
Aaron Cox
go 2 stroke....only way to fly.

we had some 125cc shifter carts on our block. 60 mph 1 inch off the ground? too much fun biggrin.gif
David_S
I had an early 70's Honda 750 four cylinder with a trashed frame given to me last night ......and I have a 250 cc Odyssey with no engine !!!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif hmmmmmm things might get a little wild here ........ idea.gif
Rhodes71/914
Before I left Oregon I had an old Rupp snowmobile that was pretty beat up but the engine ran great. I wanted to turn it into a go-kart. I think it would have been very fast.
street legal go-kart
Mc,
See My icon.
My son, The Creature's ride.
This was built for $ 60.
42 mph.
Stock Briggs 5 hp.
However this is nothing, pm me and I will send you pictures of a 90+ mph $600 kart!
The Creature is now 15 yo and eying my Teener ohmy.gif

JT
street legal go-kart
Oh yeah Clutches?

Fresno Saw or PKS Karts both in Fresno.
Both have good prices and will ship..

JT
Cap'n Krusty
AAAAAAAAAHemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. The Cap'ns Kart is still on the market........................ The Cap'n
Rand
Shifter karts get crazy.

I had a Honda CR-500 (223 lb motorcycle with 60 hp 2-stroke water pumper). I sold it to a guy and later found out he only bought it for the motor, which he put in his kart. Bittersweet, but... he was clocked at 90mph in his kart at a race. Like Aaron said... 1" off the ground, no body around you... it takes the rush factor up a coupla notches.
Rand
Ok Cap'n... stop teasing. Tell us more about your kart... or do we need to go dig it out of the classifieds?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE (Rand @ Jun 11 2005, 12:52 PM)
Ok Cap'n... stop teasing. Tell us more about your kart... or do we need to go dig it out of the classifieds?

Invader, Yamaha. Older Kart, built by a guy who spent years being competitive. Bought it from a friend who put his kids into it. Spent most of its life being used for practice. I need 800 bucks for it. Comes with a starter, needs tires. The Cap'n
Joe Ricard
Ok, I'll confess I need a KART. Like I don't spend enough $$$$ on the teener. This needs to be a Junior Kart for Autocross. Not keen on the wheel to wheel stuff.
Saw 8 year old girl in a Junior Kart Saturday night AX. She ran within seconds of the big cars. Actually I think she beat the lower 1/3 of the cars. (not me). beer.gif

My 5yr old said "Hey I want one of them". No reason not to. shop this year for a good deal and then 2 years to practice in the local parking lot. April 2007 he should be able to put a whippin on anything with 4 wheels. driving.gif
iamchappy
Here is a shot of me at 14 with my kart at Brainard International. I've been trying to make my 914 as fast and handle like it even though I know I cant. The kart got kinda light and scary over 140.
Joe Ricard
I have a hard time keeping my Carbbs synched up. Can't imagine two engines blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.