Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Side Windows Inter-changeable ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Literati914
Are the side windows inter-change between the early and late cars? Are there differences? Should I expect to just switch out the glass itself or the whole scissor mechanism.. looking for easiest obviously. Any advice, before tackleing the job ? Thanks.
mepstein
Nope. Totally different. Nothing can be interchanged.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no totally different would have to cut a piece out of the late door shell and weld it in then use late window regulator front and rear guides and of course the window itself

No one wants to install the early mechanism into a late door but it just takes all of the above but instead of welding a piece, need to elongate some holes

QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 2 2018, 12:03 PM) *

Are the side windows inter-change between the early and late cars? Are there differences? Should I expect to just switch out the glass itself or the whole scissor mechanism.. looking for easiest obviously. Any advice, before tackleing the job ? Thanks.

Literati914
Sorry I wasn't specific - I'm talking '72 and '74... does the above still apply?
jcd914
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 2 2018, 12:30 PM) *

Sorry I wasn't specific - I'm talking '72 and '74... does the above still apply?

Yes, different glass, different regulator, different window guides, different window seals, different door structure, etc....

The change was late 72 production year which is early 73 MY cars.

Jim
TravisNeff
Is there a thread on doing this conversion (from early glass to late/regulator change?) This is on my list of projects that I would like to do.
mepstein
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 2 2018, 05:26 PM) *

Is there a thread on doing this conversion (from early glass to late/regulator change?) This is on my list of projects that I would like to do.

Digging into hell thread.
mepstein
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 2 2018, 03:30 PM) *

Yes. I lot of guys just buy later doors. Not a perfect solution because of the targa top but acceptable for many.
Literati914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 2 2018, 05:19 PM) *

Yes. I lot of guys just buy later doors. Not a perfect solution because of the targa top but acceptable for many.

I could just use the entire door/glass from the '74 parts car on my '72 keeper... but, umm... what's different about the targas?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 2 2018, 03:38 PM) *
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 2 2018, 05:19 PM) *

I could just use the entire door/glass from the '74 parts car on my '72 keeper... but, umm... what's different about the targas?

The same time the doors changed the targa tops and their side seals changed as well. A late top won't seal right on an early car and vice versa.
So, if you go with late doors on an early car, you should also get a late top and the correct seals.

There's a lengthy thread here showing all the differences between early vs late tops ...
shades.gif
Literati914
Sounding like I'd be better off just finding a replacement '72 passenger window. Sounds too like finding one from a 70 and 71's would be better in keeping me from accidentally getting an early '73 window - correct? Are there any tell-tell characteristics when looking at pictures between the early and late windows?
TravisNeff
Yes 70-72 all will work
mepstein
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 2 2018, 11:21 PM) *

Sounding like I'd be better off just finding a replacement '72 passenger window. Sounds too like finding one from a 70 and 71's would be better in keeping me from accidentally getting an early '73 window - correct? Are there any tell-tell characteristics when looking at pictures between the early and late windows?

Yes. The brackets on an early window look very different than a late window. It’s very easy to tell the difference.

When the early mechanism is lubed up, it works fine. Mikey has the small plastic buttons if yours are worn out.
mlindner
Not sure if this helps. I installed early doors on my 74, but kept the late glass and mechanicals. Had to add aluminum plate to support slide and redill holes around window crank. Worked out well. Best, MarkClick to view attachment
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2018, 08:13 AM) *

Mikey has the small plastic buttons if yours are worn out.

Does he? I can't find them on the site and I've been bugging him for a while to make these. Those are important to getting correct window height and a good seal.
Mikey914
Unfortunately Ive been making parts faster than Blake can get them listed. Ill have in get these up Monday and post a link.

Got these and a few other items. Probably about time for another grpup buy.
Mark
BeatNavy
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 3 2018, 10:34 AM) *

Ill have in get these up Monday and post a link.

Click to view attachment
altitude411
I have late style doors with early regulators installed on my six. I wanted crash bars in the door but early windows to fit the top. Just need to drill a couple of holes. (Just in case anyone is researching in the future) *apologize for stromberg.gif photo

Click to view attachment
mepstein
We've installed crash bars in early 911 doors. The metal bar is available for sale. I think we used high strength adhesive.
mlindner
altitude, funny, I got the early doors to rid of the weight of the crash bars. Mark
altitude411
QUOTE(mlindner @ Jun 3 2018, 09:52 AM) *

altitude, funny, I got the early doors to rid of the weight of the crash bars. Mark

dry.gif I need the extra weight in my six. So much power and speed it wants to lift at 150 + MPH. poke.gif
Literati914
So, I'm still leaning towards an easy solution... If I was to slap late doors/windows on to my '72, as well as a late model targa roof - I'd be good to go, right? (I have a late parts car). Plus I'd have the advantage of a little more crash protection from the doors. I'm adding a roll bar to this (mostly) street car anyway.
Literati914
UPDATE - went to do the door switch-a-roo today and (wait for it...)... the dang side window on my '72 IS NOT EVEN BROKEN headbang.gif ... piratenanner.gif . That's right, the front edge of the side glass, towards the top, has a factory made dog-leg curve to it which is normally covered by a metal strip. That strip had come loose and slid down, exposing what looked like a huge chipped off chunk of glass lol-2.gif . I'm sorry guys, never seen that before, and it's been ages since I was up close and personal with an earlier car! Anyway, I 'fixed' it using 3M weatherstripping goo to hold the strip in it's proper place and for the small metal/plastic piece at the bottom rearward edge. Thanks for all the help!
mepstein
Nice when it’s a simple solution.

A lot of the parts on our cars are sort of interchangeable but not really.
Mikey914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2018, 05:55 PM) *

Nice when it’s a simple solution.

A lot of the parts on our cars are sort of interchangeable but not really.

That pretty much sums it up.
Mikey914
Blake had tests today, so he was off. I got a basic listing up and will have him tweek it, but it's up.
Mark

https://shop.914rubber.com/914-window-rolle...m?categoryId=-1
BeatNavy
Ordered!
Literati914
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 4 2018, 07:48 PM) *

Blake had tests today, so he was off. I got a basic listing up and will have him tweek it, but it's up.
Mark

You wouldn't have the little rollers that are on the metal edge strip that fits on the front edge of the window, would you? There are 4 rollers each window and mine went flying when I pulled the window from the front guide channel. I was able to recover 3 only sad.gif
BeatNavy
He definitely has those for early windows (we are talking early at this point, right?):

https://shop.914rubber.com/914-Early-Window...m?categoryId=-1
majkos1
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 4 2018, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 4 2018, 07:48 PM) *

Mark

You wouldn't have the little rollers that are on the metal edge strip that fits on the front edge of the window, would you? There are 4 rollers each window and mine went flying when I pulled the window from the front guide channel. I was able to recover 3 only sad.gif

I've taken apart several windows in the past and saved all the piece for future MIA parts rolleyes.gif
Give me a address and I'll send a couple.
PM me
majkos1
Wow!
I was going to send some pics of different regulators when I discovered something off.
Let's see how many knew about this finding biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment
majkos1
Late regulator on top,
Early regulator below.
Click to view attachment
majkos1
Closer view.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.