Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Quasi-legal question: what happens with the car that has had the front clip replaced so only two of the three VINs match?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Edit: fixed the title so clear I am asking about VIN, not vendor obviously. Darn Siri.

Not my car!-Again let me just repeat it is not on one of my cars, helping a friend out with something he bought and I just had the misfortune of discovering on his behalf.

The window and door jam match but the front clip is from a totally different car. How does that get handled?

It may never come up but wouldn't that freak out California DMV?

Instant parts car?
bandjoey
With a clear title shouldn't ever be an issue. Bill of sale? Need a California specific answer.
Blue6
With mismatched VIN’s, the only way to rectify is a visit to the CHP...
Tdskip
So if clear in SoCal currently likely OK to bring to CHP and have them clear it up? Any idea what sort of documentation would be required?

Wouldn’t the structure of the car be iffy? Don’t want this guy doing a hard turn and a ing the car bend on him.
ConeDodger
Just had a VIN inspection at DMV in California. He was only concerned with the windshield and the door. I even told him there was a third stamping in the frunk and he didn't care.
Tdskip
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2018, 03:22 PM) *

Just had a VIN inspection at DMV in California. He was only concerned with the windshield and the door. I even told him there was a third stamping in the frunk and he didn't care.

Thanks for the responses.

Wonder if that was a fluke Rob?
jcd914
Since the windshield VIN plate is removable and the door jamb VIN is a sticker, your friend should be sure to have documentation for the clip replacement. The fender VIN is the only VIN that is not removable.

Getting a VIN straight with CA DMV and the CHP can be a challenge.

Read through Paul's thread on his VIN recovery.
Not the same situation but interesting.
Paul's VIN Recovery

Jim
burton73
If the marking is all there in the original Door jamb Vin and the stamped A pillar Vin. I would go to a CHP and get the replacement stamping or whatever they do for this kind of thing or do not worry about it. He may go nuts worrying

When I registered my 6 number #41 10 years ago at the AAA they looked in all the places to make sure there where 2 of them. They said they only needed 2

I also want to point out that I think your buddy’s car will always have a cloud over it because it was clipped and when he goes to sell it will bring much less because of it.

As far as safe? If done right I think he will be OK, but I have seen some crappie welds on cars. I have seen cars that did not drive straight because of this very thing.

If clipped the right way the factory suggests it will be strong.

Bob B

ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 2 2018, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2018, 03:22 PM) *

Thanks for the responses.

Wonder if that was a fluke Rob?

Well, we both know that you never know what you'll get at California DMV. He asked me to pop the hood and then said "where's the engine?" I showed him the engine and said there's no VIN in there. He said "oh, we're done. I'm just in love with the car."

Ok... me too! wub.gif
mepstein
My GT in waiting car was vin switched by the shop that sold it to me. I didn't know until recently. It wasn't an issue when I purchased it in the 80's. They just covered over the vin stamp on the fender. Very few people or places know where to look on our cars. It may be an issue for your friend, it may not.
Tdskip
Thanks for all of the replies, Scott is pretty conscientious and would disclose the issue, so I'm thinking it's going to have to get it sorted with DMV/CHP.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 3 2018, 12:33 AM) *

Thanks for all of the replies, Scott is pretty conscientious and would disclose the issue, so I'm thinking it's going to have to get it sorted with DMV/CHP.

CHP will do an inspection. On all salvage titles, they inspect to make sure the car wasn’t reconstructed with stolen parts. Request a CHP inspection and they’ll run the second VIN.
Tdskip
I think the car has a clean title, will ask him.

Sounds like he should call AAA (or SD Sherriff) and check on that VIN on the front clip.
Dr Evil
Is this car yellow?
Tdskip
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 4 2018, 02:06 PM) *

Is this car yellow?

Hi Doc, car is white over blue currently. Except for the front trunk which is orange.

Scott confirmed the title is clean with VIN matching the windshield and door jam.
Andyrew
I brought my dads 944 turbo in from Oregon and went back and forth with the guy inspecting it for 45 mins that what he though was missing was right in front of him. He finally gave in after me pitching a fit that I had been trying to get the car registered for a month and their system was so screwed up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.