Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strut Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
How much do these things do?? Are they worth it?
Geoff
campbellcj
I have the Weltmeister flavor on my car. I can't really say how much they do, but they look kinda cool and when it's the PO's $400 you're spending, I like 'em smile.gif Not sure if I would spend the coin myself though -- I'd probably do a full welded camber box if anything. In fact I still might...

Jeroen
Hey Geoff,

If you want the complete camberplates, usually about $400 / $450
The good thing about those is that the (usually) come with offset mountingholes so you can get more negative camber
Quite a few places sell these (mostly Weltmeister, but there are some others as well)

You can also get monoball cartridges. These replace the rubber items in your existing camberplates and usually sell a little under $300
You can get these from Smart Racing and Elephant Racing

I'd say they're for racing purposes only

Cheers,

Jeroen
Tony C
You want these....

IPB Image

-Tony
Jeroen
Errrr... actually YES biggrin.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but these don't look like the pre-fabbed camberboxes from Smart-racing
How hard is it to get the angles right on the boxes?
And what gauge sheetmetal do use for them?

Cheers,

Jeroen
Tony C
Those are the Smart Camber boxes with Ground Control camber caster plates. These are on a customers 914-V8 car. It took about 16hours of fabrication time to cut away the old mounts, trim the boxes, and weld them in. It was not a trivial job and about 2 hours of that time is measuring and re-measuring. It was cool to be able to re-install the stock gas tank though! Here is a link to more pictures of the project. The boxes are made from 16g steel.

TC Design pics

-Tony
Bleyseng
Damn, that's way more work than I want to do. What I was wondering was do the strut bearings really help? Do they make the car less streetable?
Geoff
Jeroen
Geoff,

What's your goal and what other susp mods do you have?

Cheers,

Jeroen
J P Stein
Dave showed those spherical mounts at the 28thingy.
For what they do(eliminate the rubbers flex) all is well and good.

The problem arises when one goes to R spec tires.
Both Hoosier and Kuhmo like lots of negative camber.
For AX, guys are pushing 2 1/2 degrees at both ends.
I presently have about 1/4 deg neg at front and am fresh out of adjustment. Since these mounts do nothing for that,
I have no need of them.
Chris' set up looks good, but............
I have been instructed by Brad to wait for a new product that is coming out...soon, I hope. It has a spherical ball and
brings along a healthy dose of negative camber. Brad's no bullshitter (well... wink.gif ), so I'm waiting.
Brad Roberts
Tony was my witness. He stood right there when I was talking to RichW at Smart about a mid. Jan release date. Hang in there.

B
Tony C
Yep, Rich told us that a "bolt-in" product should be available very soon. But for those with dedicated track cars on real slicks, the camber/caster boxes are the way to go.

-Tony
campbellcj
JP, you really only get -.5 in the front? I thought most stock teeners could get about 1.5-1.6 without cutting or tweaking.
brant
The camber, or negative camber varies for each car...
The standard top replacement piece is kinda like solid motor mounts in a street car..... a small improvement but hard to feel. A little more noise and a little less steetable.

Tony, that is some beautiful work...
but please people read your rule book before you go that far. Two of the sanctioning bodies I'm in would not permit the camber plates without stepping up to a full GT type class... and then your talking full fiberglass racecars...
The third vintage organization locally, would not permit them at all.......

So if you run a semi-street car, you may want to think about 1)not welding supports to the pickup points.
2)not modifying the pickup points.

brant
campbellcj
Very good points Brant. For example, in POC (Calif.) we only get hit with 1 point for camber mods - involving cutting or welding - and/or raised strut spindles. But if you alter pickup points or add tubes or bracing outside of the cockpit, that's another few points. None of these mods are permitted in the "lower" (stock/improved/production) classes. Bolt in stuff is though. I take no mod points for the bolt-in Welt pieces.
brant
Chris....

Is sunday going to be a track practice for you..
TAKE PICTURES>>>> UPDATE US...

good luck.
keep it safe

brant
campbellcj
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 2 2003, 11:06 AM)
Chris....

Is sunday going to be a track practice for you..
TAKE PICTURES>>>> UPDATE US...

good luck.
keep it safe

brant

Actually it's a real POC points event (short-track series).

I might make a half-serious run for a trophy this year. Just showing up to most of the events throughout the year gives you a good shot in the less-crowded classes.

I will take pics and maybe some video. Should be a fun day, but it will be about 35 degs in the a.m.
Tony C
Brant, I am fully aware of the rules. Those were installed in a 914-V8 car that will soon have 500hp AT THE WHEELS and weighs 2300lbs! biggrin.gif Where does that fit into PCA rules??? blink.gif The owner uses the car as a daily driver in the summer and at open track events.

-Tony C
brant
Tony,

I looked at photos of that car when brad posted them a short while back... and its awesome...
I'm absolutely sure that you know the rules, I just learned the hard way that I myself didn't understand them when I started out in this hobby.

don't get me wrong, I think your front plates are pretty amazing, and I'd like to have them... but out here I'm pretty restricted in the number of locations I'd have to play with a car like that......

When I did my first ever drivers-ed back in 91, I thought I had a cooooool... street car. I showed up and got blown away... mostly because of lack of skill. As I developed some minor experience, I learned that my cool street car was also uncompetetive because of the modifications on it which placed it into a pretty high class.

I ended up rebuilding and respending alot of money.
Its been my experience that those of us less lucky than the west coast... usually have to go through PCA to have somewhere to play.... and PCA does not take fondly of major mods... The local open track days around here are (in my opinion) a bad/unsafe place to play. My buddy was at an open track day last thursday with no ambulance, no corner workers, and not enough structure... I spent the entire last winter helping him build the car, and last week he ended up in a wall with the frame bent.... complete chassis total.

Beautiful work.... I would give my front tooth for a ride in that v-8 monster....

brant
Brad Roberts
mad.gif sad.gif unsure.gif blink.gif ph34r.gif Tony... add some smilies. I can see you smiling in the posts.. ohmy.gif huh.gif wink.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif cool.gif rolleyes.gif smile.gif
Tony C
Yes, Brad knows me well, and I know that post may have come off a little harsh. I edited the post.
-Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.