Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear shift bar removal with engine in.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob's project
I am wanting to remove my rear shift bar from the firewall to the transmission on a side shift assembly. It appears as if there is no way of navigating it out of the transmission shift housing even with it disconnected at the fire wall.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Thanks in advance.

Bob
iankarr
Yes it does come out with the engine in. Remove the cone screws at the firewall and transmission console ends, then push the shift rod rearward until it clears the shifter connection at the firewall. Then just drop it down and pull it forward.
bob's project
Thanks!. I guess that means the rear bushing has to come out first to allow for the larger diameter section of the shaft to pass through. Everything is so coated in grime that it is hard to see these sequences some times.
Cheers!
IronHillRestorations
1st pull back the rubber boot at the firewall, and I use needle nosed vice grips to hold the shift rod that goes through the firewall, to keep it in place; and remove the (cone) set screw in the coupling,and you can pull the front end of the shift rod out. Next loosen the clamp that holds the plastic cover on the side of the trans, you can't take that cover off until the rear shift rod is disconnected, but you can re-position it to get to the cone set screw. Once you get both cone screws out you can manipulate the shift rod to get it through the eye in the engine bar.

The correct cone screws have a nyloc insert in the threads, and in a perfect world are a one and done fastener. In a pinch you could use some blue thread locker on a re-used cone screw, but new ones are always best. If the cone screw comes loose you will lose the ability to shift gears.
bob's project
Thank for the replies. I finally figured this how the manipulate the bar out. My lift was preventing me from recognizing the obvious route to extract it. Sure glad I'm doing this. My tail bushings are absolutely shot!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.