Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 944
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dion
Hmmm.... could be bad parenting but...
Well I won an auction on BaT. My son had been wanting a 944
since he was about 13, when he saw one while visiting the Lime Rock Historic races
with me. So here’ we are a couple years later. No drivers license yet. But soon to be.
He’s 16 now and he will now really know what sports cars and
car maintenance are all about. He’s not a die hard gear head but
he enjoys the shows and the can-am cars and the Trans Am series race cars.
Something about the 944 appeals to him. He leaves me alone in my misery of the
914-6 build. Heheheh. Just thought I’d share.
Looking forward to an autocross in the future with him!
Car needs some attention but it travelled without issue in the 90*F heat. Drove it some
60 miles. It’s a early 1983 model. Manual everything! Needs some cosmetic stuff on interior and possible rear trans mounts. Prolly replace timing belt soon.
Less than 10,000 miles on belt but it’s over 5yrs now. Ok that’s all.
Back to the 914 build!
michael7810
That’s awesome. I love my 944. Have fun
914xr75
Sweet first car! You guys are going to have a lot of fun.
Mueller
Cool Dad award goes to you!

Latest Panorama has a neat article about the timing belt tensioning tool, I can send you my copy when I finish reading it if you are not a PCA member.

porschetub
QUOTE(Dion @ Jun 3 2018, 02:19 PM) *

Hmmm.... could be bad parenting but...
Well I won an auction on BaT. My son had been wanting a 944
since he was about 13, when he saw one while visiting the Lime Rock Historic races
with me. So here’ we are a couple years later. No drivers license yet. But soon to be.
He’s 16 now and he will now really know what sports cars and
car maintenance are all about. He’s not a die hard gear head but
he enjoys the shows and the can-am cars and the Trans Am series race cars.
Something about the 944 appeals to him. He leaves me alone in my misery of the
914-6 build. Heheheh. Just thought I’d share.
Looking forward to an autocross in the future with him!
Car needs some attention but it travelled without issue in the 90*F heat. Drove it some
60 miles. It’s a early 1983 model. Manual everything! Needs some cosmetic stuff on interior and possible rear trans mounts. Prolly replace timing belt soon.
Less than 10,000 miles on belt but it’s over 5yrs now. Ok that’s all.
Back to the 914 build!

Hi mate PM me anytime I know these cars heaps,cheers.
ConeDodger
Our youngest wanted and got the same. His is an 85+. 914rubber is actually doing some 944 parts! Just a few but...
jmitro
Cool! I had 3 of those fun cars. All black!
mb911
Very nice.. Much nicer start then my son's 88.. I like them they are a quality car.
theer
Same here: son # 1’s first car was an ‘86, also black, but not nearly as nice shape. He is 21 and still has it- learned all about minor & major repairs on it. He is now helping to get son #2’s $300 barn find ‘85 up and running for his just-turned-16 little brother.

So, now your son will always be able to say his first car was a Porsche!!
mb911
Between the 4 of us all our kids have 944s.. We should have a 944 section on this forum biggrin.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 3 2018, 07:57 AM) *

Between the 4 of us all our kids have 944s.. We should have a 944 section on this forum biggrin.gif

We do. It’s called the - for sale section. lol-2.gif
Dion
That’s awesome guys, thanks for the positive comments. Heheheh
It’s like a support group. Except for Mepstein, it’s ok Mark I still support you Heheheh
Ok Dean you volunteered! Your phone might be ringing!
Thanks again fellas.
mb911
QUOTE(Dion @ Jun 3 2018, 04:28 AM) *

That’s awesome guys, thanks for the positive comments. Heheheh
It’s like a support group. Except for Mepstein, it’s ok Mark I still support you Heheheh
Ok Dean you volunteered! Your phone might be ringing!
Thanks again fellas.

Also I can be a resource as I have had to learn allot in the last 6 months though my son's is an 88..
Dion
Thanks Ben, appreciate that.
carr914
I had an '84 (my first DE Car, when DE's were just starting) - very nicely balanced car. I'm planning on doing a LS Conversion into a Turbo Chassis

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
theer
Lots of help out there. The 944 forum over at Pelican is very active and super supportive- Not as good as our little world here, but very good- way better than most other model specific car forums. Lots of parts sources, too.

Great little car- slightly under powered (a good thing for a 16 year old), but superb handling and brakes (also a good thing). Also the body is galvanized, so rust isn’t nearly as big a problem.

Good luck with it.

Dion
QUOTE(theer @ Jun 3 2018, 08:51 AM) *

Lots of help out there. The 944 forum over at Pelican is very active and super supportive- Not as good as our little world here, but very good- way better than most other model specific car forums. Lots of parts sources, too.

Great little car- slightly under powered (a good thing for a 16 year old), but superb handling and brakes (also a good thing). Also the body is galvanized, so rust isn’t nearly as big a problem.

Good luck with it.

Never explored that forum before, but yes will do. Was reading old rennlist threads before I committed to this.
Thanks for the tip Theer.
jmitro
in my experience rennlist has a much larger forum and i've been active there since it was called "Porschelist"
Unobtanium-inc
We had one recently, it was a price I couldn't refuse $500, it's off to Belgium.

It was fun to drive.
DRPHIL914
my nephew has an 85 or 86, and his has about 65k miles on it. last week when I was up in MN his accessory belt snapped , we think because the AC clutch pulley froze up on him, he is lucky it was not the timing belt!!! change them all now is my advice. he has had a few small issues with it over the last year but love the car - and funny thing is even with all the classmates that have muscle cars etc he was voted to have the best car of his graduating class!! ( must have been the female voting that pushed it in his favor)!.

I was told by my mechanic when I was looking at a local one recently that they tend to have an issue with the #2 rod bearings(wait, that may just be the turbo models) and he suggested having that done before it became an issue, since the car had 75k miles- others here will have more information in that regard. But it looks like a nice car, I saw it on BAT as well, I think you did pretty good!

Enjoy
914dave
Glycol!!! We don’t need no stinking glycol!!! Hahaha Nick looks like a happy kid!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.