Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter bushing health question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bob's project
Hello all,

I am working through my shift linkage and trying to determine all that can be improved.

When I move my shift lever to engage 1st or reverse the shift lever lowers down about 1/16". My spidey senses tell me that this isn't proper although seemingly not harmful.

Can anyone comment if this is normal?

In the attached image I tried to capture the gap between the lever ball and the housing that gets created.

Thanks in advance,

BobClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
jacksun
The images look to be exactly the same, as if you posted the same image twice?
mepstein
Just replace all your bushings if you don’t know the last time they were done. Bushing only wear down and also get brittle and crack. They never get better with age. It’s cheap.
Mikey914
Hard to tell from the pic, but when all bushings are replaced, its pretty tight.
If late, id bet its the knuckle bushings specifically.

These -
https://shop.914rubber.com/searchquick-subm...ywords=Knuckle+

914Sixer
Taking the shiifter apart can be FUN. Springs are HIGH COMPRESSION and can be dangerous when they take off. You have to make a special tool to do the job. Not even sure if the parts are still available. Replace all the bushings first.
mepstein
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 3 2018, 10:54 AM) *

Taking the shiifter apart can be FUN. Springs are HIGH COMPRESSION and can be dangerous when they take off. You have to make a special tool to do the job. Not even sure if the parts are still available. Replace all the bushings first.

There was a write up about a month ago on how to refresh the shifter. You should wear safety glasses and leather gloves but if you hold the spring with a large pair of vise grips, it doesn't go anywhere.
bob's project
Thanks for all the replies.

I am not sure why two photos are showing up. But ideas the are the same.

I took a apart the shifter as I located the spring compressor I made over a decade ago to redo my 911 shifter. There does not appear to be any wear on the components that would obviousely cause my symtoms. I'll replace the ones on both sides if the spring that preloads the ball.

If someone knows if while engaging 1st or reverse it is common to see the lever drop about a 1/16" of an inch I would appreciate knowing.

And Mikey914 I'll be ordering those from you tomorrow but they aren't what is causing this specific issue.

914Sixer
Shifter lockout plate could be showing signs of wear. I understand they are still available because the 911 uses the same one.
Mikey914
Take a look at the kit its cheaper. At least if you are doing all.
bob's project
Thanks again for the replies. It is sure great to have this support.

There is no sign of wear on the lock out plate that would cause this motion. This would be wear on the pin bores.

It must be that this downward motion is acceptable to some extent. I just pulled the boot off my 911 and it does the same thing and it shifts perfectly.

Once I put this all back together with new bushings from Mikey this will never be an issue for the next 44 years on this car. Hopefully this thread will be of some use to someone someday.

Cheers,

Bob
rhodyguy
The lever is supported with a spring and 2 bushings. There's going to be some movement. That 1/16" is nothing to worry about if you can engage 1st and R cleanly.
kahluver
If you can find em, buy the brass bushings. I've done the oem and brass ones and the brass ones are much tighter and better.

bob's project
I have done a drawing for me to make a custom lower bushing. It will allow me to make take out the clearance should I desire to in the future.

My rear socket was essentially missing and the bushing at the transmission was quite loose. Once I change all the bushing from the firewall back I am sure my shifting is going to be so much better that this lever observation will be immediately forgotten. Maybe a project for a future winter. I suspect my shifter is within "spec". Hopefully this thread will work towards what this spec is?

Thanks All.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.