Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When you see this on the door jam, are the longs gone too?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Common spot, 911s suffer from this too. Repaired a similar section on the 911 but wanted to get some coaching on how far gone it usually is underneath when you see a Rhode Island size hole from the top.

If car is otherwise solid just part of the joys of 914 ownership? Right of passage?

Thanks!

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
YIKES!!!!!!!! sawzall-smiley.gif
Tom_T
That's the type where you jack up the car & splits in half! blink.gif

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
KELTY360
I’d plant a tree in there....and then move on.
mepstein
When the left side is that bad, the right side is usually worse.
The rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10%.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 3 2018, 05:28 PM) *
The rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10%.

Ain't that the truth!
icon8.gif
Chris H.
Wow that is bad for the drivers side. Look under the sill plate and see how far it goes. Does the passenger door open?
Tdskip
What a shame - the trunks are basically perfect and original paint everywhere still.

Parts car basically?

Thanks for the tutorial gentlemen.
Andyrew
Yes parts car or about 5k in repair on the cheap end for what's likely shown on that side.

Can't believe you found one that bad in Socal.
Tdskip
Yikes. $5k per side?
EdwardBlume
You don't really know until you know. Take the rockers off, look up into the sail panels, probe with an ice pick or screwdriver. The typical rust points are the battery tray, rear trunk, front trunk weatherstripping channel, rear floorboards, interior sail panels, jack posts, and longs.

Good luck. cheer.gif
mb911
Fixable. Don't cut it up. Here by us we would fix it.. They just don't make these cars any more and values are going up
Tdskip
Good morning - thanks for the thoughts.

Oddly the battery box and trunks and floors are all solid, car was stored for 25 years. I can only guess it was driven in a way where that area got damp and rust just did it’s thing.

Let me get some more pictures up.
PlantMan
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 4 2018, 04:09 AM) *

Fixable. Don't cut it up. Here by us we would fix it.. They just don't make these cars any more and values are going up

I agree. Pain in the ass to fix but in the 'long run' worth the price IMHO.
My car is a complete rust bucket but I have people walking up to my house offering me over twice what I paid for it a couple years ago...
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Jamie
With the manner of silt deposited in several of these images, I suspect this car has been flood damaged. After so many recent floods in many parts of the country I would expect to see some of these victims appear on the market in about any part of the country. sunglasses.gif
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
Click to view attachment
Tdskip
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 4 2018, 09:09 AM) *

With the manner of silt deposited in several of these images, I suspect this car has been flood damaged. After so many recent floods in many parts of the country I would expect to see some of these victims appear on the market in about any part of the country. sunglasses.gif

Hi, this was stored near Idaho for 25 years, so seems unlikely.

That said, if I didn’t know that it’d sure be thinking similar thoughts.

Looks like it needs at least 1/2 the longs on each side. Door gaps are good still, go figure.
JFG
From the pictures i'd say fix it. The gaps are good so it doesn't sound like the car has bent. Nice colour too.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jamie @ Jun 4 2018, 07:09 AM) *

agree.gif
SirAndy
Both longs plus a new floor pan plus at least parts of the firewall(s), center tunnel and suspension console(s).

If you think you can tackle that, go for it. But you better be good at welding cars.
shades.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2018, 01:04 PM) *

agree.gif

But flood damage, from the recent hurricanes, wouldn't act that fast...
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 4 2018, 11:08 AM) *

agree.gif

Doesn't have to be recent. I was agreeing with the flooded part though, looks like the car was submerged above the longs.

Either way, see my post above for what's needed to fix this properly.
welder.gif
Tdskip
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 4 2018, 01:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 4 2018, 11:08 AM) *

agree.gif

Doesn't have to be recent. I was agreeing with the flooded part though, looks like the car was submerged above the longs.

Either way, see my post above for what's needed to fix this properly.
welder.gif

Ah, fair point. Was thinking too narrowly, sorry.

That high a level of water wouldn’t do many positive things for the engine, exhaust or transmission either.

sholman5
Nice color is it Bahia red L30E or Malaga red L30C.
Tdskip
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jun 4 2018, 04:47 PM) *

Nice color is it Bahia red L30E or Malaga red L30C.

I think it is Malaga
Andyrew
Absolutely a parts car to me. Rust freeing chassis are still cheap enough to justify cutting this one up or simply passing on it.

Unless you want to be fixing rust for 3 years please pass on it. We want people to have good experiences with 914s, not bad ones smile.gif
Tdskip
Thanks

I did pass, put it in the FSW in case anyone here may have a use for it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.