Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
TravisNeff
That was just to test out if I could get the profile sharper. And yes, its off on the overall width

I ended up modifying the patch I previously made and got the edges a little more crisp. I am cleaning the hell out of the new and old metal as best I can. Wish me luck
bbrock
Love the allen wrenches in the panel clamps beer.gif
TravisNeff
It's in. No butt weld would be complete without being able to play musical stringers once your done.
bbrock
Well done!
TravisNeff
More work on this. I ended up having to weld the backside. Ground down and dealt with shrinkage of the joint. There are a couple of pinholes still, but I am going to quit while I am ahead and move onto something else. I'll come back to this later. Pretty happy with the results so far.
sixnotfour
well done...dead pedal?? slap.gif
TravisNeff
Yeah, yeah. I have so much OCD on the pedal that I am getting stagefright. Going to weld in the seat hinges next. I can then put in the driver seat and figure out the dead pedal.
TravisNeff
seat hinge mount thingies in place.
sixnotfour
smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
Finishing up the oil cooler setup. I cut the opening a little bigger and used some of these nifty weld nuts I got from RD. I am going to have to re-glass the top flange of the cooler duct. Someone cut it a little short when they made it.
sixnotfour
Fantastic....next....
TravisNeff
Are those two layers of steel with the grill in between? I can do it, but it won't look as pretty as that.
sixnotfour
yes, but does not have to be ...your style... smash.gif welder.gif
TravisNeff
Started with some 20g and will do two layers All the metal is cut up. Since I can't cut a straight line for the life of me I made the strips a little bit wider and it overlaps the oil cooler hole. I will will grind it down once all together. I Had the bottom piece cut but it tuned into a shitshow, will need to make a a template
defianty
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 2 2018, 03:20 AM) *

Started with some 20g and will do two layers All the metal is cut up. Since I can't cut a straight line for the life of me I made the strips a little bit wider and it overlaps the oil cooler hole. I will will grind it down once all together. I Had the bottom piece cut but it tuned into a shitshow, will need to make a a template

That's looking good, just how I started mine off. It's a fairly easy project that just takes time. When you consider what they cost to buy it's a rewarding task to complete yourself.

Here's mine for reference.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...10626&st=20
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...0626&st=100
TravisNeff
Thanks Stephen, now I remember seeing how one was built! I have to take note to look at your thread if I want to make something that i haven't done before and have it look good.

As soon as the coffee kicks in I will get back at it. I need to figure out grill material. I hope to find something that has some spine strength to it to keep its shape

defianty
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 2 2018, 02:13 PM) *

Thanks Stephen, now I remember seeing how one was built! I have to take note to look at your thread if I want to make something that i haven't done before and have it look good.

As soon as the coffee kicks in I will get back at it. I need to figure out grill material. I hope to find something that has some spine strength to it to keep its shape

Good luck! One part I found essential was the fold in the metal across the top. Without it the whole thing lacked any rigidity.
TravisNeff
Made some progress, only feel lukewarm about how it turned out. But I might change my mind after some more finishing.
TravisNeff
A little lunch time bendy session. One bend is a little off, will fix that when I cut out the center hole. Next up is a stretch and shrink session to match the radius of the front of the tub. I get the shrink and stretch backwards, lets hope I don't screw that up
bbrock
Dude! You are kicking this thing's butt! Fun to watch.
TravisNeff
stretch the top and shrink the bottom. It is close. will screw it down to the car and cut out the middle. My only fear here is that I have a bunch of tension built into the curve and once I get the inside free, it may be over bent

Thanks for the confidence vote Brent. Sixnotfour has spoken and I must obey laugh.gif
TravisNeff
How about them apples?

Really happy with this so far. The hole is very conservative, will cut to match the opening in the tub later. More fitting along the bottom is needed.
TravisNeff
This turned out great. Even my Bavarian Princess has approved.
defianty
Love the perseverance! Great job!
tygaboy
QUOTE(defianty @ Dec 4 2018, 01:16 AM) *

Love the perseverance! Great job!

agree.gif
It's always great to see the practice of "do it 'til it's done!"

Way to set the example.
TravisNeff
I appreciate the encouragement. You guys are tough to try to keep up with poke.gif

I ordered some mesh, based on Stephen's grill material from Pegasus

Coarse Mesh Stainless, #4 x.047 Wire, 18" x 24" Sheet
914forme
That should work just fine, keep going.
Larmo63
She looks so..........................................................enthused.
TravisNeff
She is supervising my progress. I better hurry up..
sixnotfour
new project ...keep her.....interested..
TravisNeff
Whipped up a dead pedal tonight. I did this similar to the factory GT part. A little fine tuning is needed and I'll weld up the corners & weld it to the tub. Getting the dynamat off the wheel well is an asspain.
TravisNeff
Well, looky here. This thing is tiny and featherweight. I got the same battery (i think) as Andyrew was using.
TravisNeff
Care package came from Pegasus racing, for the oil cooler grille (stainless). Now to figure out how to attach it to the mild steel frame. I have tried welding stainless to mild steel a long time ago, it wasn't pretty. I am thinking I can drill through the grille and just weld the mild steel front to the back. Can anyone offer some enlightenment?
mepstein
What about small tabs welded at each corner that hold in the screen without welding the screen to the frame.
TravisNeff
That would be the easy button Mark!
TravisNeff
No work on the car this week.

However, I got a set of used Cibie H4's off of a 924. I think they are the z beams. one says DOT and one does not - otherwise the pattern on the lenses looks identical. not sure what I have here, but the price was good.
Retroracer
Travis RE: GT oil cooler grille

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/oil_cooler_cov..._repro_finished

You may have seen this, but thought I'd post it on the thread anyway. This excellent set of photos document a real GT grille and a duplicate fabricated to match. Couple of points to note:

1) the grille material is not 'woven', it appears to be straight and just 'laid over'
2) the duplicate grille looks to have used epoxy or JB weld to secure the grille material to the frame

All this FYI. Keep posting on the build progress, BTW some great work in there!

- Tony
mb911
Travis the woven looks just fine. I was actually not going to run one at all but this has me thinking I might. From the pbase site it almost looks like it's staggered but maybe straight. Hard to tell..
TravisNeff
It does look straight on the pbase pictures, but I like the texture with the weave. Thanks for the link Tony! I have been poking around his site for ideas and totally missed this one. Ben, If I get this done in one shot I should have extra grill material, enough for one more and can send it to you gratis.
914forme
Z-beams look like these

Click to view attachment

Your set looks more like the standard H4 European pattern with the sharp cut and the kick up the right side. They make a huge difference over the standard sealed beam head lamp.
Larmo63
I used the engine lid screen on my front end.

But I'm a hacker. beer.gif

TravisNeff
QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 13 2018, 05:29 PM) *

Z-beams look like these

Click to view attachment

Your set looks more like the standard H4 European pattern with the sharp cut and the kick up the right side. They make a huge difference over the standard sealed beam head lamp.

I think you are right, they were just advertised as Cibie H4's. The ones I have have 19 & 47 on the glass and the top center vertical flutes have more flutes than your picture. I have Hella h4's and I think they are off a motorcycle - anyways they are chalked up/etched on the inside of the lenses. So it was time for a replacement and at $100.00 I don't think it was a bad deal.
TravisNeff
I have to quit buying shit laugh.gif 914-6 rear calipers with a fresh rebuild came in the mail today from another world member.
914forme
Yes it is very easy to do, lots of cool parts popping up. LOL I have my eye on a RSR speedo right now. Just not sure what they are worth. confused24.gif I guess is what ever I am willing to pay for it.

Nice find on the calipers, and you can't go wrong with the H4 upgrade either euro pattern or the legendary Z beams.

mb911
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 13 2018, 04:17 PM) *

It does look straight on the pbase pictures, but I like the texture with the weave. Thanks for the link Tony! I have been poking around his site for ideas and totally missed this one. Ben, If I get this done in one shot I should have extra grill material, enough for one more and can send it to you gratis.

Thanks.. I am still deciding on this.. Let me know when your done..
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2018, 08:08 PM) *

I'm hoping you add the grills to your product list.- hint hint biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
why torture yourself with venting clearance ??? 911 hand brake and cheep calis.......... wam bam pad changes
TravisNeff
I do have a set of SC rear calipers in good shape. Also a set of PMB redone 911 rear calipers with the spacers removed (just don't have the pins or spreaders). I saw the 914-6 calipers and couldn't resist.
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mb911 @ Dec 17 2018, 06:08 PM) *

Will get to this sometime later this week. I am tied up right now with other distractions.
sixnotfour
decisions,,decisions,,,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.