Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
mepstein
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Dec 17 2018, 10:00 PM) *

I do have a set of SC rear calipers in good shape. Also a set of PMB redone 911 rear calipers with the spacers removed (just don't have the pins or spreaders). I saw the 914-6 calipers and couldn't resist.

Can’t go wrong with 914-6 calipers. They bolt right on and use affordable 911T rotors.
TravisNeff
Grille is mostly done. I welded on a lip around the rear perimeter, sort of like an envelope. I am going to JB weld the corners of the mesh so it doesn't move around.

Ben, I'll ship out the leftover grille material next week.
sixnotfour
no glue , a few plug welds,,
914forme
I would use a spot welder, nice and easy, not a huge risk of blowing through. A spot of JB weld to fix the height of the dimples, it can be used as a body filler. Actually it is really good as a filler.

If plug welding do them on the back, penetrate to the front. Don't blow thru, back the front up with a heat sink. I have a big copper spoon I use for this, really helps at times.
TravisNeff
Done enough. I want to powder coat this, but there is some lines along the welds that I have ground down as far as I feel I can go. I am looking into filler that will withstand powder coat and has metal in it.

Not all things are perfect, on a couple plug welds I hit the stainless grill material and vaporized it. If you can't see it in the pics - good! Overall it turned out better than i thought I could do.

Now I gotta figure out the next mini project!
914 Ranch
Nice Travis...
mb911
@TravisNeff looks great.
TravisNeff
How about a GT lid? Sure why not.

I have a couple extra lids I picked up along the way. This one was from a 914 I towed backwards on a trailer. It was pretty exciting watching the rear trunk lid fly open while doing 70 and wrapping over the roof. So this one is a little bent up, like a metal taco. Perfect one to start with, seems Like I gotta do things 3 times to get it right.

I am going to try to replicate the center supports on the back instead of being one big whole. We'll see how it goes.
TravisNeff
Started bending of the flanges.The center supports looks like it will work.
IronHillRestorations
I have an engine lid I got years ago that was done really nicely. They cut the frame off of the skin, and then cut out the solid section and left about 1/2 border, and they had flattened out a piece of engine grill and put it in the cut out. I'll post a pic if I can get it out of the rafters
TravisNeff
I would love to see that.
Tdskip
Thanks for the update Travis, keen to see how this somes out.
mb911
Travis,

I forget if I documented my GT lid build.. I will see if I can find pictures or snap new ones.. I did mine a little different..
TravisNeff
Thanks Ben! I am shooting for a little bit different than just hogging out a hole.
TravisNeff
I did some image searching and found a grille that has the look I am after on this first lid.
Tdskip
Is that grill "just" pattern metal from Home Depot?
914forme
extra engine grill I think he said for GT style engine lid. Or are you talking about the inlet grill for the oil cooler, that was sourced from Pegasus. Which is very close to Ben
TravisNeff
The grille is just a spare 914 engine lid grille. There are a lot of these that use whatever mesh material they can find.

More bending of the flanges.

Hey, I still need to find a couple of flat boxes so I can send you and Ben some xmas packages smile.gif
914 Ranch
I used the grill from another cover for the upper part of the grill. I found that flatting out the edge flanges helps fitting it to the cover. Take the cup out of it.
I can't find a better picture and you have already seen this one.

Click to view attachment

Travis, I also flattened out the leading edge. Maybe I can get you a better picture.
TravisNeff
I am going to flatten out the mesh I have and re-bend to get the radius out of it. I'll also have to shrink it in a few spots, the mesh took a lot of damage
TravisNeff
inching along.
TravisNeff
Successfully lightened up the cross brace. I also ditched the mesh support tabs and will pin the back edge of the grille to the flange I made. Anyone know where to get weldable pins?
914forme
Do you have another engine grill, I would just cut them off and tack them on, and use the OEM push on retainers.

Or, you make the. Steel stock the size you need, grind a taper if you want to jazz them up a bit, and cut to size, use push on clips, or speed nuts.

The CSOB way, a couple of small machine screws and use some nuts, and loctite.
Tdskip
Good progress
mb911
Travis,

I stole this from my thread but this is my version. Click to view attachment
TravisNeff
Thanks for the pic Ben.

Hmm. Screw the pins, I weld the back grille in place! Also I see that the center supports should have more of a bow than what I have.
Larmo63
Nice progress on the engine lid., Travis.

I bought my lid from Sergio and bolted it on, I admire your ingenuity and skill.

Happy New Year!
TravisNeff
Thanks Lawrence. I had a couple of spare lids and had to give it a shot, plus I need something to do so i can stall getting the conversion done LOL.

Ready for media blast and powder coat.
Larmo63
Nice job for a beginner. smilie_pokal.gif

You're probably not going to run the letters?
TravisNeff
I am gonna have to learn how to spell if I do.
TravisNeff
TravisNeff
MotoringMan
Really nice work. Following
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 1 2019, 06:51 PM) *

TravisNeff
The adventures of bracket man..
914forme
Well Bracket man that is a super job
bbrock
Nice work Bracket Man! thumb3d.gif
Dion
Bracket Man, my hero! cheer.gif
Hey @TravisNeff I really like this set up.
Where did you obtain the filter? I also have the
PMO reg. & gauge. Will be using with Weber’s.
May I steal your idea. poke.gif
TravisNeff
@Dion

Absolutely! I got the filter from Summit and it wasn't a gazillion bucks.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-23006

My mount is right about at the crease in the fender well. I can get the canister off to replace the filter, just barely. I wanted to put it in the engine bay where the OE pump would go and then it would be a super easy R&R of the elements. But OCD set in and I started worrying about the engine bay heat and the aluminum being a heat sink.

The brackets were easy, I was trying to make a battery tray for my mini battery and bent it a little too short. I cut it in half and made 2 brackets out of the scrap, how lucky is that!
Dion
Thanks Travis. Keep up the great work.
TravisNeff
Time to start thinking about the dead pedal again. This has the right amount of ridiculous for me. I will need to cut off the rear attachment piece (it was made for a floor dimmer switch) and figure out how to mount it. It is not magnetic so i can't weld it on.
914forme
I like it, I would just counter bore two holes and just use machine screws to bolt it to you base.
TravisNeff
Followed your advice, I spotfaced the holes with a leftover milling bit, dished it with a large bit and then the hole for the screw shank. I am going to try to find some nuts that are mild steel instead of stainless so I can weld it to the back. Once the pedal is in place i wont be able to get back there again.

I also decided on going with my original oil line cover, it looks like hell because I am trying to fix up some of the screw ups.
914forme
rivet nuts would also work
TravisNeff
Did some more work on the dead pedal. Added more to the attachment flange, drilled and belled a big huge hole in the side and filled in the top with some sheet metal.
914forme
Bottom open I hope? That would be my suggestion just to keep it from trapping crap in cavity via the hole.

I do like it, just odd enough to make me biggrin.gif
TravisNeff
Yes bottom open, top closed.
bbrock
Hmm... something's missing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1dCAQfkqyA
TravisNeff
Rebuilt the front of the passenger torque box, it was rotted through both layers of metal. I was able to save the outer flanged piece, that was the only part not rusted.
TravisNeff
Time to revisit one of the first repairs I did. I have been hiding this ugly from all of you for a while - but here it is.

Well, when I put the trunk floor In I had to pull in the back panel in a good 3/4 of an inch along the center. While this will be covered by the bumper, I need to try and fix it a little better. I think I need to cut a slit in the back of the trunk floor and get the back panel flat again then stitch in metal along the cut.

I had to patch the back panel too as it was pitted through in a couple of spots. A long long time ago the rear panel and the passenger quarter were replaced with factory parts I think (red oxide primer on the backs on them). The panel has some crinkles in it too, time to remove some paint and figure out what's what.

bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 26 2019, 08:12 AM) *

Time to revisit one of the first repairs I did. I have been hiding this ugly from all of you for a while - but here it is.

I have a couple of those spots hiding behind my rotisserie mounts too. popcorn[1].gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.