Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Travis' 72 914-6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Tdskip
Look at all that unused shelving, someone quick get that man two or three more projects!
TravisNeff
Paint removed. Found some more rust and the backing plate didn't have any primer on it. I am thinking that the whole panel needs to come out. Something is not right with the inward bow where the trunk floor meets the back panel.

Plus I am not sure how to get to the drivers side damage and fix.
TravisNeff
What an asspain!.I win..
TravisNeff
I could only get so far with straightening this side panel. not much access for a dolly. I cheated and used a torch to heat it up before I could beat it sorta back into shape. There was a few spots of braze and sure enough it was for some holes. This corner piece is shot.

So after all that, I cut out the corner and will have to make a replacement piece. It will be a challenge because of the curve.
sixnotfour
first.gif
mb911
That is one tough spot to fab a part for. I always have considered just buying the entire back piece from restoration design for my car.. Though mine worked our pretty nicely..
mepstein
914sixer sent me a part from a car he's cutting up. Maybe give him a PM.
@914sixer
TravisNeff
Kicking ass this morning, el fabricato
TravisNeff
Couple of pinholes and I have to trim the side to fit, other than that I am VERY happy how this turned out.
bbrock
Whoa! pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
Tdskip
Nice!
Dion
Great work Travis.
914forme
exceptional work Travis, if you look back over the thread you can see your progression on skills. It is really neat to see.
worn
QUOTE(bbrock @ Jan 26 2019, 07:41 AM) *

QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 26 2019, 08:12 AM) *

Time to revisit one of the first repairs I did. I have been hiding this ugly from all of you for a while - but here it is.

I have a couple of those spots hiding behind my rotisserie mounts too. popcorn[1].gif

agree.gif
But the paint is already on. I admire your persistence. Truly good work
worn
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Jan 27 2019, 10:16 AM) *

Couple of pinholes and I have to trim the side to fit, other than that I am VERY happy how this turned out.

Wow! And I have the same screw driver. Reflected glory. Unfortunately the rear is where the cars get hit a lot. Your car is fortunate.
TravisNeff
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I am either getting lucky or I am getting better.

Anyways. I was looking at the rear corners of the inner rear trunk. On the drivers side, there is a crease that almost looks factory. On the passenger side it does not have the same crease. It is a small thing and I wouldnt really worry about it - but I have access now.

The car always looked high on the passenger side rear even though the height from the rear jacking donuts were even from side to side. What do you all think. I am adding a pic from Cairo's car, you can clearly see this rear corner does not have the crease.
TravisNeff
I cut out the patches I put in and am starting over. found more rust and had to patch the bumper mount portion. Don't have a drill bit bit enough for the hole and my holesaws are too big. I will get to that later. Passenger side is done, driver side is next.
TravisNeff
Other side patched in. Have a little more hammer and dolly work and final sanding. At least its not all warped to hell like the last attempt!
ChrisFoley
Looks good.
When you're reattaching that panel, don't forget to test fit the rear bumper and check that the curvature matches before you weld it in solid.
defianty
QUOTE(ChrisFoley @ Feb 8 2019, 06:00 PM) *

Looks good.
When you're reattaching that panel, don't forget to test fit the rear bumper and check that the curvature matches before you weld it in solid.

agree.gif And the trunk lid too!

Coming along well Travis.
TravisNeff
Was just thinking that same thing, it's close!
TravisNeff
A little metal work was needed along the bottom edge, it wants to flip outward. Getting closer though.
Tdskip
Thanks for the updates. Time, time, time, it all takes time.

Oh, and you are most certainly getting better.

:-)
TravisNeff
Thanks TDSkip!

Farted around with the shrinker and it is close enough. Burned into place.
mb911
Travis maybe I missed this but that looks like 75,76 replacement right rear 1/4 ?
TravisNeff
QUOTE(mb911 @ Feb 10 2019, 06:46 PM) *

Travis maybe I missed this but that looks like 75,76 replacement right rear 1/4 ?

Yep Passenger quarter and rear panel had been replaced in a previous life. Gotta get that flange off while I am screwing around back there
TravisNeff
Well I got rid of that 75-76 rear bumper flange lol-2.gif
Dion
Really nice progress. I do love those green rims with the silver... something about it...very cool. :-)
sixnotfour
Well I got rid of that 75-76 rear bumper flange lol-2.gif

Awesome aktion035.gif popcorn[1].gif
TravisNeff
Next up is fixing that door gap, they got the panel on all screwy. Its all brazed on and the went a little short so the gap is wide. Door closes great though! Anyways I got the bottom section fixed up and now moving onto the top side. I should have cut the whole thing out to make it easier. Oh well. Picturs later
TravisNeff
You cannot leave me unsupervised. I noticed that the rear quarter next to the engine grille was sticking out a good 5mm more than the drivers side. So i drilled out most all the spot welds along the top and was able to get the panel close. However, the sail did not want to budge, there was something in the way.

Off comes the sail panel. When they repaired the car they left the flange on the roll bar piece, the old quarter panel and welded the new one on top. While they were digging around they cut and bent the roll bar structure out of the way. So I found that the bottom horizontal reinforcement piece was bent up in the back and that was causing my problem. I heated it up with a torch and beat the fucker back to where it should be.

Then Noticed the front horizontal reinforcement was cut and bent all to shit, so I made a new piece and welded it in.

No to figure out how to make the rear of the roll bar piece. I tried last night and it didn't turn out. I think I will have to make it in two pieces and weld it together.
TravisNeff
I got the rear part of the roll bar piece in and welded back on the sail. Will share a pic of that later.

Anyways, take a look at the passenger top of the door jamb. Lots of braze and the metal is like tin foil. I will have most likely cut it out and fab up a new piece, as it will just blow apart if I try to weld it.

So I was there scratching my head and figured I would take a look at how the drivers side was done and I would have a good reference. Well, what do you know. LOTS of bondo! Lessee what's under it? Ugh.
bbrock
Was the braze around the air vent tubes? If so, you can thank the factory for that. Makes it a pain to work in that area, but makes sense that they did it that way.
TravisNeff
Drivers side door jamb had been replaced with a used. they lap/seam welded it on with braze. If they had it in nice and straight I would leave it be. but was done poorly and either I bondo bomb it like before or try and make it right. The door jamb was rust bubbling in a couple of spots where the quarter panel met the jamb, so the problem will come back if I don't get them apart and take care of it. Not sure about the snorkel.

I guess I am going to have learn a few new skills LOL.
bbrock
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Mar 8 2019, 10:09 PM) *

Drivers side door jamb had been replaced with a used. they lap/seam welded it on with braze. If they had it in nice and straight I would leave it be. but was done poorly and either I bondo bomb it like before or try and make it right. The door jamb was rust bubbling in a couple of spots where the quarter panel met the jamb, so the problem will come back if I don't get them apart and take care of it. Not sure about the snorkel.

I guess I am going to have learn a few new skills LOL.

Oh yuck! In a way, I was lucky mine were too far gone to save and had to replace with new RD pieces. One thing is for certain, it will be done right when you are finished with it. smilie_pokal.gif
TravisNeff
I didn't realize that RD made these pieces. More exploring tomorrow that may be the route to go on both sides.
Tdskip
I've become a bit fan of buying pre-shaped panels, even if they need tweaking they are usually 1/4 the time/effort of hand making everything.
TravisNeff
I figured I would take the paint off the edges of the quarters and doors. There was a weird angle on the front quarter. Pieces were rusty and the patch was junk. Looks like the drivers sail was replaced too. 1/4 of bondo to cover the welds.

Spent the morning fabbing parts

TravisNeff
Continuing to chip away at small stuff, but was distracted this past weekend.

My Daughter finally got her drivers license and I am a proud dad! The drivers exam person said in the few years she has been working there, only two people did the test with a manual trans. Ye-uh!

Anyways I worked on polishing up the paint and tending to the little details on her new ride. I hope she gets bored of it and wants a different car, I am ready to scoop this up from her when that day comes smile.gif
TravisNeff
Picked up a new ride. 2006 gto with 44k miles. Got it from my dad and drove it down from Bellingham over the weekend. Vroom!
Tdskip
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Apr 15 2019, 10:00 AM) *

Picked up a new ride. 2006 gto with 44k miles. Got it from my dad and drove it down from Bellingham over the weekend. Vroom!

Score!

I think these are WAY underappreciated.
Ferg
Nice GTO, I had an 06 for a while. Loved it, my neighbors not so much, it was not stock. laugh.gif
TravisNeff
Been busy with life and other never ending projects. Anyways, I got the car back onto the ground and hopefully gives me a little more inspiration to move forward.

I am replacing the passenger door jam, and have to figure out how to massage the door gaps at the back of the door before I weld it in. The passenger side gap is about 10mm at the top. The lockplate is at 1039mm as it should be.

I have a feeling there is more massaging to do on the rear quarter. I hope I don't have to cut it. This has always been a problem on this car, the rear quarter was replaced at some point and they didn't get it right.
JOEPROPER
Slow and steady wins the race. beer3.gif
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(TravisNeff @ Nov 3 2019, 12:17 PM) *

Been busy with life and other never ending projects. Anyways, I got the car back onto the ground and hopefully gives me a little more inspiration to move forward.

I am replacing the passenger door jam, and have to figure out how to massage the door gaps at the back of the door before I weld it in. The passenger side gap is about 10mm at the top. The lockplate is at 1039mm as it should be.

I have a feeling there is more massaging to do on the rear quarter. I hope I don't have to cut it. This has always been a problem on this car, the rear quarter was replaced at some point and they didn't get it right.

All I hear is blah blah blah (but damn, what ABOUT those green-centered Fuchs on a gray car wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif) blah blah blah...

Ah yes, and another thought occurred earlier: That E39 will forever ruin your daughter for sport sedans. Those were brilliant when new, particularly when equipped with the Sport Package but all of the 525/528/530s were great to driveā€”to the point you had to wonder if anyone could exceed their balance.

And, all these years later, I am not sure anyone has.

Now back to your regularly scheduled bodywork. I may need to send my 914 your way, as a thrice-fixed rust spot on one fender continues to react/bubble forth. I admire your thoroughness...
rhodyguy
Those Holdens are dandy cars.
TravisNeff
The cutting continues. Turns out the sail panel on the drivers side was replaced at some point. They didn't do a butt weld, but a lap weld and left a good half inch of the sail behind the fender.

I cut through the weld and pulled out the excess metal and will be able to butt weld the joint. To make that fit the way they did, the fender line is a bit lower than the top of the door. I am hoping to get the shape back a little better.

At the back of that joint was some seriously jacked up metal, cut that out and made a patch for it. Put a new door jamb in and tacked it to the body.
Tdskip
Thanks for the update(s). Nice work.
pete-stevers
Great looking project!!! piratenanner.gif
TravisNeff
Frankensteined. I haven't welded in a lotta months, we will see how this looks once ground down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.