Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74/2.0 Clutch Adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vitaminc914
I am getting a little grinding when I try to go into reverse. I think my clutch needs some adjusting. I tried to find a good tutorial on Youtube but no luck or I didn't search correctly. If anyone on here has a link to a good video or a pictorial, please send it my way. I have a Hanes manual, but I find videos to be easier for me to understand.

Thanks!
bdstone914
How much free play is in the pedal? Should be no more than 1 inch. Does not sound like an adjustment. If you wait a few seconds after depressing the pedal to shift to reverse does it still make the grinding sound ?
Tighten the two nuts on the clutch cable a the transmission until excess free play is removed.
vitaminc914
There is about an inch of free play and I don't remember ever having any free play in the past. It does make the sound even after waiting a few seconds with the clutch pedal depressed. I will take a look at the nuts on the clutch cable.

QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jun 5 2018, 08:49 AM) *

How much free play is in the pedal? Should be no more than 1 inch. Does not sound like an adjustment. If you wait a few seconds after depressing the pedal to shift to reverse does it still make the grinding sound ?
Tighten the two nuts on the clutch cable a the transmission until excess free play is removed.

euro911
Long, cheesy video, but skip close to the end to see the adjustment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/vlniyILtRMM
vitaminc914
I was able to get it fixed. I just turned the 11mm nut inward towards the rear of the car about 1/4 inch and that did it. Shifting perfectly again.

QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 5 2018, 03:12 PM) *

Long, cheesy video, but skip close to the end to see the adjustment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/vlniyILtRMM

euro911
QUOTE(vitaminc914 @ Jun 5 2018, 06:01 PM) *
I was able to get it fixed. I just turned the 11mm nut inward towards the rear of the car about 1/4 inch and that did it. Shifting perfectly again.
11mm nut (should be two 11mm nutS) ... the second nut locks up against the first one to help assure it doesn't inadvertently come loose.

If you find it necessary to adjust the cable often, it's a sign that it just might be time for a whole new cable idea.gif
Dr Evil
Click in my sig below for my 31 pages of notes. I have instructions, work up, and diagrams to help with this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.