Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Brake Piston Retaining Clips
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aggiezig
Quick, easy question. This is my first time working with 914 calipers so these retaining clips are throwing me off. Which way do these clips get installed in the caliper? Four pegs in to the piston (push them on) or four pegs out towards the pad?

IPB Image

IPB Image

Also, there appears to be a "left" and "right" clip. Which way should these be installed in the caliper? I found a diagram on Pelican's site but it only shows the clip on one half of the caliper.

Thanks in advance
jcd914
You should have 4 clips, 2 for each caliper.
The tabs push into the caliper piston and the angled edge fits the angled cut in the piston.
When calipers are assembled and installed the clips need to mirror each other on the calipers and the clips go toward the leading edge of the brake pads.

The clip and piston you picture is correct for a rotor with a clockwise rotation when the car is moving forward.

I'm sorry that is not a great description but I don't know which caliper halve you are picturing so I don't know how to describe it better.

The angled cut in the pistons is to reduce the pressure on the leading edge of the brake pads, so the pads wear evenly. The normal braking force would otherwise cause the pads to cant slightly in the caliper and wear at an angle.

Jim

aggiezig
Thanks, Jim. As clear as mud! biggrin.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.