Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Italian Members Here
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
I'll be in Rome 8,9,10 July. Maybe throw down a few cold beers and talk 914's. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2018, 07:48 AM) *

I'll be in Rome 8,9,10 July. Maybe throw down a few cold beers and talk 914's. beerchug.gif

My man Kent. Have a beer for me...July 9th is my birthday. beer.gif
So I'm told I have family in Velletri south east of Rome.

Suckers never invite me!!!!!

Oscar
76-914
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jun 7 2018, 11:39 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2018, 07:48 AM) *

My man Kent. Have a beer for me...July 9th is my birthday. beer.gif
So I'm told I have family in Velletri south east of Rome.

Suckers never invite me!!!!!

Oscar

LOL. That ain't the best place for Beer, ya know. Wine, yes. Might cross the big creek & check out some of the Craft Breweries in Croatia. drunk.gif Felice compleaƱos, Oscar. beerchug.gif
Andyrew
Get your walking shoes ready! I think we walked 10 miles each day we were in Rome.

Watch out for pan handlers, street merchants, and women in front of churches.

Do the hop on hop off bus. By far the best way to get around, however you can pretty much walk anywhere..

The tap water is very clean so bring a water bottle to fill up or buy a couple when you get there and fill it up. There are amazing phone apps for the city for finding water as well as listening to history narratives as you walk around. Bring spare phone batteries or a large portable charger. Don't forget your Europe outlet converter.

You can call me for more info but I'll probably just hand the phone to my wife. As her Rome itinerary was probably 50 pages long.
914forme
It will be hot in July, really hot. Go out early in the morning, eat lunch and do like take time off in the heat of the afternoon. Look for a local guide, you can hire. private guides, they can get you into places you can not go, and get you past the lines. Try to stay with small tour as the extra fee to be in a small group is worth the investment.

Walking shoes are a must, with good grippy soles. The marble is old and now polished to a slick surface, so they can be very dangerous. Many of the staircases do not have hand rails. Surfaces are uneven also.

Just keep your head on your shoulders be aware of your surroundings and people around you. Have your wife invest in a PacSafe purse, don't carry anything you would not want to loose. We switched my wife's rings and earrings over to the low cost costume stuff. She did not care if they where lost, and I did not care either.

Umberallas make a nice shade for where there is not shade. Water is safe to drink, but bottle mineral water is cheap and taste better. It will be listed as still, sparkling has bubbles and if you don't like carbonated water you might be in for a rude drink.

Big backpacks are not allowed in lots of the venues, and will be searched. Pack light for your tours.

If going to regions sights, shoulders and knees have to be covered so no boy shorts Kent av-943.gif

Watch where you take photos, lots of military and they don't take Kindly to photos being taken of them. shades.gif They have the right to destroy your camera footage. In some cases that means they will destroy your phone, or digital camera.

Hop on and Offs are a great way to get around.

My order of visitation would be Vatican and all its glorious chapels, you will need to be covered for this shoulders, and pants bellow the knees. Check with the guide to see what is being allowed. Then the coliseum, then do the ruins, then everything else.

In the corporate world we send people over with burner phones and laptops. I have been using older iPhones and ChromeBooks. When they get back, I literally toss them into a wood chipper. It is fun for me and I don't worry about the carp they might have picked up while outside the US.

Enjoy the trip it is a great place to see.
76-914
All good tips Gentlemen. Upper 80's ain't bad if your in the shade. Rome used to be the Capitol of Pick Pockets. Don't know if that still holds but I'm wearing pants and shorts w/ velcro pockets. Hell, even I can't get my billfold out of those clothes. This trip is on my wife's Bucket list. It was either this or the Super Bowl. This is less and lasts about 285 hours longer. If I made the plans we'd been in northern Italy running the Alps in a rental and checking out the Breweries. I'm buying some of those 3/4 Euro style pants so I should be OK for the Papal Visit. I am kind of excited about the cooking class that I'm attending. I did see that 914's-4 were going for 35,000 Euros and up. poke.gif Andrew, did you really drink water while you were on vacation? happy11.gif
Andyrew
We did backpacks and I would do it that way (without kids) in a heartbeat.

My favorite clothes for the weather was moisture wicking shirts and super thin khacki moisture wicking zip off pants. We would have quick dry underwear and would wash everything in the sink with little tablets every night and dry them during the sleep or during the day. Made for extremely light packing, we smelled decent, and we're comfortable.

Note we were gone for 2 weeks through Rome, Venice, tuscany(Favorite), almalphi coast, Munich, Nurburgring, and finally Paris. Never more than 2 nights at a place and saw a shit ton.
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2018, 08:55 PM) *
Andrew, did you really drink water while you were on vacation? happy11.gif

Walked like 50 miles a week.. you can bet we drank water. Fair share of beer and wine at meals but we drank in the day. Rome was the only place we drank tap, locals and all the virtual guides (again, highly recommend) all said to do so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.