Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: For you, used to US speed limits...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
Earlier today...

200+ mls/hr with a GT2 RS
76-914
We already have that............. av-943.gif https://www.facebook.com/robert.seibert.98/...12797121750549/
horizontally-opposed
Been up to those speeds several times...and don't need to do it again. A 914 on a back road or race track at 30-120~ mph is infinitely more fun...at least to me. Some folks get a HUGE thrill out of the high speed stuff—and there's nothing wrong with that!!!—but my sense is there's a good bet most don't or won't. Kinda neat to do once or twice, but you soon realize there is very little skill involved, and thus not much in the way of reward—just huge risk. All it takes is good vision (hopefully....) + guts to hold the throttle down. High-speed corners make it a bit more interesting, but bump the risk factor even higher.

I do admire people who go after closed-course top speed records, though—much in the way I admire those who climb mountains because they're there and the climb represents human or personal achievement.
mgp4591
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 7 2018, 01:52 PM) *

That's wild - almost sounds like the engine is idling along at those high speeds! w00t.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Jun 7 2018, 06:28 PM) *

Been up to those speeds several times...and don't need to do it again. A 914 on a back road or race track at 30-120~ mph is infinitely more fun...at least to me. Some folks get a HUGE thrill out of the high speed stuff—and there's nothing wrong with that!!!—but my sense is there's a good bet most don't or won't. Kinda neat to do once or twice, but you soon realize there is very little skill involved, and thus not much in the way of reward—just huge risk. All it takes is good vision (hopefully....) + guts to hold the throttle down. High-speed corners make it a bit more interesting, but bump the risk factor even higher.

I do admire people who go after closed-course top speed records, though—much in the way I admire those who climb mountains because they're there and the climb represents human or personal achievement.

I agree. Almost no skill involved with making sure the wheel stays top center. Being used to US highways and freeways, the nerve wracking thing would be 'trusting' lane discipline from the others on the highway. Even with the legendary German driving discipline, I notice he lifts some when overtaking. Being from the US, I would expect those trucks would see me and just pull out anyway the way they do here.

Take it to the Nurbergring. That is what the car is made for. I don't see the point in top speed runs, especially on public roads. Kind of like drag racing. What for? Let's see, I put my foot down and hold it down until I get to the end. blink.gif
flmont
would be fun once,..But who could trust OTHER drivers not to pull out in front of you at those speeds..Game Over at that point for sure
914forme
Just got back from Germany.

Drove the AutoBahn and loved it. People where very good about moving over, and noticing what was running up on the fast side. It is really not an issue to travel at speed. Everyone is very respectful of their driving and very considerate about faster moving vehicles. Their is no ego or pissing matches going on. Very relaxing. Drove from Munich to Stuttgart in 1:15. It is 235 KM distance. It was early in the morning, lite traffic, all drivers played well together. Even on the drive back it was a holiday weekend in Germany, things went very well, took a bit over 2 hours to get back to Munich, but made it with out issue, and with out frustration.

I was driving an S class Benz, speed limited to 250KM, and yes I had it up there. Loved the car, roads are so much better than the US roads. When the roads are unsafe for high speeds they do have limits. If you never driven the AutoBahn and experience German driving you are missing out.

BTW. I was passed by a Panamera Turbo, a GT3RS, and a McLaren 720S like I was standing still, I was doing 220 clicks at that point. If there was some Range Rovers around with the boot up and a camera crew I would have figured it was the Top Gear boys out having some fun. It was just a group of guys out on Holiday.

Also was at Monaco for the F1 race and qualifying. No I am not that rich, just great timing on my part, and lots of luck. Once in a life time event for me, Monaco is way to expensive for my blood.
914Sixer
In 1970, I had a 1967 911S to run on the autobahn. I was cruising at 200 kph (125 mph) in the fast lane and thought I was bad ass. Looked in the rear view mirror and saw flashing lights, so I had to get over. A Ferrari cruised right by me.
76-914
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 7 2018, 07:19 PM) *

Just got back from Germany.

Also was at Monaco for the F1 race and qualifying. No I am not that rich, just great timing on my part, and lots of luck. Once in a life time event for me, Monaco is way to expensive for my blood.

Green with envy. beerchug.gif
thieuster
roads are so much better than the US roads. When the roads are unsafe for high speeds they do have limits. If you never driven the AutoBahn and experience German driving you are missing out.

What's interesting in Germany: large parts have no speed limit. But when there actually is one, all driver are very disciplined. Near large cities, the speed limit can vary between 90 and 110 kms/hr. They call it 'Laermschutz' (Noise reduction)

Current opinion about the Autobahn here in Europe is that the road surface isn't what it used to be! Perhaps that is why large stretches of the Autobahn are currently known as 'Baustelle' (building sites). The Dutch, French and even Italian roads are much better, especially the French from north to south on the east side of the country (Nancy - Lyon - Marseille). The so-called Route du Soleil (Road to the Sun).

Some info here: French speed limits are intelligently enforced. There are portals across the roads with LED and matrix signals. When speeding, your license plate # appears on those billboards, asking you politely to cool it. If not, then you're pulled over within a km or so. It works. French Gendarmerie is a force to reckon with... It's easy: 130 km/hr on the left lane for overtaking, 110 km/hr on the middle lane(s) for smaller vans and cars with trailers and 90 kms hr on the right lane (trucks).

When going to Switzerland or Italy, I prefer to take the 100 km longer route through France.

And then there are the Swiss roads... smooooooooth, silky-style asphalt, maintained like an Omega watch. Frost damage? When the ice melts, all is repaired. Come April, May and all is smooth again. The road signs in two colors: green (US style) for directions on the motorways, blue for the exits to other roads and towns. And if you're colourblind? The font of the writing on the boards is different as well!
horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(thieuster @ Jun 7 2018, 10:45 PM) *

roads are so much better than the US roads. When the roads are unsafe for high speeds they do have limits. If you never driven the AutoBahn and experience German driving you are missing out.

What's interesting in Germany: large parts have no speed limit. But when there actually is one, all driver are very disciplined. Near large cities, the speed limit can vary between 90 and 110 kms/hr. They call it 'Laermschutz' (Noise reduction)

Current opinion about the Autobahn here in Europe is that the road surface isn't what it used to be! Perhaps that is why large stretches of the Autobahn are currently known as 'Baustelle' (building sites). The Dutch, French and even Italian roads are much better, especially the French from north to south on the east side of the country (Nancy - Lyon - Marseille). The so-called Route du Soleil (Road to the Sun).

Some info here: French speed limits are intelligently enforced. There are portals across the roads with LED and matrix signals. When speeding, your license plate # appears on those billboards, asking you politely to cool it. If not, then you're pulled over within a km or so. It works. French Gendarmerie is a force to reckon with... It's easy: 130 km/hr on the left lane for overtaking, 110 km/hr on the middle lane(s) for smaller vans and cars with trailers and 90 kms hr on the right lane (trucks).

When going to Switzerland or Italy, I prefer to take the 100 km longer route through France.

And then there are the Swiss roads... smooooooooth, silky-style asphalt, maintained like an Omega watch. Frost damage? When the ice melts, all is repaired. Come April, May and all is smooth again. The road signs in two colors: green (US style) for directions on the motorways, blue for the exits to other roads and towns. And if you're colourblind? The font of the writing on the boards is different as well!

Best sum-up of European roads I've ever seen. Just the right amount of fact and interpretation to be useful. Fully agree on German roads not being what they were 5-10 years ago, or more, but they are still vastly superior to ours.

And those French hints will be useful. Someone is crazy enough to ask a friend and me to drive his Euro-delivery GT2 RS (of all things, given this thread) back to Stuttgart from Le Mans week after next.

It ain't gonna be easy to stay out of that beast....

beerchug.gif

pete
scott_in_nh
I recently got back from a week in Germany too.

Shared 1500 miles of driving with my colleague, much on the autobahn where I drove 120 mph+ for many miles.

While it is great for cutting travel time, it was nowhere near as fun as renting a BMW R1200R and going for a relatively low speed run in the Black Forest with Friends!
whitetwinturbo
...........and don't think about how exciting it gets when one of the tires blows out blink.gif
horizontally-opposed
^ Good point.

otoh, will say 177.865 mph on dirt was exciting, correcting mild oversteer from 140 mph on up...
Mueller
Never drove in Germany while there, I did enjoy driving in France from Paris to Deuvulle(sp?)

Was lucky since I know I went over the posted limit quite a few times.
RickS
Drove the unlimited section of the Autobahn 2 years ago and cruising at 110MPH was a good time.

However, driving the narrow endless curvey backroads of Southern France was insane. The locals knew the roads and drove fast. I drove like a mad man and two time out of three I had a faster local on my tail. Having driven 10 years of pretty crazy fast R Gruppe drives, I was glad to have a bit of skill and I needed every bit of that to keep the pace. Cops were non-existent. People there drive damn fast limits be damned. And it was great fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.