Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Moving a complete engine without a lift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tdskip
Picking up a complete 2.0l on Saturday but won't have access to a hoist.

Is there a best way to move/ lift it without damaging the engine?

Thanks!
mepstein
250 lbs. 2 guys, leather gloves. Done.

I’m not being sarcastic. I did a six with three guys at hershey and I’m not a very strong or big guy.
mb911
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2018, 05:18 PM) *

2 guys, leather gloves. Done.

agree.gif

And I am the guy with a bad back.. 4cyl I assume?
Rand
It's like the guys who ask for a special tool to adjust your front trunk springs to the next notch. Just put on your welding gloves and get it done in seconds. (Or pick some up and call a man friend.)

Just ribbing in some reality, no offense intended. Bring a buddy, git-r-done. Do a couple of extra lifts just before putting it into the truck to get the biceps extra pumped. ;P There's no way two guys lifting a 2.0 can harm it where you could hold onto some weight. You aren't lifting it by the spark plug wires. Get under the jugs and lift.
iankarr
Just avoid lifting it from the ends of the heat exchangers (if attached and not braced against the trans). The leverage / torque against the exhaust ports at the heads wouldn’t be good for it.
bigkensteele
Do some 12 oz curls beforehand to warm up.
Rand
Just to clarify, you aren't talking about a full drive train with heat exchangers and transmission, right? That would take some extra care.
Tdskip
QUOTE(cuddy_k @ Jun 7 2018, 08:55 PM) *

Just avoid lifting it from the ends of the heat exchangers (if attached and not braced against the trans). The leverage / torque against the exhaust ports at the heads wouldn’t be good for it.

Thanks - so we will pick it up with this in mind.
Tdskip
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2018, 09:20 PM) *

Just to clarify, you aren't talking about a full drive train with heat exchangers and transmission, right? That would take some extra care.

Correct - "just" the engine.
Rand
What's your carry rig? One man could drag it up a ramp into the back of a pickup. I guess point being, don't fear it, own it! smile.gif

You got this bro! Show us pics when you have it. beerchug.gif
Literati914
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2018, 09:40 PM) *

What's your carry rig? One man could drag it up a ramp into the back of a pickup.

This.. but get someone to help load it on a furniture dolly (a 4x4 under each set of jugs, straps) if you can.. That way you can easily maneuver it to the ramp (a strong aluminum ramp, not a wooden plank!), and the wooden frame of the dolly will slide pretty easily along the ramp (wheels dangling at the sides). Loading/Unloading is easy, then it's on a dolly to roll anywhere you like.

I did this but into the back of a Volvo XC70 wagon!
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Jun 7 2018, 06:57 PM) *

Do some 12 oz curls beforehand to warm up.

av-943.gif
thelogo
Its a /4 man WTF.gif

lol-2.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(Tdskip @ Jun 7 2018, 06:16 PM) *

Picking up a complete 2.0l on Saturday but won't have access to a hoist.

Is there a best way to move/ lift it without damaging the engine?

Thanks!

I have removed, moved and loaded into a van several engines in Pick a part yards alone.
Get a 2x 4 or big pipe about 6 feet long. Use either old seat belts or rope to make two big loops about 3 feet in diameter. Run the loops around the intake runners. Run the pipe or 2x 4 thru the loops. Two people lift it up and carry with it on your shoulders.
Maybe a third person to steady the engine and prep where it is getting set down.

Or load onto a furniture dolly or other devise with wheels.

Or single person use a hand dolly starting with the engine sitting on the flywheel.
Make sure the oil is drained. Use a straps or rope tying the engine runners to the hand truck. Easy peasy.
No U Tube video available.
Rand
Great ideas Bruce. When I was a kid, I helped my dad move his machine shop. He moved massive machinery onto a tilt bed trailer he built by winching it along over pipes. My contribution was moving the last piece of pipe from the back to the front. biggrin.gif But that little job taught me a lot.

Ingenuity first.... unless you and a buddy can do it by yourselves and enjoy a refreshment after. beerchug.gif
Unobtanium-inc
Get a Big John!
thelogo
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 7 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Get a Big John!

No way ,is this guy an american ninja warrior or what
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 7 2018, 09:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 7 2018, 09:24 PM) *

Get a Big John!

No way ,is this guy an american ninja warrior or what

He does gearboxes too!
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2018, 09:18 PM) *

I’m not being sarcastic. I did a six with three guys at hershey and I’m not a very strong or big guy.

Scotty B and I loaded a 6 (with carbs, air cleaner, etc.) in the back of my truck by ourselves. They are heavy...but it can be done.
JOEPROPER
It's not that heavy. Grab a friend and pick it up.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 7 2018, 08:19 PM) *

What's your carry rig? One man could drag it up a ramp into the back of a pickup.

This.. but get someone to help load it on a furniture dolly (a 4x4 under each set of jugs, straps) if you can.. That way you can easily maneuver it to the ramp (a strong aluminum ramp, not a wooden plank!), and the wooden frame of the dolly will slide pretty easily along the ramp (wheels dangling at the sides). Loading/Unloading is easy, then it's on a dolly to roll anywhere you like.

agree.gif

Harbor Fright has their bigger base 1000 lb. furniture dollies on sale for about $8 all the time, but watch out for the attached items if not a stripped core.

BTW - my long time mechanic Hans used to carry VW & 914 engines & transaxles around all day long. He's a big guy - if Austria played American Football, then he'd have been a Tackle, his son Hansie did play Rugby as a Forward. However, Hans Sr. threw out his back years ago doing that, and at 72 now - he leaves it to the young-uns! biggrin.gif

So for mere mortals use proper lifting technique (bend at knees squat lift), & bring a helper, back brace, and a ramp for getting the dolly up to your vehicle of choice.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mepstein
QUOTE(Rand @ Jun 7 2018, 10:20 PM) *

325lbs. Still a 2 person job.
Unobtanium-inc
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jun 8 2018, 03:47 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 7 2018, 09:18 PM) *

Scotty B and I loaded a 6 (with carbs, air cleaner, etc.) in the back of my truck by ourselves. They are heavy...but it can be done.

Don't get in the van, no matter what he promises you.

"Want some sport seats, step into the van..."

xperu
QUOTE(Dougster @ Jun 7 2018, 10:19 PM) *

That's what I was thinking too. When I removed my engine and trans together for rebuild, I lowered it onto a furniture dolly, then easily down the driveway and onto the back of a trailer using a ramp. One guy pushing and another to push and steady. Mike
mepstein
The little furniture dolly is fine for a four engine. I have a chassis on two of the $8 wood dollys.
Tdskip
Thanks guys, appreciate the discussion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.