Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Brake Caliper Rebuild on 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Two914s
I am rebuilding a pair of 1974 front brake calipers for my 914. They have two brake bleeder screws which distinquish them from the earlier style that has only one bleeder screw...

Anyway, the square seals that go into the grove in the caliper are not symetrical. They are thicker on one side than the other. I am thinking that the thick side goes away from the pad side of the piston...right? I think that would be right. The stock ones that came out seemed to be symetrical.

I hate guessing when dealing with brakes! I always remember when I am at 100 miles an hour. hmmmm....did I put those seals in right?
JFJ914
I don't know for sure, but here's my SWAG. The seal serves two purposes, keeps the fluid in and retracts the piston when presure is released. Therefore, I would put the flat side of the seal toward the pad as I THINK that would be a better retractor.
Eric_Shea
Huh? confused24.gif

I'm numbering into the hundreds on caliper rebuilds now. Every kit I have on the shelf is symetrical, and I'm looking at the very complete FAG kits.

blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.