Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fire extinguisher
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
Anybody recommend a small type 4 fire extinguisher? I'd like a small one I can keep in the car. I have a Class BC one, but it won't put out a magnesium fire.

I couldn't find a small one, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Coondog
Amazon. Purple K is the only way to go, trust me I am a Fireman, works great on metal fires.

AmerexB410T, 2.5lb Purple K Chemical Class B C Fire Extinguisher
4.9 out of 5 stars 20 customer reviews | 7 answered questions
Was: $50.99
Price: $45.99 & FREE Shipping.Details
You Save: $5.00 (10%)
New (4) from $45.99 & FREE shipping.
Dave_Darling
IIRC, Purple K is one of the agents that eats aluminum. And wire insulation.

If I'm correct in that, only use it if you need it to get yourself (and/or other people) out of the car. Because once you use it inside the car, you will need to replace much of the wiring harness, plus the crankcase of the engine. And possibly the transmission as well; not sure how that would do with Purple K.

I may be thinking of a different dry-chemical extinguisher, but at least one of them did the above.

--DD
Coondog
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 8 2018, 06:33 PM) *

IIRC, Purple K is one of the agents that eats aluminum. And wire insulation.

I may be thinking of a different dry-chemical extinguisher, but at least one of them did the above.

--DD

Sorry not true. Like any powered agent it is best to blow off the residue with an air hose. It’s when it comes in contact with water then left to dry which causes problems.
If water is applied after the dry chem agent make sure it’s flushed with copious amounts of water.
For electrical fires buy a Halotron fire extinguisher. I carry both in my 914.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.