Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Better headlights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tazz9924
Hello! After a substantially scary drive through a monsoon in my 914 last night I decided I need significantly better headlights and im looking for suggestions.
ConeDodger
I got these from 914rubber.com. The comparison is an H4 bulb in an H4 housing to an LED bulb in an H4 housing. Significantly whiter and brighter.
mepstein
I use the 7" LED's that jeep wranglers use. Plug and play. Modern, high performance light.
thelogo
QUOTE(tazz9924 @ Jun 9 2018, 12:13 PM) *

Hello! After a substantially scary drive through a monsoon in my 914 last night I decided I need significantly better headlights and im looking for suggestions.

Just not a fan of hid or led lights because they effectively
Blind the person in the car across from you

Just doesn't seem very safe to me
mepstein
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 9 2018, 04:06 PM) *

Like many, mine don’t. They have the same cut off as stock lights.
Coondog
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 9 2018, 01:06 PM) *

The 914 sits so low it’s a non issue, been running mine in my head and fog lights for a couple years now and have never been flashed by a car coming the opposite direction.

Last time I checked every car being sold now runs hid or led lights.......it’s those Fnnnn blue tint lights that hurt the eyes.
Porschef
Yes, exactly.

Mark, do you have a part/model #? There's a couplafew of them out there.

Thanks
sithot
QUOTE(Porschef @ Jun 9 2018, 04:23 PM) *

Yes, exactly.

Thanks

www.carmagic.us

http://carmagic.us/led7.html

Englebert is a great guy to deal with.

mepstein

Yes, exactly.

Thanks

These are not cheap but are plug and play in a couple minutes. I live in the woods. No street lights and animals jump out all the time. These lights are the closest you can get to driving in daytime. Everything is easier to see and you don't overdrive the light. The high beam is like a sun. They look a little strange because the low beam is only the lower half of the light. I don't care since I am not showing the car and I don't see them while driving or parked. I have not tried the other models of LED's so I don't know how everything compares but I would buy these again. They are easily removable if you show your car.

Sometimes there are $100 off offers and sometimes when you put them in your cart on Amazon but then remove them, you will get an offer for a discount the next time you go on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270C-LE...e+led&psc=1
Porschef
Thanks Mark, greatly appreciated.

We've been overrun with deer last couple years. And while i don't drive my car at night alot, any edge is helpful. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 9 2018, 06:40 PM) *

Yes, exactly.

Thanks

These are not cheap but are plug and play in a couple minutes. I live in the woods. No street lights and animals jump out all the time. These lights are the closest you can get to driving in daytime. Everything is easier to see and you don't overdrive the light. The high beam is like a sun. They look a little strange because the low beam is only the lower half of the light. I don't care since I am not showing the car and I don't see them while driving or parked. I have not tried the other models of LED's so I don't know how everything compares but I would buy these again. They are easily removable if you show your car.

Sometimes there are $100 off offers and sometimes when you put them in your cart on Amazon but then remove them, you will get an offer for a discount the next time you go on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27270C-LE...e+led&psc=1

I like mine because they don't look like I put modern lighting on the car. Kind of the Original but custom concept. But I bet those jeep lights are brighter Mark... sunglasses.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(thelogo @ Jun 10 2018, 08:06 AM) *

Another sweeping statement......so all modern cars blind people with their headlights,not that I have noticed dry.gif
branston
I run these they are awesome, they don't dazzle and the make my 912e and 914 safley drive-able at night.

https://vintagecarleds.com/

or contact these guys:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/det....php?id=2174710

they actually look like stock lights unlike the Trucklite offering.

914work
QUOTE(branston @ Jun 9 2018, 07:13 PM) *

I run these they are awesome, they don't dazzle and the make my 912e and 914 safley drive-able at night.

or contact these guys:

I like those better than the ones 914 rubber offers as it omits the big ole heat sink sticking out the back. About the same price too. idea.gif
porschetub
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 10 2018, 03:47 PM) *

QUOTE(branston @ Jun 9 2018, 07:13 PM) *

or contact these guys:

I like those better than the ones 914 rubber offers as it omits the big ole heat sink sticking out the back. About the same price too. idea.gif

True and you can't use the H4 sealing cap....I found that out and made some which I have no idea will keep the water out sad.gif .
Mark Henry
The question I have is do any of the LEDs throw the light farther than the halogen?
Brighter and the distance the light is thrown is two different things.

The wife's car has LEDs, great for up close, but high beam they absolutely suck for high speed backroad driving.
Also while not deal breaker on a 914, but they don't produce enough heat to clear the lens of ice in the winter.

I'd like to see some up to date real world tests on how far the light is thrown.

https://www.carfax.com/blog/are-led-headlights-better
mepstein
Mine do. Look on Jeep forums. They are used a lot. They are supposed to last 50,000 hours so it should be a lifetime bulb.

I really like that led’s draw less amps and less stress on our old wires.
Mikey914
Well we did a Tech forum for WCR where we installed the LEDs in my car in about 30 min. A simple process. There are those that say that they are blinding as they are actually quite bright. We could easily see the difference and its impressive. One of the best easy upgrades you can do with your car.

There are many manufacturers for these bulbs and lots of variations. Matt spent 2 years at SEMA going through vendors to weed out the crap. There are a lot of very inexpensive bulbs out there. We are offering the ones that we have found to be the best. They are water proof and easily fit in the space we have without and modifications. As far as light patterns and blinding. This is a function of the lens, and adjustment of the headlight assembly. I drove our the 1st night and the winding roads were a bit sketchy, these are 100% improvement over the stock H4 seal beam, even the Sylvania ones I had "upgraded" to.

We have more inbound and are actually posting up a Group buy!
914work
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 10 2018, 11:48 AM) *
[snip] They are water proof and easily fit in the space we have without and (any) modifications. [snip]

Sorry, I disagree. I did a installation with these on another members car & while ill agree the difference in light output is dramatic they were NOT waterproof.
I found the fitment of the toothed ring to the housing somewhat loose which would likely allow moisture to get into the housing (lens) and as was mentioned above I ended up modifying the rubber sealing boots that came off the H4's they were replacing, to try and improve that situation.
It could be that there are variances in manufacturing of the various 7" H4 lenses out there but that collar should be standard.
I think it worked but it wasn't optimal due to the heat sink.
As an aside I posted a review on the item in the 914rubber site detailing the installation but notice it still inst displayed. confused24.gif
Mikey914
Well lets ask the members that have bought them. The housings are not truly waterproof as that the rubber to seal them are not designed for larger fan but they do squeeze around them.
914work
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 10 2018, 12:45 PM) *
Well lets ask the members that have bought them. The housings are not truly waterproof as that the rubber to seal them are not designed for larger fan but they do squeeze around them.

WTF.gif
So which is it ? They are water proof or they are not waterproof?
You seem to be implying that because I wasn't the guy that payed you the $'s that my 1st hand experience installing them isn't valid or acurate? screwy.gif

The kit I installed did not come with a Rubber seal like the one that comes with the H4 bulbs, was it supposed to, & if not has that changed?
And as was mentioned prior by "a member that has bought them", I also had to make do by modifying the existing seal to fit around the large heat sink that sticks out the back do to my concern that the fitment of the 3 prong bulb collar to housing was less than ideal and would NOT be watertight.
Mikey914
The rubber seal comes with the housings. If you just bought the bulbs, you will have to re use your old seal, bur buy a set that comrs with it. The housing is what I would caagorize as water resistant. The LED units are waterproof.
914work
Thank you for the clarification.
BTW HERE is the original post relating to the install. sunglasses.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.