Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Might get my 1st one for Free
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F1rocco
This site is amazing...I know I am going to enjoy myself...Incredible amount of posts on this forum...Thanks and a big hello goes out to all of you''''''''''''''Heres my new situation::::::::::::::::::::::::: I am at work Friday and a friend of me tells me his neighbor wants to get rid of for free an Orange 1971 914 looks all original ...I went to look at it today and it looks pretty decent...The guy wasnt home so I couldnt get a good look it had a tarp on the top and I couldnt see in(Didnt want to get SHOT)....The lower panels(Rockers) are missing on both sides panels completely missing and from what I see there is some major decay to where they would attach...The rest of the car is rust free and looks all original..Doesnt seem to bow and has an even height of about 7-8 inches.Has nice chrome push bar looks like stock rear wing...Tires still aired up with nice Stock rims...I opened up the rear trunk and It looked brand new..I didnt pull the mat up....Im told the car has been garaged pretty much since 1988.Sticker shows 89...For any car up here it looks like a 70k mile and no winters type car..Im figuring the top leaked at some point and the humidity rotted out the bottoms through the rockers because the windows were closed for 15 years...Just a guess.............................................Im wondering if I SHOULD GRAB THIS CAR???I weld and am mechanical I like racing Motorcycles and run 4x4 trucks so....Im figuring this is an in between for all the other things I like....Oh yeah F1 racing fan as well....Thanks people......
meares
sure...if you can store it....at the bare minimun you could part it out or use it as a parts car.....welcome aboard!
Joe Bob
Free is free.....if the rust isn't bad, you now have a gud platform to build on. Otherwise you have a nice parts catalog. Depends on your storage situation and the people you live with.....

Welcome to the club.
lotus_65
grab the car.

btw, they warned me when i joined that i would have a tough time getting anything else done and they where right. the one thing i AM getting out of this is some great knowledge, you will too!

p.s.~cool, another f1 fan. this year is great w/o the red cars dominating, eh? i have a friend of a friend who is building engines for renault. he used to work for polaris here in minnesota and is getting some credit for that team's gains. go 'nando!
F1rocco
Theres some good rot right towards the front of the rear tire on the very bottom of 1/4 panel chasis area..I hoping that isnt a UniBody main support..That looked to have a 3 inch hole...Ill call my guy tonight to set up a meeting with this 914.......
Bleyseng
Sounds like the typical rust...right below the battery tray, on the top of long, thru to the side of the long/rocker. Major welding usually so I hope you like welding! welder.gif

Pics of the rusted areas will help us to help you.
bondo
The rust is always worse than it appears at first.. you could be in for something like this.

Be prepared to use it for parts to transfer to a good shell if that's what makes sense.
jet1
Welcome to the club from another NY'er!! smilie_pokal.gif It's good to see more east coast people join. How far upstate are you? There are not many 914's in the area, so try to save the free one if you can.
kenpolives
Hi There, I'm in Albany, where about are you? Grab the car, worse thing we part it out and cut it into little pieces.

Don
F1rocco
In Rochester NY (Upstate)....Yeah Im gonna make a call in a few hours....Finalize the deal............Look ya say I can part it and cut her up...I cant do that though.......
matt_o_70
Hello,
Just wanted to drop a line..
I am in rochester so if this deal goes through .. it would be nice to see your project along..

Matt
GWN7
Free is free. Grab the car and then start reading the rust repair threads that have been posted here. There are two or three threads that show the exact same repairs that you will have to make to keep the car drivable.

As mentioned if you have no problems with storage you can do the repairs yourself and have a good platform to start with.

Oh... and welcome to the club beerchug.gif
Dead Air
WHooo-hooo
I'm tellin' ya! we gotta good start here!! The "western NY 914 club.com" Three more members and we can split off on our own!
No more tanned, so cal, chablis sipping, trailer queens!!
No more rust-free, GT flared, 3.0, five spoke, Yokahama treaded posers. Flaunting their numbers in big white circles and their Peilcan Parts sponsered track cars.
Them with their Excellence Magazine features and their "I don't even KNOW where the top is!"
Their too many sunny days...And twisty canyon roads that either end at the Pacific 0cean or a really cool tequila bar up in the mountains!
And their snide "know it all" advice about how to rebuild my D-jet fuel injection, or how to restore a teener on less than $14,000!!
I've had it up to here with their 9:14 am breakfasts and their 22 hour, 16 member Jenny car tear downs and rebuilds, And I'm not even that tall!
Go ahead Rocco, post away... See if I care!!

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif Get used to it!

Or how about one of these?: MDB2.gif

Or this beer3.gif

Gather around kids: I see Jenny, and I see Miles and I see Andy and Dave, Look there's the two Captains and they brought the two Joes!

And the most important Smiley of all wink.gif

happy11.gif
beerchug.gif
pray.gif
Jeroen
shoot some pics of the rusty areas and post 'em here
we should be able to give you some idea of how bad it is (or isn't)

then again... if it's free and you can store it
go get it!
Dead Air
I can already tell it's a POS. Give me the address, tell the guy I'll give him $50.00 (and "put the gun down") and tow it to my house for free!

Cap't Tripps! FS: Nice roller for 6 conversion, $400 biggrin.gif
i love porsche
welcome!

its good to have some more people in my general area....we need to have a meet one of these days!

i got my first 914 up in binhamton, so you could say its another new york 914
Cap'n Krusty
"First one for free"? That's how they get you hooked; "Come on, kid, try it .................. You'll like it, make you feel sooooo gooooodd!" Down the slippery slope ................... The Cap'n
F1rocco
Yeah I know I am starting to feel it already...I just found out some guy with a 924 was supposed to look at it but hasnt yet.Been a week already hes a no show...Im feeling the pressure.......
ein 6er
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2005, 04:28 PM)
"First one for free"? That's how they get you hooked; "Come on, kid, try it .................. You'll like it, make you feel sooooo gooooodd!" Down the slippery slope ................... The Cap'n

yup ........ what he said!!

be veeeeeeeery careful!!!!! is this guy a parts pusher or something?? suuuuuuuure ..... he'll give you the car for free, but then you will need fuel hoses or a clutch cable or bigger brakes or god forbid .... more hp!! and the next thing you know it's on jack stands and you're on the 914 step program!! laugh.gif

welcome!!
F1rocco
Well I made it happen...I got my first one.......I need some things...Not nearly as nice as I thought,,but Ill take it...Cost $60 + a $5 for a tip to the Flat bed driver......

user posted image

PICS>>>>>Day 1 for the 914<<<<<<<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.