Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Center Cushion Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
I’m doing some interior work and can’t seem to nail down what type of center cushion I should have in my ‘74. I thought it should be the style that is a wooden box with a top that is hinged at the back. There are holes in center tunnel that seem to support this type of center cushion/box.

What I have in the car is the plastic bin that has a center cushion that just sits in the plastic box. I’m not sure this is correct, though. The plastic bin has two screw holes that are screwed in horizontally on the cross member. I don’t have any holes there so I’m thinking this box isn’t correct.

But then plastic box seems logical as Porsche moved towards the end of production (plastic inner door handle bezels, plastic under the passenger armrest, etc.). Google doesn’t help. Hard to see this area and the pics I’ve found that show it show both styles.

Anybody know when the change occurred?
JeffBowlsby
wooden box with a top that is hinged at the back
Dave_Darling
I believe that the hinged box style went with the center console, specifically. If there was no center console, I think the plastic tray was used.

I'm not certain about that, though....

You might have a look through the Originality forum to see if there is any reference there.

--DD
Rob-O
Thanks Jeff.

Good idea, Dave. That makes sense. If the car had a center console it had a hinges box. If it didn’t have the center console then the plastic tray was used. Off to the originality forum (and probably the classifieds after that).
Tom_T
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 10 2018, 09:44 AM) *

I believe that the hinged box style went with the center console, specifically. If there was no center console, I think the plastic tray was used.

I'm not certain about that, though....

You might have a look through the Originality forum to see if there is any reference there.

--DD

No Guys. The hinged cushion type was the one supplied factory on all with factory center console/gauges - as Jeff said above.

More often than not, the plastic bin with removable cushion was sold/installed at the dealerships - although there could be a few factory installs of them out there, I'm not positive.

Rob, not sure if your 74 is a 2L or 1.8 since you have no VIN listed nor anything in your sig (hint, hint type.gif ), but if you have either the original window sticker &/or a COA, then fir 74 it should include all options on the car (only `73 MY doesn't list the 2.0L "914S's" Appearance & Performance Groups on the COAs).

FYI, the Appearance Group included the hinged center cushion/leatherette covered wood storage box & center console/3 gauges in all 73-76 MYs - as they never changed that to plastic in later MYs.

If yours was a `74 base level low/no option 2L or 1.8, then it may have had the plastic tray from the start (dealer added or maybe factory), but more likely that plastic one in there was a later OO or PO add-on accessory.

Usually the 4 screw holes indicated the wood box type, but the plastic one may use the same holes to mount it too, since IIRC the screw holes may have been pre-stamped on the 73> bodies. So screw holes won't be a sure tell.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////

Tom_T
QUOTE(Rob-O @ Jun 10 2018, 10:07 AM) *

If the car had a center console it had a hinges box. If it didn’t have the center console then the plastic tray was used.

That probably makes sense Rob, since the back of the center console's tray area is a pretty close fit on the hinged cushion type box in my 73 2L, & IIRC the plastic tray's drop-in cushion hangs forward of the tray front edge - so the center console would interfere. BTW - the center consoles were also wood with leatherette vinyl over.

Either way, you need your original window sticker &/or a COA (which is actually correct for a change) to tell which yours came with from the factory.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Rob-O
Thanks Tom. I don’t have the COA, but multiple things point to this being an appearance group car.

When I bought the car in the early 2000’s it was a basket case. No motor/trans. It has a 1.8L now and non-matching. I’m not super interested in every little thing being stock, but in this case the plastic bin is cracked in multiple places and the pad is in desperate need of being recovered. So in this case since I need to source a new box I’ll look for what belongs there.

You’re right that the front of the plastic bin has screws in it and that the cushion hangs slightly over the tray, causing interference on the center console.

I should’ve looked in the O&H forum to begin with, there are two or three relatively recent posts asking my same question.
914Sixer
URO makes new plastic stray. Retail about $37.
Mikey914
We make the plastic trays at $25 just not listed yet, let me know I can get you one.
Also make the boxes and are doing more up this week.
StarBear
I also have a '74 with appearance group - original owner. Mine has center console with original wood box with cushion on top and screws in the back, as others above have noted.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.