Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boxster S Tranny Mount for LS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
I'll start this on a new thread since I previously posted to an old thread and the responses addressed the motor in the title. I'm looking for ideas for fabricating the mount for this tranny matched to a 5.3 LS. I have most of the parts minus the mount. I'm aware of Renegades solution, which would be OK if not for the cost. Part of my concerns are attachment from the mount to the tranny, so I don't tear off an ear or crack the case. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance -
Mike Bellis
Different motor, similar tranny. I set this up to be modular. I can fit just about any tranny/engine combo jut by modifying the cradle's connecting mounts. This is the 5th engine in the car, so I made this cradle. I can swap easily between my Boxster 5 speed and 6 speed trannies.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Beebo Kanelle
Wow. That is impressive.
Joemo5
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 10 2018, 11:54 AM) *

Different motor, similar tranny. I set this up to be modular. I can fit just about any tranny/engine combo jut by modifying the cradle's connecting mounts. This is the 5th engine in the car, so I made this cradle. I can swap easily between my Boxster 5 speed and 6 speed trannies.

That cradle is awesome. I'd bet that ads some rigidity to the chassis. Several questions: Do you have any pictures of it installed? Wall thickness on the tubing? and how much does it weigh?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Joemo5 @ Jun 10 2018, 11:04 AM) *

That cradle is awesome. I'd bet that ads some rigidity to the chassis. Several questions: Do you have any pictures of it installed? Wall thickness on the tubing? and how much does it weigh?

It weighs 23 pounds. I used 5/8" and 3/4" DOM tubing in .120 wall. It is solid. No good pics on this computer on it installed.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Jun 10 2018, 02:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Joemo5 @ Jun 10 2018, 11:04 AM) *

It weighs 23 pounds. I used 5/8" and 3/4" DOM tubing in .120 wall. It is solid. No good pics on this computer on it installed.

Beautiful design and execution.
In the last pic the two separate parts would be mounted on the inside
to mount a SBC ?
914forme
You would be kinda correct, their is actually 4 separate specific mounts in the picture. Two outside the cradle would be for the Audi engine he used, the two at the back inside the frame would be for the Audi/Boxster transaxle mount.

What is being show is a cradle that can house a wide variety of inline or V engine configurations.

All that being said the design allows for multiple engines and trans combinations by changing the 4 independent pieces. With out making the major cradle changes each time.

So to install an LS based engine, with a Boxster trans best case would be two new front mounts. If the spacing is to your liking, worse case 4 new mounts.

Anyway you slice it, it is a interesting design.

Adding rigidity to the chassis, nothing any more significant than if you put an engine and trans in with solid mounts and proper triangulation. Not saying it would not help, but I don't think you gain much unless you have triangulation to all the suspension mounts etc.........

Mike you always come up with some interesting stuff pray.gif And that is what I like about your builds.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.