Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil pressure port helicoil
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nditiz1
So I wanted to add a dual post sender to keep the light and have a gauge. Well upon trying to install the grease gun hose I noticed it wouldn't fit. The sensor that came out appears to be an OEM one. Then I saw a helicoil installed. I haven't found what the size is. I'm guessing it is a 10mx1.0 helicoil but then why wouldnt the 1/8 npt fit. confused24.gif
iankarr
Lots of discussion on this, but bottom line is that npt isn’t an exact fit. I used the kit in this link to set up dual senders.

http://www.42draftdesigns.com/vw-audi-oil-...relocation-kit/
porschetub
Seem to remember the thread size is the same as is the diameter but the NPT is tapered and the oil switch is parallel and seals with an alloy washer.
Someone please correct me if I'am wrong beer.gif .
McMark
QUOTE(porschetub @ Jun 10 2018, 04:43 PM) *

Seem to remember the thread size is the same as is the diameter but the NPT is tapered and the oil switch is parallel and seals with an alloy washer.
Someone please correct me if I'am wrong beer.gif .

Original is 10x1.0 taper.
nditiz1
Thanks all.

I think that 42 draft designs is the way to go. I kind of pieced that kit together from readings before I posted this. I was trying to see if anyone ran into a similar issue with helicoil in that port.

I did buy another hose just to check and was able to start that one. It grabbed hard and after pulling it out noticed the helicoil was digging into the threads thereby solidifying it is a m10x1.0 helicoil (at least I'm 90% sure lol). I have the npt to metric adapter coming in the mail. I think I will try that adapter next to see if it goes. If it does then I'm in business and if not then I will use the hose directly in. Either way I will use thread sealant - loctite 565.
porschetub
VDO had or still have a stand up fitting so you can fit the idiot light and a pressure sensor ,not a fan of them IMO they are a bit fragile and could let go as only made of brass.
There is a VDO 2 pole unit (x2 function) that I put on my 6 motor which negated the vdo standup fitting,reads oil pressure and function for the idiot light @ 5lbs,bought mine of ebay but don't remember the cost ...works fine.
Could be a solution for your situation however I would suspect your case has been helicoiled for a parallel thread,my experience with grease lines is how much pressure they can hold for grease,just thinking how they go with hot oil running through them the core composition needs to be right for application,just asking.
McMark
Loctite 565 isn't great for pressure applications. Use 518. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.